Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Male-positive TV Shows and Movies

So neither of these movies are 'perfect' but i thought they had good male vibe in them

The Finishers - A french film about a Paralised teenager who discovers his fathers past attempt at an Ironman Triathlon and his wish to do one with his father.

Chef - This movie I though had many good points 1)despite being divorced mother still wants the fathers involvement and encourages that 2) The father doesn't have to sacrifice himself to be of any use or win his family back. In fact its the father rediscovering himself and his strengths that is what 'wins the day'. 3) the co worker as the outside role model for the boy. I liked this the best as I saw in him many men from my child hood. Men who tried the very best to be good role models for boys that are not their own.
    I see this outside role model as being very important. A father can be sometimes a little over protective of his own son, but others are more willing to let him explore boundaries more example trying his first beer in the movie. Rather than done in secrecy with his friends in bushes, its now done in the far safer environment of adults.

St Vincent - I watched this one with initial caution, grumpy, drunk, gambling old man raises son of newly divorced mother.
    Things I liked - Vincent didn't have to be 'perfect' to be good. Despite the mother not liking the father of her child, she accepts that he has a right to still be a father.

Surviving Jack

Quote Originally Posted by LiamWolf View Post
    anything else? I'm running out of tv series to watch
    I found a TV show "Surviving Jack." It was funny as hell. It had a strong male father and role model taking his son through puberty. You'll laugh your ass off.

It only lasted one season and stars Christopher Meloni, from law & Order SVU. I guess the powers that be didn't think a show with a strong male role model would sell.

Blog Entries
    Transformers- all but one autobot is male. The only female is in the cartoons. Her name is Kaycee, she transforms into a motorcycle, and a young human male "rides" her.
    In action, she is very brave, but significantly smaller than the male autobot's, and is not shown to be impossibly competent and dangerous as per usual when Hollywood has female action heroes.
    The good Transformers are the Autobots, and they are shown as extremely brave and noble, unhesitatingly jumping into a fight, even against overwhelming odds, to defend the good.
    The movies always have a delicious babe of course, but she serves mostly as eye-candy, or as a damsel in distress motivation for the human guys.
    I get to see a lot of Transformers because my 3 boys like them, and I approve of them. There is nothing in them attacking maleness, and instead, it celebrates it.
    It reminds me of the original Star Trek. Eye candy ladies every week in skimpy costumes, Captain Kirk refusing to lose, Good Guys Win!

I just ordered a few dvd's for the kids amongst which Transformers, some more Tintin and The Smurfs. All with great male rolemodels and no action chicks. Also ordered Niko And The Flying Brigade, a Finnish production from a few years back, probably known in the US as The Flight Before Christmas. It's an endearing story of a little courageous male reindeer who goes in search of his father together with a male squirrel. Not entirely free of man ridiculing but still doable and no action chicks.

dead wood
    Sherlock (BBC)
    film: the scent of a woman (Al Pacino's famous 'hoo haa')
    fight club
    Donnie Brasco (Al Pacino, johnny depp, mafia movie about an undercover CIA agent infiltrating the mafia)
    full metal jacket (the hell of forced state slavery known as military conscription)

American beauty...now this may be controversial but it shows the nature of some hypergamous women and blue pill men who do everything for their wives and are still treated like crap and when he does his own thing she get's highly 'offended' ie she pays no emotional, romantic or sexual attention to him and then goes mental and convinces herself she's the victim when he just does his own thing and starts to look at younger women...what does she expect?
    it also explores the route of militant homophobia.

i find shows and films that explore and demonstrate gender stereo types and media gender bias interesting so i can pick them apart...up to a point it still has to be well made and well acted though, the propaganda doesn't work on you if you easily see it every time
    "There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all."
    Mario Savio

"A single, seemingly powerless person who dares to cry out the word of truth
    and to stand behind it with all his person and all his life, ready to pay a
    high price, has, surprisingly, greater power, though formally disfranchised,
    than do thousands of anonymous voters."
    Vaclav Havel
    'if you want to know who rules you, look at who you're not allowed to criticise' Voltaire

The Transformers dvd I recently bought, unfortunately appears to be a newer HD 3D version of the series, in which they have added 'action chicks' with coloured hair and tats. If can point me to dvds of The Transformers which do not contain action chicks, it would be much appreciated.

S.O.A is a good show and when it boils down to it is a about the bond between 'brothers'
    \"i\'m nobody that you ever wanna be,cos i know that the world is afraid of me\"

I think it might be time to reboot this thread.
    Several new shows have come out and should be added. Surprizingly man-hating Disney has 2 old shows in here and ABC has 1.
    Gotham: the first time in a long time I am seeing female villians without a tragic backstory that a man did to them
    Gravity Falls
    Phineas and Ferb
    Modern Family: The guy responsible for "No Mam", perhaps the first iteration of MRA in the media is now a surprising powerful good, competent and highly intelligent male patriarch of an extended family.

Blog Entries

(Here's a few that I like, in no particular order...)

The Martian
    --An astronaut becomes stranded on Mars after his team assume him dead, and must rely on his ingenuity to find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive. (The book was even better and IMO, well worth the read-- doesn't detract from the movie or vice-versa)

Secondhand Lions -- (One of my personal favorites) A coming-of-age story about a shy, young boy sent by his irresponsible mother to spend the summer with his wealthy, eccentric uncles in Texas.

I Am Sam -- A mentally handicapped man fights for custody of his 7-year-old daughter, and in the process teaches his cold hearted lawyer the value of love and family.

The Station Agent
    -- When his only friend dies, a man born with dwarfism moves to rural New Jersey to live a life of solitude, only to meet a chatty hot dog vendor and a woman dealing with her own personal loss.

The Man Without a Face -- The film takes place in 1968. For the past seven years, Justin McLeod (Gibson) has been living an isolated existence as a reclusive painter following a car accident which left him disfigured on the right side of his face and chest by burns sustained in a post-crash fire.

Robot & Frank -- Set in the near future, an ex-jewel thief receives a gift from his son: a robot butler programmed to look after him. But soon the two companions try their luck as a heist team.

Big Fish -- A frustrated son tries to determine the fact from fiction in his dying father's life.

My Cousin Vinny
    -- (IMO, one of the funniest movies of all time) Two New Yorkers are accused of murder in rural Alabama while on their way back to college, and one of their cousins--an inexperienced, loudmouth lawyer not accustomed to Southern rules and manners--comes in to defend them.

Armageddon -- After discovering that an asteroid the size of Texas is going to impact Earth in less than a month, N.A.S.A. recruits a misfit team of deep core drillers to save the planet.

GhostBusters -- Three former parapsychology professors set up shop as a unique ghost removal service.

Big -- When a pre-teen boy wishes to be big at a magic wish machine, he wakes up the next morning and finds himself in an adult body.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty -- When his job along with that of his co-worker are threatened, Walter takes action in the real world embarking on a global journey that turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined.

Patch Adams -- The true story of a heroic man, Hunter Patch Adams, determined to become a medical doctor because he enjoys helping people. He ventured where no doctor had ventured before, using humor and pathos.

Rocky -- Rocky Balboa, a small-time boxer, gets a supremely rare chance to fight the heavy-weight champion, Apollo Creed, in a bout in which he strives to go the distance for his self-respect.

Bridge Over the River Kwai -- After settling his differences with a Japanese PoW camp commander, a British colonel co-operates to oversee his men's construction of a railway bridge for their captors - while oblivious to a plan by the Allies to destroy it.

Raiders of the Lost Ark -- Archaeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones is hired by the U.S. government to find the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis.

The Flight of the Phoenix -- Survivors of a plane crash in the Mongolian desert work together to build a new plane.

M.A.S.H -- The staff of a Korean War field hospital use humor and hijinks to keep their sanity in the face of the horror of war.

HUGO -- Set in 1930s Paris, an orphan who lives in the walls of a train station is wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father and an automaton.

Spare Parts -- Four Hispanic high school students form a robotics club. With no experience, 800 bucks, used car parts and a dream, this rag tag team goes up against the country's reigning robotics champion, MIT.

October Sky -- The true story of Homer Hickam, a coal miner's son who was inspired by the first Sputnik launch to take up rocketry against his father's wishes.

Dead Poets Society
    -- English teacher John Keating inspires his students to look at poetry with a different perspective of authentic knowledge and feelings.

Stand by Me -- After the death of a friend, a writer recounts a boyhood journey to find the body of a missing boy.

Saint Ralph -- Saint Ralph is the unlikely story of Ralph Walker, a ninth grader who outran everyone's expectations except his own in his bold quest of trying to win the 1954 Boston Marathon.

Simon Birch -- A young boy with stunted growth is convinced that God has a great purpose for him.

Saving Private Ryan -- Following the Normandy Landings, a group of U.S. soldiers go behind enemy lines to retrieve a paratrooper whose brothers have been killed in action.

Hamburger Hill -- A very realistic interpretation of one of the bloodiest battles of the Vietnam War.

The Cider House Rules -- A compassionate young man, raised in an orphanage and trained to be a doctor there, decides to leave to see the world.

The Life of David Gale -- A man against capital punishment is accused of murdering a fellow activist and is sent to death row.

Pay It Forward -- A young boy attempts to make the world a better place after his teacher gives him that chance.

John Q -- John Quincy Archibald takes a hospital emergency room hostage when his insurance won't cover his son's heart transplant.
    FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
    It's time to call it out for what it is.

The World of Men - Men's Rights / MGTOW / Sites of Interest to Men

http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showt...nterest-to-Men

this movie was good.

do yourself a favour and watch it if you want a mindless relaxing movie thats not about man-bashing.