Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the main girl from the new Star Wars a Mary Sue?

what a surprise, calling anyone who speaks about the characters Mary Sueness a misogynist

What’s not to love? Especially given the frankly misogynist Internet pushback on Rey being too great, it’s been tough to remember that the toxic online echo chamber doesn’t speak for the world as a whole. This is a great reminder: Rey isn’t just winning this poll, she is, at the time of publishing this post, winning it in a landslid

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...ite-character?

[QUOTE=astr592;167039]what a surprise, calling anyone who speaks about the characters Mary Sueness a misogynist

LOL. Rey needs feminism about as much as a fish needs a bicycle. She's a survivor, not a self-imposed victim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by astr592 View Post
    saw the movie, and Oh my Fuck, Rey is probably one of the worst Mary Sue's I have ever seen.

what is worse is that people are praising her as if she is some kind of great character

no doubt this will encourage writers to put more Mary Sues in their stories, as this seems to be what people want

welp
    Fair enough.

I just wish everyone would watch the movie (as you did) then come their own conclusions.

I read a bunch of MRM shit about Mad Max being 'feminist' and then was shocked to actually watch it and discover that I didn't think it was at all.
    "Being a cunt doesn't make you wrong." ComradePrescott

Quote Originally Posted by Kimski View Post

LOL. Rey needs feminism about as much as a fish needs a bicycle. She's a survivor, not a self-imposed victim.

Yeh, at first sight it looks to be somewhat feminist, because 'she's so amazing at everything'. But there may come really good explanations for her picking up abilities very fast in the next movie(s). There are some 'feminist sprinkles' in the movie, and I first found it to be a weak movie compared to IV, V and VI, but the more I think about it, the more it may just be a very ingenious plot that hasn't fully unfolded yet.

Rey is not some sassy, bigmouthed, man-denigrating girl. She's a survivor like you say and I'm really curious about how they're going to forward with this new saga.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berne View Post
    Yeh, at first sight it looks to be somewhat feminist, because 'she's so amazing at everything'. But there may come really good explanations for her picking up abilities very fast in the next movie(s). There are some 'feminist sprinkles' in the movie, and I first found it to be a weak movie compared to IV, V and VI, but the more I think about it, the more it may just be a very ingenious plot that hasn't fully unfolded yet.

Rey is not some sassy, bigmouthed, man-denigrating girl. She's a survivor like you say and I'm really curious about how they're going to forward with this new saga.
    That's the crux of it for me. The only bit that struck me as overtly 'feministy' was the whole 'don't hold my hand' line.

Then again is that really different Princess Leia's 'you had a plan to get yourself into here but not a plan to get any of us out' rant she throws at Han Solo upon first meeting him (and Luke) in New Hope?

As for the rest of it IF Rey's abilities aren't adequately explained in the next couple of movies all the detractors will have their day in the sun. But I think the jury ought to stay out until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    That's the crux of it for me. The only bit that struck me as overtly 'feministy' was the whole 'don't hold my hand' line.

Then again is that really different Princess Leia's 'you had a plan to get yourself into here but not a plan to get any of us out' rant she throws at Han Solo upon first meeting him (and Luke) in New Hope?

As for the rest of it IF Rey's abilities aren't adequately explained in the next couple of movies all the detractors will have their day in the sun. But I think the jury ought to stay out until then.

here is a fantastic post someone made on IMDB that basically says how Luke would have been like if he had been portrayed like Rey in ANH

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/.../252049846?p=1

it really is 100% true. Believe me, I assumed Rey being Mary Sue was an exaggeration but seriously it's like this character is a parody of Mary Sues. She is shown to be perfect at repairing things, flying, seems to be better at repairing the Millennium Falcon than Han Solo, all the other characters are immediately impressed and love her, and of course she masters the Jedi mind trick and other force powers and is able to fight and take down a man trained in the Dark Side in record time.

I have nothing against the actress though, she was very good and also pretty cute.
    Now I know, the popular theory is that she is Luke's daughter and I really hope that is true, but we nothing is really said for sure in this movie. Due to all the feminist BS and complaints about movies being sexist and not having strong women, I wouldn't be surprised if she is not related to anyone and the reason she is able to do this is simply because she is a "strong, independent woman"

and of course we have the typical reaction from everyone. Anyone who dares say anything about Rey is immediately branded a hateful, sexist, misogynist who can't handle "strong female characters" and you have articles like the one I posted above everywhere. It is just cringe inducing

here is an article from a woman who agrees that Rey was just too much. Hopefully more women will speak out as well. I really doubt it is only male fans who have a problem with her, I bet there are a lot of female fans who feel the same as way.

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/op...-megan-mcardle
    Last edited by astr592; 12-30-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    What’s not to love? Especially given the frankly misogynist Internet pushback on Rey being too great, it’s been tough to remember that the toxic online echo chamber doesn’t speak for the world as a whole. This is a great reminder: Rey isn’t just winning this poll, she is, at the time of publishing this post, winning it in a landslid
    It's funny that they'd call the push-back misogynistic.

I think it's the recognition of a larger trend in popular culture. In movies, books and TV people don't become amazing through hard work anymore. They're just born with it. Everyone is wonderful simply for being who they are. Some of that is just about saving time, ignoring a backstory and showing every character as being the absolute best at something, even if they've never done it before.

It's sort of the media equivalent of the participation trophy. People need to be told they're wonderful simply for being....without any effort or results. It does a serious disservice to the people who work to better themselves.

Is there any wonder that narcissism's on the rise?
    "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

Blog Entries
    Now I know, the popular theory is that she is Luke's daughter and I really hope that is true, but we nothing is really said for sure in this movie]
    If she turns out (in the sequel) that she's Luke's daughter and/or a former student of his, will you still consider her to be a mary Sue?

Or would that cause you to revise your opinion of her character in The force awakens?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    If she turns out (in the sequel) that she's Luke's daughter and/or a former student of his, will you still consider her to be a mary Sue?

Or would that cause you to revise your opinion of her character in The force awakens?

I would revise my opinion slightly. Still I don't think it was necessary to basically make the character perfect and without flaws

not to mention allow it to fuel feminism with all these articles coming out about strong females and allowing all criticizers to be shot down by misogyny attacks. Isn't that annoying?

Blog Entries
    not to mention allow it to fuel feminism with all these articles coming out about strong females and allowing all criticizers to be shot down by misogyny attacks. Isn't that annoying?
    But that's the irony that feminists wont appreciate until some situation arises that actually forces them to look at their own flaws: strong females are strong precisely because they've had to face their own flaws.....not because they were born with a vagina. The women who want to believe that a flawless female character is an archetype of "strong femininity" are simply attempting to mask their own flaws with fantasy, never to embrace what those flaws have to teach them.
    "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys