Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everyday Unbeliever

Until I see a dragon elected president, (if you are up on your Shadowrun story,) then the only magic that exists in the world is the magic of the human heart:

Quote Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
    I find another bonus is not having to worry about Hell. I really don't understand how the christians (at least the ones who believe the bible) deal with it. There is supposedly only one hundred and forty four thousand souls that are ever going to be allowed into Heaven. Throughout the entire history of mankind, that's an infinitesimally small number. I would think that you would almost need to be a saint just to be in the window!

If I were still a christian. I think the thought of going to Hell would drive me absolutely bonkers. I mean it's a FUCKING ETERNITY of torture and misery with the likelihood of ending up there being astronomically high, no matter how good of a person you might think you are. I think that this is why many christians choose to claim that the bible is not meant to believed literally. It's a coping mechanism so that they can reconcile a terrifying and horrific concept with a supposedly loving god...
    Did it ever occur to you that once your spirit leaves your temporal existence, time is of no consequence to you anymore. It is said that God operates outside of time. He is in all of time all at once. So to enter into a state such that he is in, would also give your soul the same ability. So your rant about eternity would be fruitless thing to upset you at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by theplummer View Post
    Did it ever occur to you that once your spirit leaves your temporal existence, time is of no consequence to you anymore.
    Actually, someone once did present it to me that way before. The idea of an 'eternity' spent anywhere would be maddening if accepted literally but it's the limited available seating in Heaven that would really cause me to lose a lot of sleep!

Are numbers also meaningless in the afterlife? Does god also operate outside that concept as well???
    "The truth is sometimes a poor competitor in the market of ideas" George F. Kennan

Actually, someone once did present it to me that way before. The idea of an 'eternity' spent anywhere would be maddening if accepted literally but it's the limited available seating in Heaven that would really cause me to lose a lot of sleep!

Are numbers also meaningless in the afterlife? Does god also operate outside that concept as well???
    Actually the 144,000 number you present has caused me to wonder just as you do, in the past.

I however believe I have reconciled with that, in that where scripture speaks of such is in reference to the "chosen people". That would be the Jews. I am a gentile, and scripture does not say how many Gentiles who are Christians will be with him. So, my thoughts are that there will be 144,000 that manage to "live by the law", as the Jews do that will make it.

I however as a Catholic, rest assured that if I die in a state of grace, entrance is a guarantee. Why? Because the church has declared such as truth, and because Jesus gave the Pope(vicar of Christ) the authority to bind and loose, and God will honor such dogma.

I know now this is more than you can accept, but for me, this is a undeniable TRUTH.

You seem to really have an internal conflict going on here. Might I suggest that you watch the videos that I've linked in the everyday believer thread. Maybe you'd at least understand us Catholics a little better.

Actually the 144,000 number you present has caused me to wonder just as you do, in the past.

I however believe I have reconciled with that, in that where scripture speaks of such is in reference to the "chosen people". That would be the Jews. I am a gentile, and scripture does not say how many Gentiles who are Christians will be with him. So, my thoughts are that there will be 144,000 that manage to "live by the law", as the Jews do that will make it.
    Good luck with that my friend. I'm really hoping that it works that way for your sake but I'm guessin' some Jews might not be too happy with that explanation.

Anyway, I guess I should really be thankful that god gave us people like you to help us sort out a bible that is otherwise about as straight forward as one of those blank jig-saw puzzles with half the pieces missing and the instructions written backward in Chinese.

Do Catholics have some sort of secret squirrel biblical decoder ring that the rest of us know nothing about???
    "The truth is sometimes a poor competitor in the market of ideas" George F. Kennan

Quote Originally Posted by Beour3rd View Post
    the race will go to the stars once the 1% find a personal gain in it. ive no doubt we will go off and...

...ruin other planets
    Won't help much against proton decay ...

M

(reference the OP) I find that with Atheism, I can deal with loss and life's disappointments easier by just accepting them as 'shit happens'! I know that there's no magical boogie-man in the sky who is targeting me for any unknown sins or transgressions. I don't wrack my brain trying to figure out why the bad stuff happens. It makes life understandable. I know that sounds pretty 'infantile' but it's what works for me...
    I didn't actually intend to make the thread about anything ending with -eism, except perhaps brieism, for all you lovers of French cheese out there. Preferably a little feminism deconstruction, from time to time, to keep it relevant. But mainly general subjects, on a rationalist basis.

How about this for news?

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...moured-science

M

Good luck with that my friend. I'm really hoping that it works that way for your sake but I'm guessin' some Jews might not be too happy with that explanation.

Anyway, I guess I should really be thankful that god gave us people like you to help us sort out a bible that is otherwise about as straight forward as one of those blank jig-saw puzzles with half the pieces missing and the instructions written backward in Chinese.

Do Catholics have some sort of secret squirrel biblical decoder ring that the rest of us know nothing about???
    Is there any reason to discuss the Faith with you? If you aren't even willing to try to understand, I see no point.

Is there any reason to discuss the Faith with you? If you aren't even willing to try to understand, I see no point.
    Well it's like I said before, the more posts you make reference your beliefs the more RATIONAL folks we'll get turning toward Atheism. That certainly works for me! But M said in post #17 that this sort of discussion wasn't what he had in mind when he started this thread so perhaps we should try and respect that.

We both already know there's absolutely zero possibility that either of us are going to change our minds WRT religious belief anyway...

Well it's like I said before, the more posts you make reference your beliefs the more RATIONAL folks we'll get turning toward Atheism. That certainly works for me! But M said in post #17 that this sort of discussion wasn't what he had in mind when he started this thread so perhaps we should try and respect that.

We both already know there's absolutely zero possibility that either of us are going to change our minds WRT religious belief anyway...
    You are quite the comedian.