Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of censorship ...

Yes, in theory, prior restraint is illegal, although Attempted Suicide laws are only the most blatant example of an exception.

The wikipedia article mentions several, but perhaps the most pernicious is the Invention Secrecy Act:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention_Secrecy_Act

The Invention Secrecy Act of 1951 (Pub.L. 82–256, 66 Stat. 3, enacted February 1, 1952, codified at 35 U.S.C. §§ 181–188) is a body of United States federal law designed to prevent disclosure of new inventions and technologies that, in the opinion of selected federal agencies, present a possible threat to the national security of the United States.

The U.S. government has long sought to control the release of new technologies that might threaten the national defense and economic stability of the country.
    So, got an unlimited, free energy source? Too bad, that would disrupt the economy. A new kind of car engine that runs on grass clippings? Nope. A super-efficient Stirling engine (operates on heat difference; high efficiency means you need less heat difference, i.e. 20 feet underground vs ambient temperature in winter or summer)? Not a chance.

There are around 5,000 inventions covered by the law, which is known from FOIA requests, and the declassified ones were defense related (cryptography and such), but there are persistent rumors that many of the older ones are energy related. One was a new kind of antenna; too good, it turns out, since it could pick up stealth aircraft against the cosmic background radiation, but you had crappy cell phone antennas for 8 years because of this law, and the guy who invented it got screwed.

Anyone want to do some research on the best countries to file a patent in for this kind of thing?
    "There's but three Furies found in spacious hell; But in a great man's breast three thousand dwell."

-Lodovico, The White Devil

Quote Originally Posted by TheNarrator View Post
    thats to better round us all up later.
    That's why you don't use your own, silly!
    "There's but three Furies found in spacious hell; But in a great man's breast three thousand dwell."

-Lodovico, The White Devil

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StrongSilentType View Post
    Yes, in theory, prior restraint is illegal, although Attempted Suicide laws are only the most blatant example of an exception.

The wikipedia article mentions several, but perhaps the most pernicious is the Invention Secrecy Act:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention_Secrecy_Act

So, got an unlimited, free energy source? Too bad, that would disrupt the economy. A new kind of car engine that runs on grass clippings? Nope. A super-efficient Stirling engine (operates on heat difference; high efficiency means you need less heat difference, i.e. 20 feet underground vs ambient temperature in winter or summer)? Not a chance.

There are around 5,000 inventions covered by the law, which is known from FOIA requests, and the declassified ones were defense related (cryptography and such), but there are persistent rumors that many of the older ones are energy related. One was a new kind of antenna; too good, it turns out, since it could pick up stealth aircraft against the cosmic background radiation, but you had crappy cell phone antennas for 8 years because of this law, and the guy who invented it got screwed.

Anyone want to do some research on the best countries to file a patent in for this kind of thing?

Yeah, that one is a little fucked up. I read about that sometime back in the summer. It kind of gets you riled up when you think about it.

Along a similar line, I always wonder if Google (et al) crawl their search requests to see if they can make out any new / good ideas that people have thought up and are researching. Whenever I have a new idea, I am very careful in how I search for information concerning it for just that reason.
    FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
    It's time to call it out for what it is.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.” -Unknown

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
    "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

The worst thing about censorship is ██████ ███████

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    Does the concept of prior restraint prevent censorship (in the US)?

drinking reindeer piss again?
    They are some hundred miles way north of here.

So I ask questions about things do not know. My bad.
    Ask a question, be ignorant one time; don't ask a question, be ignorant for life, my father told me.

M

Yes, in theory, prior restraint is illegal
    Enough to give a legal footing for fighting censorship?

M

Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    use censorship to fight censorship?

how about just freedom of speech...and a forum?
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.” -Unknown

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
    "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    use censorship to fight censorship?

how about just freedom of speech...and a forum?
    IDK what we disagree on here ... AFAICS "prior restraint" has been judged illegal.

M

That's why you don't use your own, silly!
    oh snap

/runs to neighbours
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNarrator View Post
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    ok then.
    What do you mean by this?