Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 91

Thread: Job search aggravation

  1. #1
    Account not Activated
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,594
    Rep Power
    0

    Job search aggravation

    I'm circling the drain at my current job; tips suck, customers are rude and complain no matter what you do (just to get free pizza), and my coworkers are clueless assholes. Worse, my last month's wages averaged out to less than $10/hour, i.e. starting wage at Wal-Mart.

    So I was looking at the job ads, and came across this (details omitted to protect the guilty):

    Local Part Time Delivery Driver Needed !!!

    (google map)

    compensation: $280 weekly/Paid weekly
    employment type: part-time
    Local delivery company needs dedicated delivery drivers immediately.

    3 days per week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday)

    25 hours per week

    PAY - ON AVG $280 PER WEEK

    150 to 175 miles per day on Average.

    Small Pickup Truck Required (ex Ford Ranger)

    Requires $100,000/$300,000/$50,000 liability insurance.

    Must also be able to pass a MVR, background and drug screening checks.

    This is an independent contractor position.

    Some heavy lifting may be required.

    If interested call xxx-xxx-xxxx

    Serious inquiries only

    So.... $11.20/hour, to drive my own truck 500 miles/week (no mention of mileage reimbursement!), with extra insurance, AND pass a drug screen for a contractor position?! Let's see, 25% self employment tax takes us down to $8.40/hour; then take off another $50 in gas each week, so we're down to $6.40/hour; insurance is another $75/month or so, maintenance will add up pretty quickly doing 2000 miles every month....

    What do you want to bet that the employer is utterly mystified about why no one replies to this ad?

  2. #2
    The fact these ads are more the norm than the exception should tell you something. The employers inbox is likely flooded with 100's of people more desperate than you. Welcome to the modern welfare state.

    My favorites are the jobs that require some sort of certification for basic human abilities. Like an entry level receptionist job where you need your 2 year sjw approved filing/typing diploma...guess my technology cert doesn't convey basic skills like that
    Last edited by mik1; 01-31-2017 at 12:25 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member mr_e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,514
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by mik1 View Post
    The fact these ads are more the norm than the exception should tell you something. The employers inbox is likely flooded with 100's of people more desperate than you. Welcome to the modern welfare state.

    My favorites are the jobs that require some sort of certification for basic human abilities. Like an entry level receptionist job where you need your 2 year sjw approved filing/typing diploma...guess my technology cert doesn't convey basic skills like that

    Apparently it doesn't.

    When they talk about "light filing"

    they're talking about their nails...
    FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
    It's time to call it out for what it is.



    The World of Men - Men's Rights / MGTOW / Sites of Interest to Men

    http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showt...nterest-to-Men

  4. #4
    Account not Activated
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,594
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mik1 View Post
    Welcome to the modern welfare state.
    I wish; then I could sign up, and have fewer worries while trying to find a real job.

    "Welfare state," ha!

  5. #5
    Senior Member mr_e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,514
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by StrongSilentType View Post
    I wish; then I could sign up, and have fewer worries while trying to find a real job.

    "Welfare state," ha!
    Just tell 'em you're pregnant and you don't know who the mommy is.
    FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
    It's time to call it out for what it is.



    The World of Men - Men's Rights / MGTOW / Sites of Interest to Men

    http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showt...nterest-to-Men

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by StrongSilentType View Post
    I'm circling the drain at my current job; tips suck, customers are rude and complain no matter what you do (just to get free pizza), and my coworkers are clueless assholes. Worse, my last month's wages averaged out to less than $10/hour, i.e. starting wage at Wal-Mart.

    So I was looking at the job ads, and came across this (details omitted to protect the guilty):




    So.... $11.20/hour, to drive my own truck 500 miles/week (no mention of mileage reimbursement!), with extra insurance, AND pass a drug screen for a contractor position?! Let's see, 25% self employment tax takes us down to $8.40/hour; then take off another $50 in gas each week, so we're down to $6.40/hour; insurance is another $75/month or so, maintenance will add up pretty quickly doing 2000 miles every month....

    What do you want to bet that the employer is utterly mystified about why no one replies to this ad?
    Sign of the times mate. You usually find that unemployment, or lack of alternate employment (aka underemployment), is both structural and cyclic, ie cyclically, during good years it's harder to hire/retain good staff. Structurally however, you may be in a geographic location that has a surplus of labour, which I find very common in the States, due to geographic immobility of labour. In your case you have overcome occupational immobility and unlike some of your unemployed peers you are doing a filler job which keeps your assets from dwindling too rapidly. As the economy moves further out from the Great Recession, things WILL improve cyclically, enabling you to find a more befitting post, but when that will be is anyone's guess.

    I would advise meanwhile the path of least stressfulness. I've never served at tables, but about 10 years back I consulted to a pub chain, whose practice was that annually, ALL Head Office staff spend a week behind the pumps, no exceptions, from the cleaning lady to the MD himself (and he did it, too!!). I thought it was hilarious they were paying my timesheet , @ full hours @ full rate, just for pulling pints, but I can tell you, I never learned so much about the subtle art of expectation management, which is just as effective at your temporary level as it will be in your near future Scientific role, as it would be for Trump himself. We teach each other how to treat us, and that's where I learned how.

    It was there I learned how to intuit the fine line, in terms of body language and demeanour, between the wallflower staff who mumbled, "Hi-there-what-can-i(small 'I')get-you" while struggling fearfully to maintain eye contact, were either pitied or walked all over, and the authoritive yet jovial types, the kinds of guys who could look a group of semi-toasted execs in the eye, smile a wolf's smile (trust me, it's worth practicing), and exclaim at above-average-decibels, "You look like a happy bunch, what are you fellas havin'?"

    See? Strength, but friendliness. Leave the customer in NO doubt that although friendly, you're no pushover. Customer doesn't like something? "I'll show the kitchen/manager etc", basso profundo, walk away at a considered pace. Be equally businesslike with the Chef/Boss, matter-of-factly explain the customer's beef, and maintain attentive (but not pleading) eye contact while waiting for him to resolve. Neither customer nor management will want to shoot such a helpful, but serious messenger.
    >>"and in other news, the Judge in the case of AVFM Vs Feminazism ruled today that the creators of 'Gender Equality' are guilty of Intent to Obtain Social Change by Deception. The Feminazi case collapsed just one day into the trial, after a 1st year medical student demonstrated that men are not, in fact, equal to women".<<


    Newbie AVFM Member, 2 days in: "My eyes, why do my eyes hurt?"

    Jaybee, cautious tone: "You've never used them before".

  7. #7
    Account not Activated
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,594
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    Structurally however, you may be in a geographic location that has a surplus of labour, which I find very common in the States, due to geographic immobility of labour.
    Ironically, my local area does not have this problem, at all; with 2 auto plants and their subcontractors locally, our unemployment is significantly lower than the national average. That's a recent change, though, so most employers are still operating under the previous scheme where the opposite was true, and you could get away with paying people next to nothing, because they had no alternative.

    Wal-mart is ALWAYS hiring around here, these days; $10/hour.

    That should effectively be considered the new minimum wage.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    In your case you have overcome occupational immobility and unlike some of your unemployed peers you are doing a filler job which keeps your assets from dwindling too rapidly. As the economy moves further out from the Great Recession, things WILL improve cyclically, enabling you to find a more befitting post, but when that will be is anyone's guess.
    Yea; freezing federal hiring was not a good omen ;(


    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    I would advise meanwhile the path of least stressfulness. I've never served at tables, but about 10 years back I consulted to a pub chain, whose practice was that annually, ALL Head Office staff spend a week behind the pumps, no exceptions, from the cleaning lady to the MD himself (and he did it, too!!). I thought it was hilarious they were paying my timesheet , @ full hours @ full rate, just for pulling pints, but I can tell you, I never learned so much about the subtle art of expectation management, which is just as effective at your temporary level as it will be in your near future Scientific role, as it would be for Trump himself. We teach each other how to treat us, and that's where I learned how.
    Oh, I'm currently in a huge fight with management over not being able to cut off regular non-tipping customers; I'm about to start making up abuse from them so I can get them outright banned. This is the problem when management-labor relations are a strictly one-way street, which for some reason almost every American employer insists upon, but also wants to pay me $4.50/hour plus tips, when half our customers don't tip.

    Hint: "Expectation management" is learning that when your pizza is late, cold, and wrong, maybe you should tip better


    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    It was there I learned how to intuit the fine line, in terms of body language and demeanour, between the wallflower staff who mumbled, "Hi-there-what-can-i(small 'I')get-you" while struggling fearfully to maintain eye contact, were either pitied or walked all over, and the authoritive yet jovial types, the kinds of guys who could look a group of semi-toasted execs in the eye, smile a wolf's smile (trust me, it's worth practicing), and exclaim at above-average-decibels, "You look like a happy bunch, what are you fellas havin'?"

    See? Strength, but friendliness. Leave the customer in NO doubt that although friendly, you're no pushover. Customer doesn't like something? "I'll show the kitchen/manager etc", basso profundo, walk away at a considered pace. Be equally businesslike with the Chef/Boss, matter-of-factly explain the customer's beef, and maintain attentive (but not pleading) eye contact while waiting for him to resolve. Neither customer nor management will want to shoot such a helpful, but serious messenger.
    I'm glad that's how it is in Aussie-land; in the U.S., management doesn't give a crap about what employees say, no matter how it is delivered, and customers will make up complaints just to get free food. "If you don't like it, quit," is the catch-phrase, from both managers and customers; on the other hand, they can't fire anyone because we are already short-staffed. As a result, everyone in the store has a bad attitude, from the manager because she never gets her bonus, to the wait staff and drivers who aren't making any money, to the customers who keep getting screwed up food, to the cooks who have to listen to it all day.

    You can't be a pushover, here; the customers will rip you off and you will wind up losing money instead of making it. Seriously, I had a lady try to pay with a bag of change, get pissed off when I insisted on counting it, and then indignant when it came up WAY short (it would have cost me half the days wages). They will lie about what they ordered so they can claim that it is wrong to get free food; they make crazy demands and then make up complaints when you refuse (i.e. "I want a bag full of dipping sauce for free or I will say that you were rude" when the sauces are $.50 each, i.e. why the manager never gets a bonus); dine-in customers will trash the table and let their children run wild, then not tip; delivery customers will ask for exact change (we don't carry coins), and try to insist that we round up (i.e. lose money out of our own pocket) and make up complaints about something else when we refuse...

    And I am hopefully about to quit because I found a job delivering and assembling home exercise equipment; wish me luck!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by StrongSilentType View Post
    Ironically, my local area does not have this problem, at all; with 2 auto plants and their subcontractors locally, our unemployment is significantly lower than the national average. That's a recent change, though, so most employers are still operating under the previous scheme where the opposite was true, and you could get away with paying people next to nothing, because they had no alternative.

    Wal-mart is ALWAYS hiring around here, these days; $10/hour.
    Perhaps, but my God I'd die of embarrassment if someone (I knew) saw me working the tills or refilling the freezer section in a supermarket. That said a few burnt out execs over here work in supermarkets.


    Oh, I'm currently in a huge fight with management over not being able to cut off regular non-tipping customers; I'm about to start making up abuse from them so I can get them outright banned. This is the problem when management-labor relations are a strictly one-way street, which for some reason almost every American employer insists upon, but also wants to pay me $4.50/hour plus tips, when half our customers don't tip.
    Both as a Brit, in whose doesn't culture tips are not expected to be given or received, and as an ethical man, I TRULY hope you are joking about the 'making up abuse' part!!

    Hint: "Expectation management" is learning that when your pizza is late, cold, and wrong, maybe you should tip better
    Again, I can appreciate you feel hacked off with the job market but remember - you have no RIGHT to a tip. I do tip my supermarket delivery driver and fast-food delivery (unless the guy is a surly little twat) a quid in general and a bit extra again if it's a big delivery and/or it's also bitterly cold. I may or may not tip at restaurants, just how I feel at the time about the service. Stateside if I go out to dine I'll generally get the bill and the other party will tip. A couple of times I've been to a restaurant alone (Stateside), and told the wait staff well in advance, "I'm a Brit, we don't tip in general so don't be offended if I don't, just depends on my mood at the time". That sets expectations, and I don't mind if the staff see me as less valuable, but I've not noticed any degradation in service (Speed/warmth of food/welcome).

    I'm glad that's how it is in Aussie-land; in the U.S., management doesn't give a crap about what employees say, no matter how it is delivered, and customers will make up complaints just to get free food. "If you don't like it, quit," is the catch-phrase, from both managers and customers; on the other hand, they can't fire anyone because we are already short-staffed. As a result, everyone in the store has a bad attitude, from the manager because she never gets her bonus, to the wait staff and drivers who aren't making any money, to the customers who keep getting screwed up food, to the cooks who have to listen to it all day.
    You of ALL employees there should know the downsides and landmines of working for female management.

    Also, there's a reason they're always looking for staff, and never make their bonus - the two are both symptoms of a deeper, underlying problem. It's a craphole. A poorly financed operation. They can only afford inferior management and working staff who view the place as either a last resort, or (as with you) a stepping stone.

    You can't be a pushover, here; the customers will rip you off and you will wind up losing money instead of making it. Seriously, I had a lady try to pay with a bag of change, get pissed off when I insisted on counting it, and then indignant when it came up WAY short (it would have cost me half the days wages). They will lie about what they ordered so they can claim that it is wrong to get free food; they make crazy demands and then make up complaints when you refuse (i.e. "I want a bag full of dipping sauce for free or I will say that you were rude" when the sauces are $.50 each, i.e. why the manager never gets a bonus); dine-in customers will trash the table and let their children run wild, then not tip; delivery customers will ask for exact change (we don't carry coins), and try to insist that we round up (i.e. lose money out of our own pocket) and make up complaints about something else when we refuse...
    Yep. Inferior producers/retailers attract (generally) inferior clientele.

    And I am hopefully about to quit because I found a job delivering and assembling home exercise equipment; wish me luck!
    Good luck!!! Offer them free proxy advice, tell them to sign up here and I'll happily advise them in my Training thread. Hopefully they'll look around and learn that building muscles is a edge (albeit a good one) in getting pussy, not the basic foundation of it!!

    LOL
    >>"and in other news, the Judge in the case of AVFM Vs Feminazism ruled today that the creators of 'Gender Equality' are guilty of Intent to Obtain Social Change by Deception. The Feminazi case collapsed just one day into the trial, after a 1st year medical student demonstrated that men are not, in fact, equal to women".<<


    Newbie AVFM Member, 2 days in: "My eyes, why do my eyes hurt?"

    Jaybee, cautious tone: "You've never used them before".

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    Perhaps, but my God I'd die of embarrassment if someone (I knew) saw me working the tills or refilling the freezer section in a supermarket. That said a few burnt out execs over here work in supermarkets.

    SST, god knows you and i dont see eye to eye on most things.

    but the above is stupid

    shame is stupid. pride is stupid.

    do what you need to bud. i respect you for it.. we spoke in PMs a couple times and when we did..i found a huge pile of respect for you in those messages about your private life.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNarrator View Post
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

  10. #10
    Account not Activated
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,594
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNarrator View Post
    SST, god knows you and i dont see eye to eye on most things.

    but the above is stupid

    shame is stupid. pride is stupid.

    do what you need to bud. i respect you for it.. we spoke in PMs a couple times and when we did..i found a huge pile of respect for you in those messages about your private life.
    Thanks, man; yea, I'll stock freezers or dig ditches if that's what has to be done.

    I'm not doing it for peanuts, though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •