Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Democratic Party has lost its mind — and its soul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_e View Post
    It could also be that with the staggering prevalence of Single-Parent households that the parent(s) are so busy working to keep a roof over their kids heads that things like Parent-Teacher conferences fall further down the list of priorities. It's easy for a teacher to complain that parents don't care-- they're not the one having to hold down a second job to make ends meet.

I'm not sure that the articles below are the best references, although the second one is directly from the US Census report. The first one cites "wage inequality" as one of the reasons that women have a higher poverty rate. And thus I presume that the rest of the article is similarly biased when possible.

But nontheless, I think that in any case, being a single parent places extra challenges on being attentive to other areas of a kid's life. I know that my wife and I work out between us who is going to attend the Parent-Teacher conferences. We both do when we can. Other times she will do it herself, or I will do it myself because of job conflicts. I can only imagine that would be worse for a single parent.

Single Mother Statistics
    https://singlemotherguide.com/single-mother-statistics/
    Once largely limited to poor women and minorities, single motherhood is now becoming the new “norm”.

This prevalence is due in part to the growing trend of children born outside marriage — a societal trend that was virtually unheard of decades ago.

About 4 out 10 children were born to unwed mothers.1 Nearly two-thirds are born to mothers under the age of 30.2

Of all single-parent families in the U.S., single mothers make up the majority.

According to U.S. Census Bureau,3 out of about 12 million single parent families in 2015, more than 80% were headed by single mothers.

Today 1 in 4 children under the age of 18 — a total of about 17.4 million — are being raised without a father4 and nearly half (45%) live below the poverty line.5

For those living with father only, about 21% live in poverty. In contrast, among children living with both parents, only 13% are counted as poor.

Census Brief: Children With Single Parents-- How They Fare:
    https://www.census.gov/prod/3/97pubs/cb-9701.pdf
    This is all very true, but that still...isn't the government's fault. We could say that the government has paved the way for feminism to become the cultural narrative, in addition to the media. And feminism has paved the way for broken families, lots of divorce, etc... And we would be right to say that.

But, much of life is about choices, the government isn't our babysitter, mentor, surrogate parent, white knight, etc. Everyone makes mistakes, that's how we learn, but if you keep bringing kids into your mistakes...that's not the government's fault. The cultural narrative is that everyone is a victim...of something. And I'm just saying that type of thinking doesn't help anyone.

ETA - I know a guy who is a friend of one of my cousins, who has been married and divorced three times, and he is 35 years old. We were at a party last year, and this guy was going on and on about how all of his exes are ''crazy,'' and then my cousin said...''but you knew that when you were dating them, and still married them.'' To which, he blankly stared. lol At the end of the day, a person can blame everyone around him/her as to why life sucks for them, but if they'd just spend a little time looking at how they've contributed to their own poor quality of life, they might stop the cycle.

True victims are people who are living in the middle east, and are being hunted down by ISIS. Those people are true victims, not feminists in the US, who make bad decisions and blame men or whoever for why their lives suck.
    Last edited by Deidre; 02-17-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deidre View Post
    This is all very true, but that still...isn't the government's fault. We could say that the government has paved the way for feminism to become the cultural narrative, in addition to the media. And feminism has paved the way for broken families, lots of divorce, etc... And we would be right to say that.

But, much of life is about choices, the government isn't our babysitter, mentor, surrogate parent, white knight, etc. Everyone makes mistakes, that's how we learn, but if you keep bringing kids into your mistakes...that's not the government's fault. The cultural narrative is that everyone is a victim...of something. And I'm just saying that type of thinking doesn't help anyone.

ETA - I know a guy who is a friend of one of my cousins, who has been married and divorced three times, and he is 35 years old. We were at a party last year, and this guy was going on and on about how all of his exes are ''crazy,'' and then my cousin said...''but you knew that when you were dating them, and still married them.'' To which, he blankly stared. lol At the end of the day, a person can blame everyone around him/her as to why life sucks for them, but if they'd just spend a little time looking at how they've contributed to their own poor quality of life, they might stop the cycle.

True victims are people who are living in the middle east, and are being hunted down by ISIS. Those people are true victims, not feminists in the US, who make bad decisions and blame men or whoever for why their lives suck.

But your comment was about parents finding time to attend teacher-parent conferences...
    FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
    It's time to call it out for what it is.

Blog Entries
    But your comment was about parents finding time to attend teacher-parent conferences...
    My comment was in reply to SST who was talking about how the government isn't doing enough to help kids receive good educations. And I shared that story to say that much of why kids are doing poorly at young ages in school, *might* be because they have parents who are not doing their part to guide them. Whatever the excuses are, I get it...but, the kids are the ones suffering. And the government can't change what's happening at home, is more of my point. Feminists look to the government too, to blame shift all of their shortcomings and bad choices onto men.
    Last edited by Deidre; 02-17-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    My comment was in reply to SST who was talking about how the government isn't doing enough to help kids receive good educations. And I shared that story to say that much of why kids are doing poorly at young ages in school, *might* be because they have parents who are not doing their part to guide them. Whatever the excuses are, I get it...but, the kids are the ones suffering. And the government can't change what's happening at home, is more of my point. Feminists look to the government too, to blame shift all of their shortcomings and bad choices onto men.

I think they are more involved than just simply looking to the government. Feminists have stepped in to lobby for sexist, gendered government policies and laws many times over the decades-- and pretty much all of them to advantage women, and disadvantage men.

Blog Entries
    I think they are more involved than just simply looking to the government. Feminists have stepped in to lobby for sexist, gendered government policies and laws many times over the decades-- and pretty much all of them to advantage women, and disadvantage men.
    True, they're looking to be involved within the government. And despite all of the assistance given to women, most feminists still claim to be victims of patriarchy.

Blog Entries
    True, they're looking to be involved within the government. And despite all of the assistance given to women, most feminists still claim to be victims of patriarchy.
    Yes, despite the fact that there isn't one.

That might account for why some can't make the parent/teacher conference, but a lot of kids are struggling with coming from divorced homes, and not seeing their parents enough, it's a lot of stress on kids to also have to keep up with their schoolwork.
    OK; do you have a suggestion on how to fix that?

The parents' job to guide their kids, to help their kids. The government isn't a surrogate parent.
    So, if the parents aren't doing their job, what happens to their kids?

Yet, the type of person who relies on the government for their quality of life, probably says that more so than the person who doesn't.
    You get that those are two different people, right?

Not sure why you're making such a huge leap.
    IF THE PARENTS AREN'T DOING THEIR JOB, WHAT HAPPENS TO THEIR KIDS?!

lol Are you saying that legalizing abortion would solve their problems?
    I'm saying that the attitudes go hand-in-hand; they want to interfere in people's lives for the sake of arbitrary moral qualms despite the lack of apparent harm, but refuse to get involved in cases where the harm is not merely obvious, it is morally outrageous!

That isn't concern for life, innocent or not. Not when they're shooting 7-year-old girls in the streets every day!

I don't understand your thinking, you tend to look at the government as a white knight. Well, feminists do too...and look where that leaves most men. So be careful what you wish for, SST.
    Careful, D, or I'm going to toss you in the pile with Maxx; don't go visiting my intentions!

I do NOT view government as a "white knight," I view it as a safety net; a last-ditch effort to help people that terrible things have happened to, whether its somehow their fault or not, although how you could possibly put that on children is beyond me.

Again, what do you do when some people simply fail to be good parents? You seem to be suggesting that we do nothing.
    "Oh that my Pow'r to Saving were confin’d:
    Why am I forc’d, like Heav’n, against my mind,
    To make Examples of another Kind?
    Must I at length the Sword of Justice draw?
    Oh curst Effects of necessary Law!
    How ill my Fear they by my Mercy scan,
    Beware the Fury of a Patient Man. "

-John Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel

Quote Originally Posted by StrongSilentType View Post
    Careful, D, or I'm going to toss you in the pile with Maxx; don't go visiting my intentions!
    please brer Fox dont, please dont throw me in the briar patch
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.” -Unknown

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
    "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

The worst thing about censorship is ██████ ███████

My daughter is nearly 50 years old now. When she was in secondary school, she brought home a paper one day. She had written that almost everything she learned seemed to be learned at home.

Her stupid teacher wrote in red pencil, "Oh, we should try to learn wherever we are."

As if the failure to learn at school was her fault, and the ability to learn at home had nothing to do with me.