Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Message of Media Misandry

Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    what Maxx said: they still range us men above themselves.
    Ya I know ... but you just cant ignore the bollocks on that silverback
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
    "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

"What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    the problem with men's filmic erasure ...
    is that what once was a conscious de-construction is now seemingly becoming something of an un-conscious construction.
    for both the auteur and the consumer.
    In my opinion we are all a little bit dumber for it.
    I'd argue that this is a bad thing but Im too lazy and lack the specific language to do it.

the GF is at university doing some photography.
    She could walk with a Literature Degree, but got side-tracked on the way to finishing Teaching Degree by way of a formal honors in her minor
    anyway, she is disturbingly good at this photography thing but not in a formal sense such in taking a picture of my boat.
    more of an abstract sense.

all week we have been talking about 'representation' and not talking (excuse the pun) about simulcrum

so, she is about finding a way to put something she cant say into print in a way allows the viewer to un-know what they thought they knew.
    Fascinating (ehem) ...and her Artism is probably why I drink.
    anyway she's done it before so she'll probably pull something outta her arse.

absence-presence is some post-modern gibber that I landed on.
    I actually like it in the way of its construction. very seductive language but, the author forgot (or un-remembered) that they were indeed doing some constructing themselves.
    My terse response would something like 'she should have stopped talking after mentioning Plato'

anyway its here for those that may care to look because it is kinda on topic. ...and for Manalyst's fascination

'Robert Ryman’s Pragmatism' is an MIT article by Susanne Hudson talking about Robert Ryman's paintings (basically white paintings)

cant get the full text unless you cough up the shekels. (though I may know somebody that can email you a copy if you want it)

---------
    Ryman’s increasing experimentation with white paint and various support structures has constituted a practice marked by a careful, even methodical, working
    over of the conventions of painting in their most radically reduced, and paradoxically expanded, possibilities. Through such a reduction, Ryman’s paintings exhibit
    a way of making apart from representing, and he produces paintings as objects as much as images, or, more exactly, as images without illusions. They open onto and
    often explicitly annex the light, space, and walls of the galleries in which they are sited as part of their compositions.
    -----

Ryman’s paintings do not use paint for depiction. Nor do they use color mimetically, symbolically, metaphorically, or evenemotively. Moreover, despite his
    near exclusive use of white paints, Ryman insists that his paintings are not monochromes, and that the white is privileged just because
    it doesn’t interfere. Ryman upholds that his paintings are not abstract; instead, in his lexicon, they are “realist.”9 They are not
    ideational as concepts cleaved from their material grounds, much less securely optical. They are not readymade, either. Facture
    and the quality of paint qua paint loom large and constitute the often almost ineffably subtle differences between and within his serial works
    (the Standards [1967] and Surface Veils [1970–72] being exemplary in this regard), to the extent that the critic Kenneth Baker once wrote that watching Ryman’s
    work “differentiate themselves from mere white is like watching entropy reversed.”10 In so making interaction and the experience it generates the hallmark
    of his realism as well as its chief effect, Ryman underscores the context, both physical and institutional, in which his paintings are made visible, if not critically legible.
    ----

Even as Ryman’s emphasis on experience solicits reciprocal engagement, it sloughs off attempts at critical circumscription. An impatient, cursory glance yields
    little, while presumptuous critical ascriptions all too often mislead. Accordingly, many writers have noted the effort entailed in writing about Ryman’s
    work, recuperating such difficulties into the structure of their texts.

--------

OMG ... 5pm and there's no beer in the fridge
    Jeebz, I thought Tom Wolfe buried that cadaver with his "The Painted Word" ... guess he didn't.

Poor art critics, caught in the Institutional definition of art: 'Art is anything presented in a gallery'.
    "Quick! Over to Tate Gallery, there's a guy who paints white on white! I want 5000 words by three o'clock! And photos! In colour!"
    And then they have to make up shit to try not to be the fools they look.
    New Emperor's Clothes, exclusively by messr. Sokal & Poe.

M

And then they have to make up shit to try not to be the fools they look.
    New Emperor's Clothes, exclusively by messr. Sokal & Poe.
    lolz, definitely my first thought too.

The thing that Ryman always refused to do was comment on his work...and that left the prognosticators without signs.

For a white painting...its a very dark statement

very subversive.

I guess it seemed to rhyme with yr thread when the GF dropped it on me this afternoon.

Theyr'e whiting us out ... makes me chuckle, they'll give themselves nothing to deconstruct

...and then there's balls
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
    "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

"What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam

Blog Entries
    That would focus mainly on the directors. I couldn't tell, but I would think that the producer had some say over the whole thing, plus the CEO and board of the studio company.
    Idk the likelihood of all of them having the same political backround and orientation ...?
    It's not that everyone all the way up the food chain has the same political background and orientation. It's more that the gate keepers at every level do.

Who are the gatekeepers?

Well the gate keepers are low and mid level interns and execs and admin personnel. Who's job is to serve as a filter for creative content. The pay is shit. The hours long and sadistic. And the prospects are vague and unclear. In short it's really a semi-legal 'job' that only wealthy white liberals living off their parent's extensive funds who grew up in LA or NY can realistically ever afford to do.

And of course being (probably) white, definitely liberal (and I don't mean liberal like you Manalysis I mean liberal arts college educated SJW), definitely affluent etc ensures that you are going to have certain sensibilities.

Moreover over you are likely to occupy an echo chamber of people who largely see the world the EXACT same way you do.

Any proposals for creative projects have to get the seal of approval from this millennial slave army before moving up the food chain and on towards eventual contention and production. That isn't gonna happen with anything that's not in line with a certain world view.

And up until recently that's not been much of a problem because generic neo-liberalism has remained vaguely populist enough to ensure works informed by that outlook play well with mainstream audiences. But after Trump the rise of the young new right and various other developments over the last 20-30 months the game is changing fast.

May I ask how you select your examples? Number of audience/sales? Audience reaction/popularity?
    I agree, though, that once in a while movies come along that put a stamp on a whole decade. It's like there were more examples before, but that may be me ...
    Star Wars, Conan, Rocky, Rambo .... that became a word back in the eighties ... Apocalypse Now ... Pirates of the Caribbean, for that matter ...
    With my examples I'm largely looking at 'sleeper' hits. Stuff doesn't have a major marketing push. Isn't groomed as a major launch project but just somehow finds a significant section of audience.

Generally speaking too often market analysts often claim such hits 'came out of no where'. But that's BS and usually evidence that analyst in question has his/her judgement clouded by their own ideological biases.

It doesn't EVER 'come out of no where'. When it seemingly does...

....That's usually evidence that there's an untapped market there desperate to be served.

50 shades of grey is an example of this.

But then there are fairly misandric massive audience hits like Titanic and Frozen - where do they fit the picture?
    Well. Titanic isn't new skool misandric it's old skool misandric. It's traditionalist in it's gender dynamics nostalgic in it's tone and worldview. If it's gynocentric at all it's the other kinda gynocentric. It's the lay your new jacket on the mud so the ladies' pretty little feet don't have to tread on the dirt gynocentric. Rather than the 'I'm an empower modern woman now suck my dick and watch me kick your ass' kinda gynocentric.
    Last edited by Maxx; 03-20-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    "Being a cunt doesn't make you wrong." ComradePrescott

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    yeah, I dont get how its only a problem when represented by the un-ordained.

if yr allowed to well, thats ok, but if yr not, there's hell to pay
    Well I think there's a lot infighting among feminists about who gets to ordained and who doesn't.

There's a certainly a faction of feminists that are kinda feminist-lite who wanna go ahead and ordain anything popular with a woman in it as somehow feminist. These are the crowd that was arguing back in the 1990s that Basic Instinct was some sort of feminist masterpiece. At the end of the day they just wanna latch the label of feminist to whatever is popular in the hope that feminism itself gets some sort of rub as a result.

Then there's a hardcore camp who are simply determined to find a way to claim that all media is always somehow someway anti-woman and sexist.

Most normal women don't fall into their camp. So when ordinary women like something because it resonates with them those in the feminist-lite camp scramble to ordain it while those in the hardcore camp continue to call them traitors to the sisterhood for their efforts to so.
    "Being a cunt doesn't make you wrong." ComradePrescott