Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "Narrative" - Please stop using that word!

Quote Originally Posted by CamilleLion View Post
    This is a good point and something I keep needing to remind myself of while here.

I tend to get lost in and prefer discussions and can approach things very academically with zero intent towards activism (though I'm also not exactly inactive), just trying to reach a personal understanding. However, the MRM obviously does not treat this as an academic thing and there is a big component of activism involved.
    Dunno Camille, I think there is much that lies beneath the surface.
    Like a river looks serene.
    Still waters run deep, said my grandmother

I reckon not everything needs a surgically sharpened point to be effectively medical

One problem that perpetually arises is the hijack of intellectual discourse and peer review.
    Somebody can print ...and they wont receive their Masters.
    particularly if their are bollocks between their legs and it isnt what wants (apparently) to be said

Sometimes what is not being said, speaks volumes.
    And if you listen here, you can hear it rumble.

...like that inveterate Manalyst just talking about affectablity while I think he meant Effectability, it reads better as Affectability and provides a more playful place to leap from.

Lastly, I dont think any people here believe that stream of posts on a hated forum is really going to change anything in the academic world, I do think that there is much that gets taken away from this place and is integrated in other places that do have an Effect.

anyway, dont listen to me...apparently everybody just reckons I talk in riddles
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
    "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

"What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    ...like that inveterate Manalyst just talking about affectablity while I think he meant Effectability, it reads better as Affectability and provides a more playful place to leap from.
    Sorry to abuse English. An effect and an affect seem to be very alike, but from what little I know of latin, 'effect' is from ex + facere, out-of + to do, doing,
    such that when bat A does its thing ("hit") to something like fender B, then out of this doing something ("dent") will happen, and this thing which happens, is that which happened out of the doing, ex-facere, the effect, the influence of A.

"Affect" is from ad + facere, to, towards, against + to do, doing, but more explicitly from the perspective of B such that when A does its thing to something B, then out of this doing, B will be ... well, impacted with the effect of the hitting action.
    AFAIK one can speak of things affecting something, like a disease affecting a person, without knowing the cause.
    A patient may feel unwell, nauseous or dizzy, scil. being affected with illness, nausea or dizzyness without the cause benig known.
    So we use "effect" and "affect" for different functions.

That's the distinction as I've learned it, but if that is not proper English usage, by all means let me know. Live and learn.

Anyway, if all this is rubbish, the point was to highlight the agens/patiens distinction, the doer versus the one being done to. Both these require appropriate qualities.

anyway, dont listen to me...apparently everybody just reckons I talk in riddles
    What do you mean ...?

M
    Last edited by Manalysis; 04-14-2017 at 01:43 AM.