Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New kid on the block!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    He invented cross-cut editing, the thingy that creates tension in movies.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Eisenstein
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_montage_theory
    Not to promote the Soviets, but as a gag, if people are shocked by Japanese influencing Hollywood, this should give them serious hiccups
    Actually, his "Battleship Potemkin" is ok on a rainy afternoon with nothing better to do.

Would you say: because the subject matter is outdated ...? Or not?

If not the best movie ever made, at least up there at the very top.

M
    If Albert Einstein's hair is any reflection of intelligence, then this Sergei Eisenstein is clearly a brilliant man lol Interesting stuff. I never really consider the Russians to be particularly big in the film industry but they DID make that one film that's supposedly just one long take. Hardcore stuff. As for things being 'outdated', certainly not. I had a great firearm collection once and intend to build one up again. Had some real beauties from WWI and WWII. Still can't wait to try black powder! It's on my bucket list to own a Brown Bess replica and a Baker Rifle replica someday. Flintlock firearms, both steeped in British history. Seven Samurai must be the best movie Japan has ever made, and if ever there was a poll done to decide what the best movies ever are, then Seven Samurai would surely be in the Top 10. Great stuff.

Is this what they call a 'moment of clarity'? I just realized that I'm communicating with someone in and/or from Norway... what a trip. 30 years ago communicating in this manner would be impossible due to lack of internet. 80 years ago even telephone communication would likely be impossible because back then the technology was so new and expensive; very few people who owned telephones, who could afford them. Besides that there's pretty much just letters. So much advancement in technology in such a brief period. Hell, I know someone who is 80 years old! Bah, enough ranting. Those sudden moments of realization sure are fascinating though.

Quote Originally Posted by J N Morgan View Post
    If Albert Einstein's hair is any reflection of intelligence, then this Sergei Eisenstein is clearly a brilliant man lol Interesting stuff.
    I never really consider the Russians to be particularly big in the film industry but they DID make that one film that's supposedly just one long take. Hardcore stuff.
    I guess there is a difference between the number of films made in any country and the number of countries showing films from any particular nation.
    USA obviously holds the world record in film exports, but I think Bollywood is also rather large in terms of number of titles + size of audience. They're just not shown in the US.
    The Russians made a lot of movies (including some gruesome WWII ones), there's e.g. Tarkovsky, and then there's Konchalovsky, who did "Runaway Train", and "Tango & Cash", starring Stallone
    Hard to believe, but e.g. Denmark was quite big in the era of silent movies, since these were per def 'international'. Sound movies killed that off.

As for things being 'outdated', certainly not. I had a great firearm collection once and intend to build one up again. Had some real beauties from WWI and WWII. Still can't wait to try black powder! It's on my bucket list to own a Brown Bess replica and a Baker Rifle replica someday. Flintlock firearms, both steeped in British history. Seven Samurai must be the best movie Japan has ever made, and if ever there was a poll done to decide what the best movies ever are, then Seven Samurai would surely be in the Top 10. Great stuff.
    But is that the same thing? Westerns as a genre are not 'historical', they are very often moral tales.
    I would assume that a lot of the morality from, say, the forties, fifties and sixties is pretty much dead, and the setting is perhaps exhausted.

Is this what they call a 'moment of clarity'? I just realized that I'm communicating with someone in and/or from Norway...
    Å jada.

what a trip.
    Yeah, well, a thousand years ago we across the pond, but in the long run, it wasn't worth the while, was the official position ...

30 years ago communicating in this manner would be impossible due to lack of internet.
    Not really. Not if we both had access to TTY. Or we could have been radio hams
    Depends on how narrow you want to define "in this manner", of course.

80 years ago even telephone communication would likely be impossible because back then the technology was so new and expensive; very few people who owned telephones, who could afford them.
    Too expensive to bitch about feminists, anyway ... but I fear the conversation would have been eerily similar ...

Besides that there's pretty much just letters.
    And telegrams.

So much advancement in technology in such a brief period.
    Fascinating indeed. I remember the once oldest person in the US was a coloured gentleman who was born around 1860, IIRC, and lived to be .... 113? 117? Anyway, old enough to still catch the Moon landing.
    Can you imagine ... railroads, rifles, electricity, electric light, radio, telegraphy, automobiles, airplanes, telephone, jet airplanes, nuclear power, rockets, refrigerators, electronics, television, computers, manned space flight ....?

Hell, I know someone who is 80 years old!
    Is that surprising?

Those sudden moments of realization sure are fascinating though.
    A satori here, a satori there ...

M

Blog Entries
    Wow, someone alive during the US Civil War got to witness the Moon landing. What a fascinating life that must have been. He was in his 60s during the 'roaring 20s', yet when he was born if he was in The South he probably would have been a slave. In his childhood it was all about muzzle-loaded blackpowder muskets, yet towards the end of his life the world was moving on to battle rifles and assault rifles. Typically 20-30 rounds before having to reload, reloading took perhaps 3-5 seconds if you're quick rather than 15-20 seconds if you're quick, accurate to 400m+, and so on and so forth. As for knowing an 80 year old, well, I'm still only in my 20s but sadly all four of my grandparents have passed on. In such a situation, I don't find much opportunity to get to know elderly people, but I got to when I spent some time with my old man recently. It was fascinating to hear his stories, and fascinating to know that he was alive during the entirety of WWII though obviously didn't take part in it. He was merely a child even when it ended, and was even too young to take part in the Korean War if he had ever decided to serve.

Actually wait a second... Norway. Aren't your Special Forces using Canadian-made C8 assault rifles? I think so. The British SAS are using them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by J N Morgan View Post
    I'm still only in my 20s
    You're in your 20s and you're a published author....that's very impressive and exciting. The MHRM/anti-feminist movements need more people like you.

Welcome to the AVFM forum J N!
    Last edited by Equity; Today at 03:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Equity View Post
    You're in your 20s and you're a published author....that's very impressive and exciting. The MHRM/anti-feminist movements need more people like you.

Welcome to the AVFM forum J N!
    Thanks! Though I should probably make clear the difference between 'published author' and 'self-published author' lol A published author is TYPICALLY someone who writes a book, sends it to DOZENS of publishers, gets denied DOZENS of times, but then one of the publishers takes the book, provides an advance of a few thousand dollars, and spends the next couple years selling as many copies as possible. That's how it always went, and even Hemmingway apparently got so many denial letters that he wall-papered his writing room with them. Now I've seen a couple of my 6 books to a publishing company, a small one, but I don't really care much for traditional publishing. In the last 10-15 years or so, self-publishing has exploded in popularity, and is now a very real and legitimate way for a new writer to get a start in the field. Once, I hear, it was an absolute joke, people laughed at people who tried to become self-published. It's working out for me though! I write my books, do the editing (tankfuly me grammer iz gud n i spel wel), make it as good a product as I can before sending it through CreateSpace. They make it available on Amazon in paperback, and then I go through Kindle to get the ereader/ebook version available on Amazon. That's basically it, however I've got no publishing company to push and sell the book for me. I've got to do the marketing (commonly referred to as shilling) myself.

I actually just finished my 6th book this morning, around 54,000 words so it's a novel of modest length just like so many parts of my life and/or anatomy are. It's the third in my Living amongst the Dead series. Right now it's just going through review, though it involves no spell-checking or editors or anything like that. Just makes sure all the information is correct and appropriate, I think. Make sure the title isn't something obscene, the ISBN number is correct, the right author name is used, and so on and so forth. If there's any grammatical errors, it's entirely on me. To bring things back to the anti-feminist and MGTOW movement, you can also throw in anti-BLM and anti-SJW. No joke, this book actually includes the line/term "nigger dyke"... yeah. BUT! In my defence and the defence of the character who says it, that individual had been dealing with a whole Hell of a lot of abuse in their direction. A breaking point was met, and so the character said it more-or-less to make a point. All this time receiving racism and sexism and what not, but when it's sent in the other direction, in the direction of the black character, the lesbian... WOAH!

Anyways, I had way too much coffee this morning which probably explains my ranting and the giving away of TMI, the book is going through review right now and should be finished in about 20 hours time. All the info should be in order so there ought to be no reason for it to fail the quite simplistic review. After it passes review it'll be available for paperback ($8.99 US) and Kindle ($2.99 US) in about 1-3 days time but usually doesn't take the full 3 days. I'll also have a promotion going likely on the 26th. So far everything is going well so I shouldn't have to move that date. My first 4 books will be available free for ereaders for a 24 hour period, and my 5th book (Living amongst the Dead: Dark Days) which is of course the sequel of my first book (Living amongst the Dead) will be on Kindle Countdown which I've never used before. It's a discount, it would seem. Going to have it for $0.99 instead of the standard $2.99. My first 4 books are set for $0.99 as the standard price, they're available now at that price but like I said they'll be free soon. Then as mentioned, my 6th book, 3rd in the LatD series (Living amongst the Dead: On the Road Again) should be available by the 26th, or perhaps the 28th at the very latest. I'll likely start on book #7 today or tomorrow, but I don't yet know what I'll tackle. Either the 4th in the LatD series, a sequel for Firearm Valhalla which is a great choice for any fellow gun nuts, or another standalone one-off book. We'll see.

My book "Another One Please, to Dull the Pain" was actually written pretty much with MGTOW in mind. It is one of the 4 that will be free when I do the promotion, so if you were going to bother checking out any of my books, I'd suggest that one. It's a novella, just shy of 29,000 words as I recall so it's a decent little read. Firearm Valhalla is actually a novelette of only 16,500 words. Cute little thing.

Well enough rambling, I hope lots of people download my books when the day comes. Very excited for it, probably going to get more than a little drunk tonight in celebration of my half-a-dozenth book being finished. All in all I've got something like 290,000 words self-published if I combined all 6 books together... which oddly enough probably still doesn't quite match the longest Lord of the Rings book lol That term 'modest length' comes to mind again to taunt me. Bah, funny stuff. Cheers, and thanks for the kind words! If you've got a book idea you've been mulling over for a few years, like I had, quit mulling and start typing. Finally getting around to writing that book has probably been the best thing I've done in years! I can help guide you through the process of self-publishing your stuff if you want!... I really need to cut down on the coffee. That or find a loan shark to break my fingers so as to slow down my typing speed. I think I'll flip a coin.