Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New kid on the block!

Quote Originally Posted by J N Morgan View Post
    Toshiro Mifune was an GODLY actor.
    And a nice guy. My Japanese fencing teacher, Yoshio Sugino, did the fight choreography for several Kurosawa films, including "Shichinin no Samurai" and also "Hidden Fortress", whose Princess-in-disguise = Leia, Samurai = Han Solo, gangly whiny farmer and rotund happy farmer = C3PO and R2D2 (other elements were taken from other stories, so it's not based only on "HF"). Mifune was a member of Sugino's dojo, and came by once a year to keep in touch. The guy who introduced me to Sugino met Mifune a few times and hung out with him after training. Small world. I was given a few old original black and white photos from the shooting of HF, and I believe the Sugino family has lots more.

To my knowledge there are many different types of 'MGTOW', or at least varrying degrees of it. Some just swear off of marriage and kids. Others go a step further and swear off dating of any kind even though they have no intent to marry or have children. Then others still go another big step and swear off women in general; no sex. Now that takes guts, more guts than I've got, especially at my age. Though I dare say even when I get up to my 40s/50s I'll still be a horny bugger. As for me, I'm at that first bit; no marriage or kids. Though I do hope to be a father someday, and I don't really want my kids to be bastards like me (if that ends up censored, I said b-a-s-t-a-r-d-s, meaning the definition of the term; born out of wedlock). So if that's the case then I kind of NEED to be married someday. Well, that's a problem for another time; I've got no intentions of either for the time being and that's what counts. We'll see what the state of affairs are for husbands and fathers in another decade or two. Chances are, if I find that special someone, then that special someone will understand that some paperwork and an appointment with a lawyer will be in order to protect myself legally for whatever might happen down the road. If she can't handle that, no worries, get used to rubber or get out. I have no intention of paying 'child support' to a bitch who takes my kids from me. Let's be honest; that money goes largely to her, so that she can swing from cock to cock while my kids would be exposed to whatever men she brings home. Nope, I think I'm better off going without all that BS, thank you very much.
    My kid's grown up and I live alone, so those considerations are behind me, luckily. Best of luck.

So, think I've got what it takes to join 'a voice for men'? .
    A wish to do so, and an iinternet connection? I'd think so.

I know, and I do hope he will die in the worst of ways, but he's still so damn cool!
    wanting to drink with a man like negan is like playing russian roulette with a 45 and going first.

he's not cool. i hate this mentality, just like when people watched breaking bad and thought walt was cool. he wasnt. he's a loser. of the worst kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNarrator View Post
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    And a nice guy. My Japanese fencing teacher, Yoshio Sugino, did the fight choreography for several Kurosawa films, including "Shichinin no Samurai" and also "Hidden Fortress", whose Princess-in-disguise = Leia, Samurai = Han Solo, gangly whiny farmer and rotund happy farmer = C3PO and R2D2 (other elements were taken from other stories, so it's not based only on "HF"). Mifune was a member of Sugino's dojo, and came by once a year to keep in touch. The guy who introduced me to Sugino met Mifune a few times and hung out with him after training. Small world. I was given a few old original black and white photos from the shooting of HF, and I believe the Sugino family has lots more.

My kid's grown up and I live alone, so those considerations are behind me, luckily. Best of luck.

A wish to do so, and an iinternet connection? I'd think so.
    Wow, very interesting, I didn't know Star Wars was in line with Hidden Fortress quite THAT much! Very cool stuff, it's awesome that you've met people who have actually met Toshiro Mifune. A seriously amazing actor, from movies set during the Japanese Civil War to modern crime mysteries to modern dramas. Well, as 'modern' as things can be in the 1940s-60s. I've yet to see Shichinin no Samurai, well, unless that's Japanese for Seven Samurai. Sanjuro and Yojimbo are wicked, and I like how they so influenced Spaghetti Westerns in the 60s what with "A Fistfull of Dynamite" or whatever it's called. I haven't seen those old Clint Eastwood flicks, but I mentioned once during a match on the game Rising Storm that Yojimbo and Sanjuro influenced some Western films and one of the Americans in the match was taken aback that Japanese cinema can influence American cinema.

I definitely think I'll be sticking around though, this seems like a pretty good forum thus far.

wanting to drink with a man like negan is like playing russian roulette with a 45 and going first.

he's not cool. i hate this mentality, just like when people watched breaking bad and thought walt was cool. he wasnt. he's a loser. of the worst kind.
    I love how he's seemingly ALWAYS up-beat, even when it comes to times where he might beat-up on someone. Seemingly always smiling, cracking jokes, getting REALLY friendly with people who help him, and I think the way he's also up-beat/happy when threatening people or about to kill someone only makes it that much more intimidating. You really can't pinpoint what he'll do next, who he'll take out, or if he'll take someone out at all. He also provides quite a comfortable life for people who become Negen, and in such a post-apocalyptic situation, it's hard for ANYONE to have a comfortable and priveleged life. Though then again, those people are living so well because they have to do terrible things and it's also thanks to basically slave labour. So it's all bad, but he make it look so damn nice. If Negen wasn't so homocidal and evil, if it was the normal world instead of a zombie apocalypse, yeah, I'd DEFINITELY enjoy going drinking with him. He's cool as fuck, but he's also evil as fuck. Still, to each their own; I do hope for him to die, but that doesn't mean I dislike his character, even in spite of the terrible, terrible things he's done.

I've yet to see Shichinin no Samurai, well, unless that's Japanese for Seven Samurai.
    It is.

Sanjuro and Yojimbo are wicked, and I like how they so influenced Spaghetti Westerns in the 60s what with "A Fistfull of ...
    ... "Dollars", "For A Few Dollars More" and "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" by S. Leone.
    OTOH Kurosawa is said to have been inspired by Hammett, so what goes around ...

I mentioned once during a match on the game Rising Storm that Yojimbo and Sanjuro influenced some Western films and one of the Americans in the match was taken aback that Japanese cinema can influence American cinema.
    One day you should tell him about Sergej Eisenstein ...

M

Wow, very interesting, I didn't know Star Wars was in line with Hidden Fortress quite THAT much! Very cool stuff, it's awesome that you've met people who have actually met Toshiro Mifune. A seriously amazing actor, from movies set during the Japanese Civil War to modern crime mysteries to modern dramas. Well, as 'modern' as things can be in the 1940s-60s. I've yet to see Shichinin no Samurai, well, unless that's Japanese for Seven Samurai. Sanjuro and Yojimbo are wicked, and I like how they so influenced Spaghetti Westerns in the 60s what with "A Fistfull of Dynamite" or whatever it's called. I haven't seen those old Clint Eastwood flicks, but I mentioned once during a match on the game Rising Storm that Yojimbo and Sanjuro influenced some Western films and one of the Americans in the match was taken aback that Japanese cinema can influence American cinema.

I definitely think I'll be sticking around though, this seems like a pretty good forum thus far.

I love how he's seemingly ALWAYS up-beat, even when it comes to times where he might beat-up on someone. Seemingly always smiling, cracking jokes, getting REALLY friendly with people who help him, and I think the way he's also up-beat/happy when threatening people or about to kill someone only makes it that much more intimidating. You really can't pinpoint what he'll do next, who he'll take out, or if he'll take someone out at all. He also provides quite a comfortable life for people who become Negen, and in such a post-apocalyptic situation, it's hard for ANYONE to have a comfortable and priveleged life. Though then again, those people are living so well because they have to do terrible things and it's also thanks to basically slave labour. So it's all bad, but he make it look so damn nice. If Negen wasn't so homocidal and evil, if it was the normal world instead of a zombie apocalypse, yeah, I'd DEFINITELY enjoy going drinking with him. He's cool as fuck, but he's also evil as fuck. Still, to each their own; I do hope for him to die, but that doesn't mean I dislike his character, even in spite of the terrible, terrible things he's done.
    hes not a real character
    TV is selling you a not-cool persona as cool.
    in real life he would be paranoid and harsh.

just saying.

they demonize what they want and they make what they want cool. but it isnt what you should follow in your own mind as cool.

personal opinion.

TV all around is your enemy.
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

Blog Entries

Oh, also, I think the firearm you're referring to there is the M1911 design. There's been a number of .45 cal firearms in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    One day you should tell him about Sergej Eisenstein ...

M
    Can't say I've ever heard of him. I also should watch those 'man with no name' movies sometime. I'm not really one for Westerns, if I'm going to be perfectly honest, but that's not to say I don't like them. I'm just not hugely into them. Always good to check out classics however. I honestly feel bad for anyone who hasn't sat down and watched Seven Samurai... they're seriously missing out.

Blog Entries
    hes not a real character
    TV is selling you a not-cool persona as cool.
    in real life he would be paranoid and harsh.

just saying.

they demonize what they want and they make what they want cool. but it isnt what you should follow in your own mind as cool.

personal opinion.

TV all around is your enemy.
    TV doesn't decide what's cool. People do. If most people just think that anything they see on TV is cool, then ok, but it's individuals who decide if something is cool, or gross, or ugly, or beautiful, or interesting, or creative, and so on. I think we'll just have to say 'to each their own' and leave it at that, because we seem to have quite different viewpoints and I'm not about to waste my time on an internet argument. I've been a teenager, I've gone through that nonsense, and I've learned that life is far better when such things are avoided. If you'd like something with zombies that's got a bit more of a realistic spin on it though, I'll be putting my book 'Living amongst the Dead' for sale soon, likely on the 26th, so you can get it for free then if you want. Or if you're feeling generous you can pay the monstrous price of 99 whole US pennies. All good if you'd rather not, just thought I'd bring it to your attention since I recall you mentioning that you find Walking Dead to be entirely unrealistic, and to an extent I agree with you on that assessment. It bothers me quite a bit how they like to use full-auto so much in that show. I mean, where are they getting all the ammo if they can afford to waste 3-5 shots on a walker that can be taken down with just one round on semi-auto? Foolishness...

Oh, also, I think the firearm you're referring to there is the M1911 design. There's been a number of .45 cal firearms in the past.
    you missed my point.
    i was refering to army issue 45 caliber.

it has no cylinder.. the bullets are always ready...........

russian roulette......

TV doesn't decide what's cool. People do..
    naive.

beyond compare

Can't say I've ever heard of him.
    He invented cross-cut editing, the thingy that creates tension in movies.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Eisenstein
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_montage_theory
    Not to promote the Soviets, but as a gag, if people are shocked by Japanese influencing Hollywood, this should give them serious hiccups
    Actually, his "Battleship Potemkin" is ok on a rainy afternoon with nothing better to do.

I'm not really one for Westerns, if I'm going to be perfectly honest, but that's not to say I don't like them. I'm just not hugely into them.
    Would you say: because the subject matter is outdated ...? Or not?

Always good to check out classics however. I honestly feel bad for anyone who hasn't sat down and watched Seven Samurai... they're seriously missing out.
    If not the best movie ever made, at least up there at the very top.

M