Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: so how is Wonder Woman?

  1. #1

    so how is Wonder Woman?

    is it a feminist man hating movie?

  2. #2
    I have seeing the trailer only, and some reviews...

    To me it seems like the kind of plain movie they would have made in the 80s with a superhero and a dumb bimbo to look pretty... but the genders are reverse so the dumb bimbo is a guy...

    The action look meh, the photography looks cliche, the costume design looks OK, the script is crap.

    I will pass this movie, I am planing watching a feminist move though, it is call "20th Century Women", from the trailer you can tell that it have better set design, better photography, and way much better script.

    Wonder Woman is now hipe because they are expending like 150 millions on advertisement, but in 6 months nobody is going to remember this movie, go for the one I am telling it will be a better investment of your time and money... that is my advice.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Manalysis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,655
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    I have seeing the trailer only, and some reviews...

    To me it seems like the kind of plain movie they would have made in the 80s with a superhero and a dumb bimbo to look pretty... but the genders are reverse so the dumb bimbo is a guy...

    The action look meh, the photography looks cliche, the costume design looks OK, the script is crap.

    I will pass this movie, I am planing watching a feminist move though, it is call "20th Century Women", from the trailer you can tell that it have better set design, better photography, and way much better script.
    Nah ... it's a glorifying revisit of the seventies, "wave"-feminism's toddlerette years, made by a young guy who's mother was a "strong feminist".
    It's not history, it's not drama, it's not funny .... there's some good acting, is all.

    M

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    Nah ... it's a glorifying revisit of the seventies, "wave"-feminism's toddlerette years, made by a young guy who's mother was a "strong feminist".
    It's not history, it's not drama, it's not funny .... there's some good acting, is all.

    M

    I thought the movie takes place in World War 1?



    And the director is a woman

  5. #5
    Senior Member Manalysis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,655
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by astr592 View Post
    I thought the movie takes place in World War 1?
    Nope. It's about a feminist single mom who tries to raise a son without a male role model, set in the Carter era USA.

    And the director is a woman
    Yes, for a change.

    M

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by astr592 View Post
    I thought the movie takes place in World War 1?



    And the director is a woman
    I think he is talking about "20th Century Women"... lol

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    Nah ... it's a glorifying revisit of the seventies, "wave"-feminism's toddlerette years, made by a young guy who's mother was a "strong feminist".
    It's not history, it's not drama, it's not funny .... there's some good acting, is all.

    M
    Still better than Wonder Woman offer.

  8. #8
    seen it

    an entertaining action flic, wonder woman states men are inherently good

    not much for cleavage

    she is an amazon warrior princess, but wouldn't say its feminist, nevermind the usual in your face feminist......she likes men, melts in a guys arms, swoons at the thought of family, pretty traditional fare!
    A man can gain no more respect than by, laying down his life for a woman. And a woman, no more than by, beating down a man. For a man to ask, what is fair and good and true and just, is to offend.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mifune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Posts
    2,125
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by menrppl2 View Post
    seen it

    an entertaining action flic, wonder woman states men are inherently good

    not much for cleavage

    she is an amazon warrior princess, but wouldn't say its feminist, nevermind the usual in your face feminist......she likes men, melts in a guys arms, swoons at the thought of family, pretty traditional fare!
    If it see it in the theater it'll probably be a couple of weeks.

    Upon watching the trailers what I would tell people was "As long as the gender stuff isn't overdone, it looks like it could be a decent movie".

    From what I've read and heard, the feminists talking about how it's finally the depiction of women they've waited through centuries of oppression to be empowered by, well, it just comes across as though they're completely insane.

    It sounds like Star Wars: Force Awakens was more tainted by feminism than Wonder Woman. I'll try to reserve judgment until I see it.
    "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    549
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by menrppl2 View Post
    seen it

    an entertaining action flic, wonder woman states men are inherently good

    not much for cleavage

    she is an amazon warrior princess, but wouldn't say its feminist, nevermind the usual in your face feminist......she likes men, melts in a guys arms, swoons at the thought of family, pretty traditional fare!
    I have 2 points of contention on this. 1. Yes, she (and the movie) does state that men are inherently good. But also that Ares corrupted man so Zeus made women to save them by teaching them love and compassion (and the Amazons, specifically, to kill Ares). 2. Throughout the whole movie, WW is single mindedly focused on finding and killing Ares. Except for the part where she's in the WWI trenches and she finds out it's called "No man's land" and then insists on taking it on, singlehandedly if need be. However, she starts to get overwhelmed by the machinegun fire and is forced to her knees (more or less) to hide behind her shield. Then the men in the trenches come to her aid and allows her to conquer no man's land and invade the German trenches. So, yes, it does have feminist tones but they're not overdone and, I think, are tolerable (especially considering that WW is a feminist icon). Obviously, WW needs to have an enemy which challenges her or else it'd too boring to bother with. So Ares is the bad guy and the good guy (gal... lol Gal) has to win. She does so through the power of Cpt. Trevor's love for her. So, I guess, ultimately, the power of the boner saves the day?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •