Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wonder Woman movie is another example of male bashing.

The Wonder Woman movie is another example of male bashing.

I see Wonder Woman has provoked some chat here, with several threads. Here's another, as I want to focus on a particular point, that of how violence against men is presented as entertainment in film, tv and comics. It's been that way for a long time, but feminism has given it a new angle, that of women being violent to men, presented, not only as entertaining, bur empowering for girls. It would be silly to say that the result of this will be lots of women attacking men, but the cumulative effect of mass media repeatedly making the same point influences attitudes in society.
    There've now been many male bashing heroines, Xena, Buffy, Agent Carter, and more. The most extreme is Hit-Girl in the KA films, with gruesome violence inflicted on many men by the heroine. All these tv and cinema productions get positive reviews, as fun, exciting, entertaining. So, I decided to write a short story of a crime fighting lady who deploys devastating fighting skills to take a gang of female crooks, to see if people react differently when it's women that violence is being inflicted on. Not because I want women to suffer violence, but to, hopefully, make people think about the gender disparity in how violence is presented in the media. Titled 'They call her Petal', the tale can be read and downloaded (it's free) here,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8z...ew?usp=sharing.

So far reviews have been positive, but there haven't been many. If the subject of violence in the media being anti-male is to be discussed, as I believe it should, I need the story to reach a wide audience. So I've made a Facebook page devoted to Petal, and if this subject interests you, if you could like the page, and share it, that would be of great help. It could provoke a wider debate concerning feminism among those it reaches, maybe even some feminists! Undoubtedly some will see the story I've written as ant-women, it isn't. Patty Jenkins says she wants WW to make people think about how the media portrays the two sexes, so do I. The FB page is here,

https://www.facebook.com/PetalPopsy-...homepage_panel

If you'd like to leave a comment, that'd be great. Even if it's negative, I can take criticism. The story is only 1400 words, it's light reading, and with a few jokes. One reader said it reminded him of the Matt Helm films of the sixties, which I think was meant as a compliment. I've drawn over 80 pictures to illustrate Petal, and an illustrated version will be available as soon as I work out how to put so many images into a pdf.
    FB COVER 01.jpg
    Last edited by The Man On The Street; 08-01-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: fixed typo in heading

In case you needed any more incentive to involve yourself in this debate, get a load of this,

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html

A female critic says she cried, with joy, at seeing the Amazon's killing men.

I did not expect to cry during “Wonder Woman.”
    Specifically, I did not expect to tear up during the fight scenes. OK, maybe if*Gal Gadot’s Diana, Amazon princess, had given some terrific speech, or if a character I liked had died, but I certainly did not expect to get all misty eyed during the battle scenes.
    But that’s exactly what happened; when Wonder Woman started fighting, out came the waterworks.
    It started on the beach, when Gen. Antiope (Robin Wright) rode into battle with a smile and Queen Hippolyta (Connie Nielsen) leaped off her horse, spinning into the air to wipe out two armed men with her sword.
    “Wonder Woman” director Patty Jenkins wasn’t too surprised when I described my tearful reaction. “I’ve heard that a lot,” she said

And sure enough, as “Wonder Woman” blazed through its opening weekend, the Internet was flooded with tales of tears. “Wept through every fight scene in Wonder Woman AMA,” tweeted Shani O. Hilton (head of U.S. news for BuzzFeed News). “I just thought about the No Man's Land sequence & started crying again,” writer and director Julia Hart said online.

If we want to generate a critique in the community of the strident feminist bias in the media we need to engage the community, and Facebook, with its billion users, is an ideal place. Please guys, think this through. If you can just like and share the page I've created, it will create chatter on FB, and no doubt elsewhere. Doesn't matter if you don't agree with my analysis, spreading my alternative heroine story will stir talk, make some question, or at least think about, the feminist narrative. If a few of you like and share the page we could get something going, get the feminist dialogue discussed critically on a wide stage, which I'm sure everyone here wants. So come on guys, give it a go.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link. I'll put it on my reading list.
    FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
    It's time to call it out for what it is.

The World of Men - Men's Rights / MGTOW / Sites of Interest to Men

http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showt...nterest-to-Men

Quote Originally Posted by mr_e View Post
    Thanks for the link. I'll put it on my reading list.
    Thank you.

WW is seen as great stuff by most feminists, here's an example,

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/quor..._17124156.html

In my opinion,*Wonder Woman*is a huge step forward for the feminist movement. The last few years have seen progress for women, most notably Rey’s introduction to the Star Wars universe and the amazing Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monae in*Hidden Figures, as well as Ava Duvernay taking the helm of*A Wrinkle in Time. But*Wonder Woman*is groundbreaking for the feminist movement for other reasons, as well.

Wonder Woman*makes feminism look artful and effortless. It’s the kind of movie that can shift institutional sexism, and I hope we see countless more like it.

Maybe the fact that nobody here has shared my Facebook page is that it's seen as an ego trip by me. Well, I'm not going to relentlessly plug it, but the reason it matters is this. AVM does a great job as a site of information and support, but if you want to change the world, even a bit, you've got to engage those who don't agree with us. That's what feminists did, and from their early efforts in the 60's came the tsunami of today's feminism. My little story isn't going to move mountains, but if it's widely shared on FB it will cause people to think in a way they haven't before. A light hearted action tale, but where the bad guys are bad girls, will be a shock, and provoke some to wonder if the dismay they feel, as some will, at violence against women being seen as entertainment, should apply to the many, many films that present violence against men in that way.
    Guys, it'll only take a few minutes of your time to share the page, let's get thousands to see it on FB, and get a conversation started in the wider community. And 'shift a bit of institutional sexism'.

I saw it. Didn't bother me. Thought it was an entertaining movie and had a good male character with Chris Pune's Steve Trevor. The leftist media of course will act like it's the greatest thing ever of course since it has a female lead

Blog Entries
    I've seen it too. To summarize, they can call it feminist all they want but, in the end, WW only saves the day thanks to Cpt Steve Trevor (taking out the main weapon) and the power of his boner that he gave to WW (which allowed her to take out the main baddie).

In the 32 page book, your spell checker changed 'personal' to 'personnel' nearly every time.

The hero in the movie was not Wonder Women.. it was Cpt Trevor.. who made the ultimate sacrifice to save hundreds of thousands, if not a million or so from a torturous and deadly chemical attack.

Cpt always had his priorities straight, and as a mortal was actually risking something. WW was never going to be killed... she was more likely to be turned than killed.

In terms of feminism.. women in general today are so Nihilistic that they don't recognize how much ass kissing they get already on a daily basis. How much go-girl flattery gets blown up their asses.. how much pandering.. how much raw infantization and 'girrl power' bullshit that gets shoveled into their eager mouths each and every day.

There is apparently no limit.. or limiting.. of appealing to women's vanity that is enough to satiate the desire for more. Vanity, apparently, is a women's bottomless hole.. there is no 'enough'.

So when a god-like Mary Sue character beats up and kills hundreds of men and ultimately leaves it up to another man to self-sacrifice to save hundreds of thousands more... the women in the audience cheer blindly at the astronomically easy task a demi-god has at killing mortal men by the handful.

I suppose the only risk WW had was that her one-time lover had to die so she could 'save the world' from war... only it didn't change a bloody thing... because men are evil, and good, but still mostly evil compared to the pure women Amazonian 'hero'.

And women everywhere drink up this fountain of vanity like a shoe sale at Macy's.