Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who casts first female to play "The Doctor"

Blog Entries

Doctor Who casts first female to play "The Doctor"

Technically, as any Doctor Who fan will affirm, the Time Lord is a two-hearted alien who “regenerates” in all forms.

However, the unveiling of Jodie Whittaker as the first female Doctor has been hailed such a breakthrough that even the Prime Minister has weighed in, while Jacqui Oatley, the first female commentator on Match Of The Day, warned the actress that she will need thick skin.

Reactions, largely positive, flooded in from all quarters on Monday following the BBC announcement, with Theresa May stating she was “pleased” with the new incarnation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ed-thick-skin/
    Reaction is largely positive because men are afraid to speak up.

I've actually read stories of women (and men believe it or not) bursting into tears with joy because "another glass ceiling is shattered". It concerns me that taking things away from men is such a deeply emotional experience for women. The can't create another character or series or something with some amazing female character, they need to convert amazing male characters into women. They quite literally need to take that away from men to be so happy that they burst into uncontrollable tears.

Time will tell, but if they try to keep the same dynamic it's very likely to come off "creepy". I wonder if her companion will be male and chase her around like a puppy. Making the companion male will deprive a woman of the opportunity to be uniquely clever, or kind, or wise, or well-human (the role companions usually provide on the show). We can't have that. Better just have an all-female cast.

I'm going to change the channel the first time I hear "You can't look at my ass, I'm the Doctor and that's sexual harassment." I doubt there's any going back after that.
    "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

Blog Entries
    The Feminist crowd in generally is hailing this fantastic victory.....meanwhile certain subsets are whining because The Doctor still has white skin.
    "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

Quote Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
    Reaction is largely positive because men are afraid to speak up.
    Lots of people are displeased, and say so. But of course these people get bad press.

I've actually read stories of women (and men believe it or not) bursting into tears with joy because "another glass ceiling is shattered".
    Good for them.
    Although I'm usually sceptical wrt. the "ceiling" thing, which most often turns out to be "couldn't be bothered before, but now it's easy/will make me famous".
    If there is a _real_ glass ceiling, i.e. that people are barred from something because of their sex, that's objectively a bad thing.
    OTOH some people think a high bar for something is unfair, which is something else entirely.

It concerns me that taking things away from men is such a deeply emotional experience for women.
    I don't think you should. This goes someways to the "heart of a woman" issue in another thread.
    I'm fairly convinced that many women live slightly conspiratorial lives, like undercover resistance agents in enemy territory.
    Men are stupid, but strong, so there ain't nothing they can do except stick together, subvert where possible, and happily lie about it.
    Yes, of course the kid looks like you.

The can't create another character or series or something with some amazing female character, they need to convert amazing male characters into women.
    Frankly, I couldn't care less about the sex of some fictional character, and from the little I know, I can't see that being a man adds something necessary to the role.

They quite literally need to take that away from men to be so happy that they burst into uncontrollable tears.
    Yes, and that's something else entirely. That's them flexing their muscles. Few joys are greater than exercising one's power .

They must be having fun, since this is a win-win for them.
    One might possibly demand that the bad guys should be bad gals,
    but that would just come off as "There, you see, women are powerful and dangerous, and damn right you should be afraid".

Time will tell, but if they try to keep the same dynamic it's very likely to come off "creepy".
    I wonder if her companion will be male and chase her around like a puppy
    Yes, if they exploit this opportunity to riducule men by giving the doctress a sub-par sidekick, that's a sign o'the times.

I'm going to change the channel the first time I hear "You can't look at my ass, I'm the Doctor and that's sexual harassment."
    I doubt there's any going back after that.
    I'm sure there'll be at least one episode where she'll go "I'm Doctor Who ... Did It!!" to a line-up of men
    who either did or didn't do something in a case of domestic violence, rape, cat-calling or insulting some princess online.

M

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    Frankly, I couldn't care less about the sex of some fictional character, and from the little I know, I can't see that being a man adds something necessary to the role.

Yes, and that's something else entirely. That's them flexing their muscles. Few joys are greater than exercising one's power .
    I'm willing to give it a shot. I don't know if I really "care".

What I care about is that it comes across kind of pandering to me. It's not like they auditioned people of both genders. They had already decided they wanted a female this time. When Peter Capaldi announced that this would be his final season, there was numerous articles about how "It's time for a female doctor". And again, I'm willing to entertain the argument, but it wasn't an argument. It was quite literally "Give us a female doctor now or it's misogyny." it's the pandering to whomever shouts "racist, sexist, homophobe, xenophobe" the loudest.

Arguments don't mean anything anymore, only outrage.

Do the math. Most men aren't going to be mad if you cast a female to play the doctor. Many women are going to be mad if you don't cast a female doctor. If if they're not "angry" they're still going to write dozens of articles about how the show is always "stodgy old white men" (9,10 & 11 notwithstanding on the old part). It makes the prudent financial move to cast a woman, but it also encourages and reinforces what I'll call "outrage culture".

Okay, to be fair I don't know that the only auditioned women, but the following:

Chibnall added, “After months of lists, conversations, auditions, recalls, and a lot of secret-keeping, we’re excited to welcome Jodie Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor. I always knew I wanted the Thirteenth Doctor to be a woman and we’re thrilled to have secured our number one choice. Her audition for The Doctor simply blew us all away. Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The Thirteenth Doctor is on her way.”
    would imply to me that the definitely put extra effort on auditioning women, if not auditioning them exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
    What I care about is that it comes across kind of pandering to me.
    I agree, I think you're right on this.

It's not like they auditioned people of both genders.
    Oh, I'm sure there was a token man in there soomewhere.

They had already decided they wanted a female this time.
    Even surer ...

When Peter Capaldi announced that this would be his final season, there was numerous articles about how "It's time for a female doctor". And again, I'm willing to entertain the argument, but it wasn't an argument. It was quite literally "Give us a female doctor now or it's misogyny." it's the pandering to whomever shouts "racist, sexist, homophobe, xenophobe" the loudest.
    Arguments don't mean anything anymore, only outrage.
    The core of it.

Do the math. Most men aren't going to be mad if you cast a female to play the doctor. Many women are going to be mad if you don't cast a female doctor. If if they're not "angry" they're still going to write dozens of articles about how the show is always "stodgy old white men" (9,10 & 11 notwithstanding on the old part). It makes the prudent financial move to cast a woman
    Yes. Like I said, it's fun to be the bully.

but it also encourages and reinforces what I'll call "outrage culture".
    Yes, and, as per above, it helps that you have the market forces behind you to augment our kiking and screaming.
    "Look, we're plowing today," said the fly on the horse's head."

they definitely put extra effort on auditioning women, if not auditioning them exclusively.
    Auditioning is cheap. Like giving a Somali job applicant the chance for an interview. See, we're so unbiased ...

But
    months of lists, conversations, auditions, recalls, and a lot of secret-keeping
    brings the clandestine aspect out nicely.

This could be women doing anything from politics, via prospective boyfriends or husbands, down to a new sofa or pair of shoes.
    Or lipstick; all fifty shades.

M

Blog Entries
    The Master was brought back as a female called Missy. No problem with that, that wasn't the change that finally made me quit watching Doctor Who, my last episode was the ridiculous plot of the moon being an egg and a little girl has to figure it out so she can become the first world president or some such shit. When a show, that may well have great appeal to younger audience and be one of those rare things the generations can watch together, has to shift it's entire focus to blowing smoke up school girl's asses to be part of convincing them to becoming scientists and world leaders - it can f**k off with the social engineering. That is not interesting and challenging commentary on the world, it's simply telling the world what to be. For me simply the shift of media from being an entity that holds the dictator to account, to simply shunting the dictator out of the way and replacing her.

So what happened with the Master, sorry Mistress. Well the Master always had a complex evil about him, a mixture of reverence and friendship towards the Doctor, an obsession for his attention, and a hatred towards whatever the Doctor cared about. The Master's obsession with the Earth was the dark mirror of the Doctor's. But with a female Master, they couldn't stand it, the obsession was played as some form of lust, they couldn't stand her being evil, she wasn't male, she had to be reformed. I didn't watch the blahh blahh, just read posted accounts, but long story short, she reforms, facing against her darkness and starts to become good. Moving towards becoming the Doctor's ally, the male Master comes back (John Sim's previously excellent portrayal - I won't watch it even though I'd love to see John Sim's Master again, because it's just the final demolition of the Doctor's antithesis [there was a previous attempt to create a dark Doctor who was more evil than the Master, it bombed as a story]).

Anyway, male Master comes back from past and good female Master has to choose between Doctor and Master, she chooses Doctor rejecting her male evil, which she aims to defeat, the male then murders the female. Her final sanctification and apotheosis, her separation from her male past. Ready to return as the Doctor's ally - perhaps even love interest... who knows.

These idiots just want to invade male things, regardless of how much male investment, if it's a positive image of a male, or even an interesting but evil image of male, if it holds any attention grabbing power at all, they covet it. Nothing has satisfied them, Sarah Jane adventures, the homophillic Torchwood, with every pandering to female fantasy going (I knew as massive fan of Torchwood, and it really was just a massive wankfest for her, in every sense, wank over guys, wank over guysxguys, wank over girls, wank over girlsxgirls) the one thing it didn't cater for was coherent plot, it was connected posing set pieces. They then hand over the series lead to Clara the impossibly annoying assistant from the planet AllAboutMe. That led to her being like the Robin in Batman that the fans wanted to kill, except the Whovians didn't get the carthatic pleasure of a poll opportunity to kill her.

Nothing sates these freaks, they want the title role, the SJW pandering with lesbian warrior genius lizard and wondermaid the fingering object wasn't enough diversity and inclusion. All good or interesting characters must be female, all bumbling pointless and rotten characters must be male. And they need to keep a check on male portrayal of evil and madness, because males have a habit of making it interesting with great performances and pulling depth out of darkness.

They've got the title role, but unlike a male Doctor kept in check and course corrected by females, they won't hand over that role to males. My prediction there will be nothing handed to males, no olive branch, concession or even booby prize. They will be told to appreciate and worship the sacred feminine. The focus will lock ever tighter on pandering and promoting females. They will look for new ways to erase masculinity.

The new incarnations since Paul McGann have played up the Doctor's sexuality, a factor in the old series as a very low undercurrent, basically an amount of the out of reach love object for female assistants, so close but not quite reachable, the masochistic pussy tease that many women enjoy. The female Doctor will probably start intellectual and asexual, for a short time, before their desire to pussy tease and cock shame kicks in and they aim to make the female Doctor a sexual icon for female fans. That's pretty much inevitable, female fans are attracted to the alphaness, and female Doctor will be about co option of male alphaness into female alphaness.

If anyone can be bothered to watch this once classic inter-generational favourite, it'll roll out, can't guess the speed or the plots but:

Last edited by voidspawn; 07-18-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    "...especially when it comes to communication, it can be observed, if it is not a negotiation it's a war."
    Quote Originally Posted by menrppl2 View Post
    Can't live with em, life is great without them.

I am not impress... this gender swap thing have being done so many times already I don't even know how they claim they break a glass ceiling with this... at this point it looks to me like a tired cliche...

They want to do something never done before?

Make their own original show.

I was eleven when Dr Who began in 1964 with William Hartnell as the Dr. I watched it through to Sylvester McCoy played him in the final series of the show. That in the new version the Dr is to become female is appalling. Rarely among fictional heroes the Dr had an abhorrence of violence, and a strong moral purpose. The very sort of role model for boys you'd think feminists would approve of.
    It seems every male character in fiction must be replaced by a female, so expect Harriet Potter, Jane Bond, Garfielda the cat, Micheala Mouse and Denise Duck and more to greet us soon. If the BBC wanted a female time lord, why not do a new series? There's even been such a character in Dr Who's past, that of Ramona in the seventies.
    Still, I stopped watching tv after I got broadband, it's got so much more than tv. And that means I no longer have to buy a tv licence, the tax we have to pay in the UK to watch tv, all of this tax funding the BBC. So whatever they are doing with Dr Who, at least I'm not paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plato the 2nd View Post
    It seems every male character in fiction must be replaced by a female, so expect Harriet Potter, Jane Bond, Garfielda the cat, Micheala Mouse and Denise Duck and more to greet us soon.
    Jeebz .... waiting for the Stallone clones .... Rockette .. and Rambi ....

M

Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    I am not impress... this gender swap thing have being done so many times already I don't even know how they claim they break a glass ceiling with this... at this point it looks to me like a tired cliche...

They want to do something never done before?

Make their own original show.
    Ha ...! Not only ten characters, but dix points ...

M