Thread: Everyday sexism

Everyday sexism

I was wondering what everyone’s experience is of everyday sexism.

The media is always publishing pro-feminist, male-bashing propaganda, and one or two stories are unlikely to change general opinion. But when we are bombarded with this shit I think it does alter general perception.

My experiences:

A woman at work asked for my help with Microsoft Word. It was automatically putting paragraphs in when she pressed enter. I showed her how to correct this, a very simple solution, and I guess she realised that so slapped me around the face, just because I helped her!

Women with prams taking up the whole pavement by walking side by side without any regard for others. I was confronted by this one day while walking along a busy street. The only way around was for me to step into the road, but as there was lots of traffic I stopped to wait for a gap. One bumped into me with her pram and complained that I had disturbed her baby! How about watching where you’re going? But I guess I should have allowed myself to be run over so she could continue on her merry way.

Talking about the BBC pay gap where Chris Evans is paid four times more than the highest paid woman. I started by saying that he had the most listened to radio show and that’s as far as I got as I was shouted down for being sexist!

There are other experiences: women pushing in front of me in a queue; women going home from work because they have a headache or because it’s their “time of month;” women aggressively shouting at me for doing nothing but unknowingly being in their way when a simple “excuse me” would have worked.

Just wondering what other’s experiences are?

Blog Entries
    A frustrating set of experiences there unheard.

A woman was urinating in the street but in doorway recess, that was resulting in a yellow stream coming my way on the path. Stepping over it I looked where it was coming from. Before I could even say a word she started shouting that men were disgusting and they urinated everywhere. She then shouted that when driving her car she saw a man urinating and that she had her child in the car. I actually would have been somewhat sympathetic, I know that road, and if you get caught needing the toilet you're a bit stuck. Either way her ranting at me for my being a bit disgusted at her urinating in the street made me decide to confront her. To which she promptly ran off, went to the nearest group of women she could find complaining that I was assaulting her.

Other ones are the standard getting ranted at by feminists, one was because I would not condemn transgender people (m to f) who in her words were stealing the hard won advantages women had gained. Another was rant on facebook, same feminist attacking a friend for sharing a joke she deemed sexist on his timeline, I handled that wrong, I should have just told her to f**k off, but I offered to mediate and set up a chat, where she could explain her concerns about it. That caused a torrent of not being a decent man rants, and refusing to do something about it. I did in fact comment on the joke, saying how it could be seen as sexist, once again trying to appease the flood of complaints. I was organising a local group at the time, and acting as peacemaker was part of it. My friend sensibly invited others to comment on the joke, and a number of his female friends said nope it wasn't sexist. As it turned out, the feminist was also a facebook friend of his too, and could have taken her views directly to him, but she never even commented on the post of the joke, she just harangued me. Anyway I said sorry to my friend for raising it when I should have just ignored her, she unfriended both of us, and left the local group with an expected tirade at how everyone was sexist for not accepting her TERF views and right to complain about nothing. Has to be said though she was from a wealthy area, married to a lawyer, had a masters degree in political science and gender studies... that really should have been enough of a red flag, but at the time I just thought having a masters meant she was smart.

Here's the joke that triggered her:
    Last edited by voidspawn; 07-29-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    "...especially when it comes to communication, it can be observed, if it is not a negotiation it's a war."
    Quote Originally Posted by menrppl2 View Post
    Can't live with em, life is great without them.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspawn View Post
    A frustrating set of experiences there unheard.

A woman was urinating in the street but in doorway recess, that was resulting in a yellow stream coming my way on the path. Stepping over it I looked where it was coming from. Before I could even say a word she started shouting that men were disgusting and they urinated everywhere. She then shouted that when driving her car she saw a man urinating and that she had her child in the car. I actually would have been somewhat sympathetic, I know that road, and if you get caught needing the toilet you're a bit stuck. Either way her ranting at me for my being a bit disgusted at her urinating in the street made me decide to confront her. To which she promptly ran off, went to the nearest group of women she could find complaining that I was assaulting her.

Other ones are the standard getting ranted at by feminists, one was because I would not condemn transgender people (m to f) who in her words were stealing the hard won advantages women had gained. Another was rant on facebook, same feminist attacking a friend for sharing a joke she deemed sexist on his timeline, I handled that wrong, I should have just told her to f**k off, but I offered to mediate and set up a chat, where she could explain her concerns about it. That caused a torrent of not being a decent man rants, and refusing to do something about it. I did in fact comment on the joke, saying how it could be seen as sexist, once again trying to appease the flood of complaints. I was organising a local group at the time, and acting as peacemaker was part of it. My friend sensibly invited others to comment on the joke, and a number of his female friends said nope it wasn't sexist. As it turned out, the feminist was also a facebook friend of his too, and could have taken her views directly to him, but she never even commented on the post of the joke, she just harangued me. Anyway I said sorry to my friend for raising it when I should have just ignored her, she unfriended both of us, and left the local group with an expected tirade at how everyone was sexist for not accepting her TERF views and right to complain about nothing. Has to be said though she was from a wealthy area, married to a lawyer, had a masters degree in political science and gender studies... that really should have been enough of a red flag, but at the time I just thought having a masters meant she was smart.

Here's the joke that triggered her:
    I think the joke's funny because it is true.