Thread: Taking cod liver/fish oil?

Taking cod liver/fish oil?

I just learned that you can buy canned cod livers (packed in their own oil). I have a stack of them in front of me now and the Omega-3 content in a 115 gram tin is 10 fucking grams! Plus you get some protein. The livers I got come from Iceland but Norway produces it too. I haven't tasted it yet, but I'll open a can later tonight; supposedly it tastes like sardines but less texture of course and less fishy. That's a fucking big whallop of healthful Omega-3!!!!!

If you can't find it at a seafood market, your local Russian store is sure to have it, which is where I got mine.
    Last edited by oldblueeyes; 07-30-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    Men stay single and your pockets will jingle!

Quote Originally Posted by oldblueeyes View Post
    I just learned that you can buy canned cod livers (packed in their own oil). I have a stack of them in front of me now and the Omega-3 content in a 115 gram tin is 10 fucking grams! Plus you get some protein. The livers I got come from Iceland but Norway produces it too. I haven't tasted it yet, but I'll open a can later tonight; supposedly it tastes like sardines but less texture of course and less fishy. That's a fucking big whallop of healthful Omega-3!!!!!

If you can't find it at a seafood market, your local Russian store is sure to have it, which is where I got mine.
    Velbekomme ...

M

Hmmm, it's tempting to drain off the oil, but it's too healthy to throw away. It's a big gulp to swallow all at once; it's like taking a chug of corn oil. But the liver, it's very delicately flavored and not fishy at all, and is very spreadable and would be nice on toast! I'll definitely be eating this a couple times per week! I'm not one for canned foods, other than tomato paste, but this stuff is too good!

Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    Velbekomme ...

M
    So how do you guys eat this? Drain the oil or drink it?

Edit: Holy fuck, these cod liver farts are deadly!
    Last edited by oldblueeyes; 07-31-2017 at 01:35 AM.

So how do you guys eat this? Drain the oil or drink it?
    To be honest, few people here eat it canned, that's for for'ners without a coastline.
    Cod is a peculiar fish wrt. fat.
    There's only 0.02 % of fat in the meat, that's why dried cod - stockfish - can be stored for ages, as it doesn't go rancid, like fatty fish.
    Instead, cod store all the fat in their liver. When the big Barents Sea cod come in to spawn, and are caught, they can have livers wheighing 1 - 2 kg.

If you can get it ... dress it by removing any coarse vessels and skins, and dice it into large cubes.
    Heat enough water to cover the liver, season it with salt, a dash of vinegar, black pepper corns, laurel leaves and perhaps a teaspoon of whole yellow mustard seed.
    Pop in the liver and heat through on a low simmer, perhaps 10 minutes. The longer you leave it after that, the more oil is cooked out of the liver.
    You could end up with as much oil as cooking water, and the liver pieces shrunk a lot. Still good, though; a matter of taste and/or tradition.

This would be a side dish to cooked cod, along with cooked cod roe, potatoes and carrots, served with melted butter.
    Seasonal food during the Great Cod Haul in the Lofoten Islands, around January - March.

But having to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fate:
    Canned, it usually serves as a hangover pick-me-up on a slice of bread.
    Drench the bread in the oil, spread the liver on top, season with salt and pepper, a drop of lemon juice, and down she goes.
    The Following Day you'd be farting anyway, so no matter.

I'd probably make some kind of spice mix or marinade to, well, spice it up a bit.
    Something sour (lemon, or a mini-dash of vinegar, or even white wine), pepper, salt, some herbs like parsley, spring onion or chives ... stuff you like.

Since it's fairly taste neutral, apart from the whiff of, to be brutally honest, cod liver oil, you can probably cuisinify it.
    Mix it into ground pork meat, along with anchovies, cook meat balls, served in Bechamel with capers, for a dash of the Baltic.
    For a mediterranean dish, experiment with some form of tomato (slices, salsa, paste, ketchup ...), some garlic and perhaps some chili.
    Asia: smother in curry powder and hot chili for the traditional could-be-anything-under-the-spices Indian dish.
    Fish sauce, coriander, sesame oil = Saigon; Hot water, Miso, seaweed, spring onion, _perhaps_ sesame oil = Tokyo.
    I wouldn't know about Africa, South America, Australia and Antarctica; but then there's YouTube.

For variation, eat other fatty fish like trout and salmon (wild !!!), hering and mackerel, too.
    Cooked, grilled or preferably lightly salted and smoked, they're all delicious.
    Try e.g. a mousse of whipped cream or sour cream or Philadelphia type "fresh cheese", with chives, salt, pepper, rolled in a tortilla ...
    With cream and a dash of vodka as a pasta sauce .... recipes abound.

Have fun exploring

M

Canned cod liver as a source of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, with a reference to contamination.

Nice to know cod liver (oil) is relatively contaminant-free. I'll have to ask the fish monger if they have fresh or frozen cod livers and roe.

super healthy foods. better eat it fresh though! dont you live in NB?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNarrator View Post
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

super healthy foods. better eat it fresh though! dont you live in NB?
    I'm a rolling stone, son.

I'm a rolling stone, son.
    papa? ..........
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.