Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to start LIKING your vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    You basically have to learn to cook if you want to eat things that don't taste like garbage.
    I hate the culture of fast food so much.
    A bit late, and somewhat depressing, but I cannot deny that in this question, we agree. Make of it what you will.

Luckily, cooking is not difficult.
    With a little practice, throwing together a decent meal takes no more time than oven heating some industrial sawdust-and-soy "pizza".
    A decent knife, a decent carving board, some bowls and containers, a few decent pots and pans ... all solid, good quality wood, steel, china, glass.
    Some kind of heat, electrical, gas, charcoal. Learn how and where how much heat is how fast and how long.

Buy fresh produce, meat, seafood, vegetables, fruit - never anything pre-prepared - and buy to suit your dietary needs.
    Grow herbs.
    Buy veg from local farmers if you can. Fish, or buy fresh seafood from fishermen.
    Buy from a good butcher. Or even better, buy meat from local ranchers, if you can.
    Or even better, buy game from hunters, if you can. Or even better, hunt, if you can.
    If you can, have a big freezer.

Pick fruit, berries, mushrooms, if you can.

Stock some fat or oil and flour or other thickening agent, salt, and spices of choice.

The absolute minimum of sugar (one teaspoon for the occcasional tomato sauce).
    The absolute minimum of processed starches (flour of wheat, rice, maize) - one tbsp for the occasional thickening.
    The absolute minimum of starches (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes).
    Steam rather than cook veg, slow cook proteins.

Eat the things you like. everything is healthy for something, unhealthy for something else. Nothing is only healthy, not even water.
    So ... when you eat, you can choose to think about the bad ("Water ... there go my electrolytes...") or the good ("Water ... healthiest liquid
    there is ..."), and so with everyting else, avocado (fatty/full of minerals) water melon (sugars/full of man-friendly minerals and enzymes),
    alcohol (bad for liver/good for heart) and so on for every food.
    I usualy think of the good, and I'm glad every day because I eat (and drink) so much healthy stuff

The key is variation.
    Buy seasonal and special offers, and never use a fcking recipe - unless you're baking - then you'll never have to eat the same meal twice in your whole life.

Flavoured liquids/broth = flavouring agent like meat (trimmings and bones), fish, veg .... plus spices and herbs.
    Broth + thickening = jus, soup, congee, sauce, dip, porridge, puree/mash, dumplings, biscuits ....

Plenty of cooking schools on youtube.

I
    Knife Skills
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...c+knife+skills
    Pick the face you like best.

I reccommend finding a chef's knife that
    - is comparatively short
    - is really thin, not back-to-edge, but side-to-side (e.g. thai style knives, around 1 mm thick)
    - has comparatively soft steel, so you can set and restore the edge on it with some light swipes of a steel.
    If it takes two hours on a diamond disk, you'll never do it, you'll cook with a dull knife, you'll use force, and that's when you cut yourself.
    Dull knife = dull cook.

II
    Cookery
    Never mind all the recipes (unless you want to try some), look at the "essentials" or "basics",
    not to copy (unless you want to), but to get an overview of what the basics are and how simple it is.

Some pros:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChefToddMohr/videos

Details on stock vs. broth:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL89KL7RiWA

Details on brown stock:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eCC6RkUSbk

Details on demi-glace:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQSG0A60kqw

Big man in big kitchen:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSeasonedCook/videos

Check out Playlists, the Essentials.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSeas...dd&shelf_id=14
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSeas...dd&shelf_id=14

Example for comparison: Brown stock.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrSpTrodD-w

oodles of fun,

M
    Last edited by Manalysis; 08-29-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblueeyes View Post
    Tomatoes are THE most important vegetable a man can eat.
    its a fruit.

but yeah eat it if you can (i should post a pic of my garden)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNarrator View Post
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    Grow herbs.
    this one is ridiculous

#1 for your health. fresh herbs are amazing for your health! roman saying : "why be sick when you can grow sage in your garden"
    #2 taste! my god if you grow oregano/basil/sage/taragon/mint/chives/garlic/rosemary/cumin/coreander etc you put them by your house so that you can just walk out onto your little path and pick herbs every time you cook.. its bRILLIANT..
    #3 after having herbs all over your path or your back deck as above... it means A) smells awesome everytime you sit/walk past B) it repels bugs!
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

It's pickling time of the year! Make your own sour pickles! Yeah, I make pickles....don't judge me. Nothing but water, salt, and pickling cucumbers....add whatever flavoring floats yer boat (bay leaves, dill, peppercorns, garlic, etc.)! Google sour pickle recipes, but don't do the ones with vinegar and sugar. With sour pickles, lacti bacteria break down the sugars in the cucumbers into lactic acid; it's the same probiotics that makes yogurt and kefir good for you. They say to use proper ceramic fermenting crocks, but I have good luck with large ice cream tubs which you can buy from your local scooped ice cream shop for cheap. My place smells like fucking dill pickles at the moment. Manalysis, sliced sour pickles with sliced Jarlsberg cheese is to do for!

its a fruit.
    Quit being anal, dude. Say, do you grow pickling cukes? I was going to try for a garden this year but my soil is really bad. Might as well say it's sand.
    Last edited by oldblueeyes; 08-30-2017 at 02:06 AM.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Love yous guys.

...cant get in my front door without passing the oregano and parsley

granted though living in a townhouse means you need to be just a little bit extra determined to grow veggies

as for knocking good food together, I'm even training the missus

spring time here ... time for some boxes full o beans
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
    "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

"What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam

Quote Originally Posted by oldblueeyes View Post
    Yeah, I make pickles....don't judge me.
    I confess: I do to.

Nothing but water, salt, and pickling cucumbers....
    OK, so ... no vinegar ... (?)

add whatever flavoring floats yer boat (bay leaves, dill, peppercorns, garlic, etc.)!
    For fun, two East Prussian variations: Slip a leaf into the jar, of either oak tree, or some fruit (cherry tree, or blackcurrant, or ...).

Google sour pickle recipes, but don't do the ones with vinegar and sugar. With sour pickles, lacti bacteria break down the sugars in the cucumbers into lactic acid; it's the same probiotics that makes yogurt and kefir good for you.
    OK, so ... vinegar after all ... (?)

Manalysis, sliced sour pickles with sliced Jarlsberg cheese is to do for!
    Golly, you get that at your place? Sounds like an umami bomb ... but any mild yellow should do, I think?

I was going to try for a garden this year but my soil is really bad. Might as well say it's sand.
    Asparagus?

M

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    spring time here ... time for some boxes full o beans
    Good for you

Me, though, I'm an anti-vegan; if I am served a meal with even the minutest trace of no meat in it ...
    I have a life-threatening allergic shock, exposing particularly the host to violent bouts of Culinary Tourette's.
    Four men must hold me down and force a piece of salted and smoked fat (any animal) between my teeth.

M

too bad bacon isn't a vegetable

but ive cut out bacon grease sandwiches, and get lean ground beef, and since my second heartattack, I have more fish and chips and less 3 meat, 3 cheese spaghetti.

I realized after my first heart attack, I like bacon better than life itself.

good for you guys tho.

if your like me, some yogurt, nuts and oj are palatable. chicken and fish can be an ok substitute for food, once and awhile. corn is easy and not horrible. I find buying vegetables and seeing them in my fridge makes me feel healthier, its almost like eating them. celery makes living with hemriods easier.

young pussy sounds like a good mid nite snack.
    Last edited by menrppl2; 08-30-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    A man can gain no more respect than by, laying down his life for a woman. And a woman, no more than by, beating down a man. For a man to ask, what is fair and good and true and just, is to offend.

OK, so ... no vinegar ... (?)
    Sweet Jesus, what did I say? Do you see any vinegar in this recipe? Making Sour Pickles

OK, so ... vinegar after all ... (?)
    C'mon, you're smart, you know the difference.....vinegar is acetic acid, this is lactic acid we're talking about.

Golly, you get that at your place? Sounds like an umami bomb ... but any mild yellow should do, I think?
    Sour pickle with sharp cheddar or parmesan is great too, and of course emmental and gruyere and those types, but Jarlsberg has a unique nutty flavor. Fuck I love cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Quote Originally Posted by menrppl2 View Post
    too bad bacon isn't a vegetable
    Sacrilege.
    I'm overjoyed it isn't.

but ive cut out bacon grease sandwiches, and get lean ground beef
    Can you get game? Best meat there is.

I like bacon better than life itself.
    T-Shirt ...!

chicken and fish can be an ok substitute for food, once and awhile
    Another t-shirt ...

I find buying vegetables and seeing them in my fridge makes me feel healthier, its almost like eating them.
    This one goes into the Louvre.

M