Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to start LIKING your vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by oldblueeyes View Post
    Sweet Jesus, what did I say?
    Sorry, my bad; to me, vinegar pickles, too, taste sour. I didn't realize that you were talking about natural fermentation.
    But yes, that is great. I enjoy sauerkraut, too. And pickled onion. And they sell some great pickled celery ... root? Celeriac? ... from Russia here.

Do you see any vinegar in this recipe? Making Sour Pickles
    Thx for a great recipe. Cool to see the oak and cherry leaves, there, too.

C'mon, you're smart
    No, I'm intelligent; unfortunately, that's not always the same thing.

you know the difference.....
    Of course. Known it since for several minutes already.

vinegar is acetic acid, this is lactic acid we're talking about.
    Aye, aye, sir.

Sour pickle with sharp cheddar or parmesan is great too, and of course emmental and gruyere and those types, but Jarlsberg has a unique nutty flavor.
    Yes, a good one.
    If they have more unlocal brands, try "Snøfrisk" - goat's milk cream cheese. Great for making dips and canapees (e.g. with smoked salmon in a 'tortilla').

Fuck I love cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How great to fucklovefuck cheese, since your dick can make it

M

Those packs of seaweed crisps you get at Korean shops, they're good stuff! Makes a great snacking alternative to potato or nacho chips (which are all carbs...bad bad bad). Kimchi is awesome too! Hmmm, I'm gonna try making kimchi sometime soon. I'm gonna make a great little wifey someday!
    Men stay single and your pockets will jingle!

Those packs of seaweed crisps you get at Korean shops, they're good stuff! Makes a great snacking alternative to potato or nacho chips (which are all carbs...bad bad bad). Kimchi is awesome too! Hmmm, I'm gonna try making kimchi sometime soon. I'm gonna make a great little wifey someday!
    If there are no Korean shops in the area ... a head of iceberg lettuce for chips, and e.g. sour milk + salt +herbs dip ...
    Or fish sauce + water to taste + chopped coriander leaves (cilantro?) + chili + garlic + lime + spices ...

M

Classic Caesar Salad

My favorite Caesar salad recipe. With anchovy, worcestershire sauce, and parmigiano......now you're talking umami! There's always lots of sauce left after I eat the romaine lettuce, and I drink it all down, baby! I don't bother with croutons as I'm pretty well anti-processed-carb these days.

It's pickling time of the year! Make your own sour pickles! Yeah, I make pickles....don't judge me. Nothing but water, salt, and pickling cucumbers....add whatever flavoring floats yer boat (bay leaves, dill, peppercorns, garlic, etc.)! Google sour pickle recipes, but don't do the ones with vinegar and sugar. With sour pickles, lacti bacteria break down the sugars in the cucumbers into lactic acid; it's the same probiotics that makes yogurt and kefir good for you. They say to use proper ceramic fermenting crocks, but I have good luck with large ice cream tubs which you can buy from your local scooped ice cream shop for cheap. My place smells like fucking dill pickles at the moment. Manalysis, sliced sour pickles with sliced Jarlsberg cheese is to do for!

Quit being anal, dude. Say, do you grow pickling cukes? I was going to try for a garden this year but my soil is really bad. Might as well say it's sand.
    beets are my fav
    but we do pickles too
    onions as well!
    i used to do asparagus but dont have any here
    and eggs.. and garlic
    Last edited by TheNarrator; 08-31-2017 at 12:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNarrator View Post
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

I like mung bean sprouts quickly stir-fried in toasted sesame oil. Add some soy sauce, garlic powder, a little rice wine vinegar, a little chopped green onion, and chili pepper flakes. Kinda like Kongnamool but not. Adding cooked and chopped chicken breast meat would be nice, too. Pretty quick and easy.

Get a steamer, abso-frickking love 'em !!

Steam 300gm frozen veg
    Remove, add :
    Sprinkling of salt, 1tbspn Red Wine Vinegar, 1 tbspn Hi-EPA/DHA Cod Liver Oil, 1tbspn of EVOO (in that order, add the oil first and your salt/vinegar will drain off to the side), mix well;
    (Optional) add 1tbspn of Garlic Mayo

Best frickken veggies ever, plus you're getting a good stack of Omega 3 to boot.
    Last edited by Jaybee; 09-29-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    >>"and in other news, the Judge in the case of AVFM Vs Feminazism ruled today that the creators of 'Gender Equality' are guilty of Intent to Obtain Social Change by Deception. The Feminazi case collapsed just one day into the trial, after a 1st year medical student demonstrated that men are not, in fact, equal to women".<<

Newbie AVFM Member, 2 days in: "My eyes, why do my eyes hurt?"

Jaybee, cautious tone: "You've never used them before".

Spinach lasagna is a good way to get some veggie nutrition. I sauteed 4 packs of baby spinach for this recipe...geez, it seems like a lot, but it wilts down to nothing; good thing they were close to expiration date and half price. I used Costco Kirkland organic marinara sauce (even more veggies....though Narrator will come on and say something fruity like "tomatoes are fruits, not veggies!"). I guess this recipe isn't officially lasagna as it uses penne or whatever, but it's still delicious. I cooked an hour at 350 covered and then upped the temp to 400, took the cover off, and baked for another 15 minutes (which is not what this recipe says to do) in order to give it that golden orange-brown crusty cheese skin on top.

Spinach and Ricotta Lazy Lasagna

Use top-shelf cheese only. Any cheese which has "modified milk ingredients" in its ingredient list IS NOT CHEESE! FUCK KRAFT! Cheese is not evil; in fact, "Based on results from numerous prospective observational studies and meta-analyses, most, but not all, have shown no association and in some cases an inverse relationship between the intake of milk fat containing dairy products and the risk of CVD, CHD (coronary heart disease), and stroke. "
    Last edited by oldblueeyes; 10-01-2017 at 02:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    I actually make protein shakes a lot, before or after workouts. It's easy to get your veggies this way, and raw or under cooked has the most vitamins. So, I just take one cup of raw spinach and one cup of raw kale, and toss it into a blender with protein powder, banana, and anything else I might add. Toss in some ice cubes, and the shake will be green, but you won't taste the kale or spinach too much. Kale, you will taste depending on how much you add, but I like that taste.

Miso Soup: Elixir of the Gods!

So I started making my own miso broth at home. First, I make a dashi using some 'boiled & dried anchovy', some dried kelp pieces, a handful of some long and stalky seaweed that I forget the name of, 2 diced onions (I use the skins too because they have lots of good shit like quercetin), and a couple of shredded carrots; I toss all this in a pot and let it simmer for a few hours or even all day. I haven't tried adding dried mushroom yet but that can only add to its depth of flavor.

Once well-simmered, I strain the liquid and let it cool down a bit (you don't want to add the miso paste to the dashi when it's too hot because the heat kills off the living stuff in the miso...the bacteria I guess...maybe enzymes too...I dunno I ain't no scientist). Then I fill a large mug with the warm dashi and stir in a tablespoon of miso paste. This stuff is tasty and addictive! You could make miso soup by serving it in a bowl and adding ramen noodles or nori or whatever, but I love just drinking the broth from a mug.

Between the veggies and the seaweed, that's a lot of vegetarian nutrition. Sure, you're just drinking the broth, as the rest is trashed, but still. And of course, miso paste is made from soybeans (use organic miso paste if you want to stay away from the glyphosate-soaked shit that is GMO soybean).

I get the 'boiled & dried anchovies' and the seaweeds from my local Korean shop because I trust Korean food standards more than Chinese; fuck that, I don't eat any shit that comes from China! And also because there's no Japanese store in town.

Here's the seaweed and kelp brand I get:

Miso soup and dashi recipes:

Homemade Miso Soup 味噌汁

How To Make Dashi
    Last edited by oldblueeyes; 10-22-2017 at 01:19 AM.