Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: President Trump pardons ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who was convicted in racial profiling

  1. #1

    President Trump pardons ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who was convicted in racial profiling

    Controversial sheriff Joe Arpaio gets presidential pardon for harassing hispanic communities and racially profiling hispanic people.

    Here a news clip few months ago, listing the resources he have to avoid expending any time in jail... they didn't even imagine that presidential pardon was a possibility....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiF7NtTUxGA

    "President Trump pardons ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who was convicted in racial profiling case"
    http://abc7.com/politics/trump-pardo...rpaio/2342616/

    And here an interview of Joe Arpaio talking about how great it feel to be him, Fox News reporter also celebrating:


  2. #2
    The view that 'profiling' is wrong is just more of the same crud that happens in a society in its last days. Which is pretty much why the last days are the last days.

    So, you have a problem with Hispanic illegals in Arizona? Checking out people who look like they might be Hispanic isn't 'fay-er'. It's racist. You have to spend as much time and energy checking out 6 month old blond babies as you do checking out men who look like they might be from Central America or Mexico.

  3. #3
    When it comes to presidential pardons... I am surprised this one is being pointed out compared to some of the folks Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama pardoned, including murderers and drug dealers.

    The biggest crime this man made (no jury by trial either, which is interesting) was attempting to enforce the law on a visible minority. Apparently he was too effective at it, so that had to be shut down.

    That particular group votes almost exclusively for bigger state. It's funny how you are not supposed to profile races (btw: Mexican is not a race, its a nation/culture), because its a harmful stereotype... the "La Raza" is exactly about preserving 'racial' differences, including a particular voting pattern.

    I am ambivalent on this particular pardon... however I am against the concept of pardoning entirely. Every one of us commits a felony or two daily because it is impossible to know all the laws, and yet ignorance of a law is not a defense.

    States love the concept of original sin also... your guilty so better keep your head down and mouth shut... but more importantly keep the cash flowing to the persons in power.

  4. #4
    Senior Member malcolm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    2,855
    Rep Power
    38
    I'm happy for Mr. Arpaio. God bless president Trump. Build that wall.
    “No one is free who has not obtained the empire of himself. No man is free who cannot command himself.”
    ― Pythagoras

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by polite_disagreement View Post
    The view that 'profiling' is wrong is just more of the same crud that happens in a society in its last days. Which is pretty much why the last days are the last days.

    So, you have a problem with Hispanic illegals in Arizona? Checking out people who look like they might be Hispanic isn't 'fay-er'. It's racist. You have to spend as much time and energy checking out 6 month old blond babies as you do checking out men who look like they might be from Central America or Mexico.
    Imagine you are an american, born in america your parents are americans... but your color of skin resembles the color of skin of a lot of illegal immigrants...

    The reason why the cops stop you at least 8 times at day, asking you for your documents... the reason why you always get late to work.. the reason why you lost your job...

    At some point you will be fed up with it... and kind of be against racially profiling? Don't you think?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    When it comes to presidential pardons... I am surprised this one is being pointed out compared to some of the folks Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama pardoned, including murderers and drug dealers.

    The biggest crime this man made (no jury by trial either, which is interesting) was attempting to enforce the law on a visible minority. Apparently he was too effective at it, so that had to be shut down.

    That particular group votes almost exclusively for bigger state. It's funny how you are not supposed to profile races (btw: Mexican is not a race, its a nation/culture), because its a harmful stereotype... the "La Raza" is exactly about preserving 'racial' differences, including a particular voting pattern.

    I am ambivalent on this particular pardon... however I am against the concept of pardoning entirely. Every one of us commits a felony or two daily because it is impossible to know all the laws, and yet ignorance of a law is not a defense.

    States love the concept of original sin also... your guilty so better keep your head down and mouth shut... but more importantly keep the cash flowing to the persons in power.
    The biggest crime this man made... as the charges say was to be in contempt with justice... he refused to turn in videos, documents and other evidence that was order him to turn in, as part of an investigation for racial profiling...

    But oh well, that was one law he ignored... so kind of selective in the laws he follows?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    Imagine you are an american, born in america your parents are americans... but your color of skin resembles the color of skin of a lot of illegal immigrants...

    The reason why the cops stop you at least 8 times at day, asking you for your documents... the reason why you always get late to work.. the reason why you lost your job...

    At some point you will be fed up with it... and kind of be against racially profiling? Don't you think?
    Okay, this is easy. Do you know anyone who has been stopped 8 times a day, and lost his job in Arizona because of bring profiled? I have been wrong before and expect to be wrong again, but I think you are making stuff up.

    I mostly live in Mexico and love the Mexican people. But, I do think the US has a right to control its immigration. i tell people here don't go to the USA; they don't like you as an illegal.

  8. #8
    Administrator Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pacific North West
    Posts
    5,010
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    Imagine you are an american, born in america your parents are americans... but your color of skin resembles the color of skin of a lot of illegal immigrants...

    The reason why the cops stop you at least 8 times at day, asking you for your documents... the reason why you always get late to work.. the reason why you lost your job...

    At some point you will be fed up with it... and kind of be against racially profiling? Don't you think?
    SM, I lived in Fresno and So Cal, I have family who are Americans of Mexican heritage and have lived in the communities growing up and visit them often(Google Fresno County). This is not as prominent a problem as some would think, in fact two of my brother in laws, half a dozen nieces and nephews, a hundred or more of their relatives and friends have never been pulled over for being misidentified as a possible criminal or illegal. In fact I think I'm the only one in the damn family who has been pulled over(two times) for being profiled (bank robber, and bandit biker because I had an US Air Force Eagle on my Jacket) and I'm lilly white.

    Now I'm not saying it does not happen, It certainly does. But most of the family and friends I know understand the criminal element amongst us and have no problem with police profiling individuals in the process of their jobs. One of my brother in laws is a cop so maybe we are biased.

    Your appeal seems to be one we often see from those who through no fault of their own live in bad communities, or criminals themselve attempting to strap law enforcement. Or most often, have a political agenda. Most upstanding citizens understand and press on.

    But by all means exaggerate from your lofty perch.

    As far as this Sharrif, I'm not in support of violating court orders, but I support the pardon.
    ethikē aretē--phronesis--eudaimonia
    virtue of character--practical/ethical wisdom--human flourishing

    It is not a battle to win but an attitude to share.
    AVFM Mission Statement

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    SM, I lived in Fresno and So Cal, I have family who are Americans of Mexican heritage and have lived in the communities growing up and visit them often(Google Fresno County). This is not as prominent a problem as some would think, in fact two of my brother in laws, half a dozen nieces and nephews, a hundred or more of their relatives and friends have never been pulled over for being misidentified as a possible criminal or illegal. In fact I think I'm the only one in the damn family who has been pulled over(two times) for being profiled (bank robber, and bandit biker because I had an US Air Force Eagle on my Jacket) and I'm lilly white.

    Now I'm not saying it does not happen, It certainly does. But most of the family and friends I know understand the criminal element amongst us and have no problem with police profiling individuals in the process of their jobs. One of my brother in laws is a cop so maybe we are biased.

    Your appeal seems to be one we often see from those who through no fault of their own live in bad communities, or criminals themselve attempting to strap law enforcement. Or most often, have a political agenda. Most upstanding citizens understand and press on.

    But by all means exaggerate from your lofty perch.

    As far as this Sharrif, I'm not in support of violating court orders, but I support the pardon.
    I did not made up this story, the guy gave an interview on TV... Univision few years ago... so no looking for it... but the guy claims this happened to him, he says the same cops stopped him several times, even if they already saw his papers the day before... they stop him again the next day... and so on... it was so bad that people was mass leaving Arizona, even the legals... because the harassment was that bad.

    I am going to assume your home is nowhere near tent city? You think I am making up exaggerated stuff? and so the judge that sentenced Arpaio???

  10. #10
    Administrator Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pacific North West
    Posts
    5,010
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    I did not made up this story, the guy gave an interview on TV... Univision few years ago... so no looking for it... but the guy claims this happened to him, he says the same cops stopped him several times, even if they already saw his papers the day before... they stop him again the next day... and so on... it was so bad that people was mass leaving Arizona, even the legals... because the harassment was that bad.

    I am going to assume your home is nowhere near tent city? You think I am making up exaggerated stuff? and so the judge that sentenced Arpaio???
    Univision should have been the first clue that something may be amis. Some of these communities have many problems; Illegals, Drugs, Gangs and many others. You are hearing a story and there is much more complexity to it. I'm telling you, I lived in a similar community with many of the same issues, places where you cannot put your mail in the mail box or receive it because some fool will steal it and shoot you if you complain. And yes, I'm challenging the notion someone got stopped 8 times in a day without the rest ofthe story. As far as Arpaio and the judge, I'm very familiar with the politics and the shenanigans. I also said I don't support violating court orders, But I support the pardon.
    ethikē aretē--phronesis--eudaimonia
    virtue of character--practical/ethical wisdom--human flourishing

    It is not a battle to win but an attitude to share.
    AVFM Mission Statement

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •