Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the name of that fallacy?

What is the name of that fallacy?

I must be losing the plot because I've forgotten the name of the fallacy often used by feminists to bolster their flim-flam. One of them creates a statistic out of thin air, this is cited, cited again, and becomes true. I think it begins with M perhaps after a person. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkMan View Post
    I must be losing the plot because I've forgotten the name of the fallacy often used by feminists to bolster their flim-flam. One of them creates a statistic out of thin air, this is cited, cited again, and becomes true. I think it begins with M perhaps after a person. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    I've usually seen that referred to as a "woozle", and there is an older term, too: Furphy ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furphy ).

I don't know that it is technically a separate fallacy of its own, since it is, in reality, a mere piece of false information.

It does fulfill the criterion of being thought to be a reason without being a reason (in good or bad faith),
    so perhaps it could be called "false appeal to authority" (bad faith/a lie), or "appeal to false authority" (good faith/ignorance)...?

It very often rests on overextension of the area of validity of any given proposition (like, the numbers don't prove an "epidemic" of rape, much less a "rape culture"),
    something which might occur at any stage in e.g. a study: definition of terms to be used, sample universe, interpretation, presentation, etc. etc. etc.

HTH,

M

Blog Entries
    I'd call it combination of lying and "Appeal to Authority".

Lying isn't really a logical fallacy, it's just lying. It's not a failure of logic, it's a failure of character.

Women's Studies professor Hairy Armpits VonFreeBleeder makes up a statistic (lie). Then a bunch of feminists point to the statistic and claim it's legitimate because she's "an expert in her field". (appeal to authority)

(Should have read M's full post first...glad to see my conclusion wasn't wildly different)
    "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

Blog Entries
    "Proof by assertion – a proposition is repeatedly restated regardless of contradiction" pay gap

"McNamara fallacy (quantitative fallacy) – making a decision based only on quantitative observations, discounting all other considerations." yes all women

"Moralistic fallacy – inferring factual conclusions from purely evaluative premises in violation of fact–value distinction." Schrodinger's rapist (all men are potential rapists because some men have been proven to rape therefor, it is justifiable to fear and hate all men)

"Presentism, which is a mode of historical analysis in which present-day ideas, such as moral standards, are projected into the past" Women have always been oppressed

"Fallacy of the single cause (causal oversimplification – it is assumed that there is one, simple cause of an outcome when in reality it may have been caused by a number of only jointly sufficient causes." Pay gap " paygap is caused by X, Y, and Z" "No, paygap is because sexism"

"False attribution – an advocate appeals to an irrelevant, unqualified, unidentified, biased or fabricated source in support of an argument." Any argument citing a gender studies Prof lol

"False authority (single authority) – using an expert of dubious credentials or using only one opinion to sell a product or idea." Same as above

"Ecological fallacy – inferences about the nature of specific individuals are based solely upon aggregate statistics collected for the group to which those individuals belong." 70% of violent crime is committed by men, therefor, men are violent.

"Equivocation – the misleading use of a term with more than one meaning (by glossing over which meaning is intended at a particular time)" [Gender vs sex] vs [gender = sex].

"Definitional retreat – changing the meaning of a word to deal with an objection raised against the original wording." The constant "new" definitions of rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment, racism, sexism, etc.

"Appeal to the stone (argumentum ad lapidem) – dismissing a claim as absurd without demonstrating proof for its absurdity." Feminism is cancer (specifically, feminists reaction to this).

"Survivorship bias – when a small number of survivors of a given process are actively promoted while completely ignoring a large number of failures" Women are just as good as men at STEM, look at Marie Curie

Oh fuck it, I'm tired of going through these. Feminism is full of fallacies. Take your pick it's probably true.

Blog Entries
    I sexually identify as a sword pommel, check your privilege or i will have to end you RIGHTLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
    Women's Studies professor Hairy Armpits VonFreeBleeder makes up a statistic (lie).
    No, the lie is almost never entirely "made up" - they leave that dirty work to their popularizers in the trivimedia.
    They always go through cargo-cult-like imitations of research, like phoning five other feminists and calling it a "poll" or giving a questionnaire to 50 freshmen in Vermont and calling it a "study", which they then use to claim something about all men in the world and world history.
    There are errors all the way, beginning with researching to find confirmation of something you want to be true, the choice of methodological tools ("Patriarchy" ...), introducing bias into definitions og terms and formulation of questions and answers options, to "cleaning up" of "data" ("eliminating ouitliers", i.e. data that don't fit), interpreting the data, drawing conclusions, naming the study, writing a sensationalizing - the trivimedia, for the use of - abstract, distributing results to reporters sympathetic to The Cause ... and many more.

Then a bunch of feminists point to the statistic and claim it's legitimate because she's "an expert in her field". (appeal to authority)
    She probably may be, nobody else "studies" what they "study", nor how they "study" ... but the first step is always publication.
    Then the publication is cited, with that claim you refer to above. Then original author A gets re-cited by author B, a bigger name, and B re-cited by author C, an even bigger name, and soon the claim is based on some really Big Name quoting in it Real Big Name's book, making it an Eternal Truth - and there you have your woozle.

Although all these minor steps are in effect equivalent to lying, they each belong to separate, and analyzable, methodological categories.
    So some attention to technical detail can be in order, sometimes.

M

Quote Originally Posted by JamesNunya View Post
    Feminism is full of fallacies.
    Indeed.
    But while your eminent list doesn't really address the overall question, I think most of them apply to many a single step in the Cargo type research I describe.
    IOW, the list provides yet another tool.

So ... thank you for your sacrifice ... have a cyber-whisky on me. A good Ardbeg, that should clean out most of the taste

Take your pick, it's _all_ true.
    And fixed that.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Here, a helpful sheet
    "Helpful" ...? Sheet, no, you phallogocentric fe-mind-fucking rationality-rapist.

M

Woozle! Magic dude. Thanks.