Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are Scouts in US gender segregated?

Blog Entries

Why are Scouts in US gender segregated?

When i was about 14 i joined scout organization in my home town along with my two younger brothers, it did not last very long sadly, since it fell apart after one year due to some internal problems, but it was fun while it lasted, i went to one winter camping and one summer camping as well as the national scout gathering that lasted 2 days, there were about 12 or so girls and 15 or so boys in our group (people came and went), we camped together, even slept in the same rooms and tents, and there was never any incident whatsoever. I saw Americans talk about girl scouts and boy scouts but i always taught it was purely programs that were organized by either boys or girls, i had no idea they were in reality two separate organizations, i really don´t understand why they need to be segregated.
    I sexually identify as a sword pommel, check your privilege or i will have to end you RIGHTLY.

I can only speak from 1980 or so until 1997. But, in that time period, if the girls in the USA were active with the boys, the girls would be constantly making insults and put-downs against the boys, at an age when boys are especially emotionally vulnerable.

Of course, the real reason is historical. Boy Scouts was started in England by Lord Baden-Powell, hero of sorts of the Boer War. He designed it especially for boys, in every sense.

Later, he was on an ocean trip with the woman who started Girl Scouts, and they talked a lot and that is where she got her ideas for Girl Scouts. But, she modified it because in those days it was believed girls shouldn't be doing strenuous exercises like boys did.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear. Boy Scouts was never intended to be "fun". It was intended to turn boys into effective leaders, and the program as it was when I left indeed did that. Of course, it was also fun, because doing brave things is always fun for boys who have not yet been emasculated.

Though I did not participate in a coed youth group, I also suspect that teaching leadership to boys will be different then teaching it to girls. Boys and girls are different.

Blog Entries
    Here you go.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ovement-begins

Dude created some military scout manuals that went public, little boys enjoyed them, dude adapted them for the younger audience and created a uniform for them. Boom, Boy Scouts. 2 years later, creates a similar thing for girls. Boom, Girl Guides. American comes to London, meets a boy scout, brings the idea back home where there were other similar (local) things, organizes them. Boom, Boy Scouts of America. Woman sees all this thinks, "Why not vagina?" Boom, Girl Scouts of America.

PS, that's the way it should be done. "You got something I like, I'll get one too." Not, "You got something I like. I'll take that!" ie what's happening to the boy scouts today.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesNunya View Post
    Here you go.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ovement-begins

Dude created some military scout manuals that went public, little boys enjoyed them, dude adapted them for the younger audience and created a uniform for them. Boom, Boy Scouts. 2 years later, creates a similar thing for girls. Boom, Girl Guides. American comes to London, meets a boy scout, brings the idea back home where there were other similar (local) things, organizes them. Boom, Boy Scouts of America. Woman sees all this thinks, "Why not vagina?" Boom, Girl Scouts of America.

PS, that's the way it should be done. "You got something I like, I'll get one too." Not, "You got something I like. I'll take that!" ie what's happening to the boy scouts today.
    I like you way to narrating the story... you should write a full book with the history of humankind, on that same style.

Blog Entries
    That's how I summarize lots of stuff actually lol It's kind of my way of saying "and long story short..."

Had a .... ''conversation'' with my manager the other night. He wanted to know why everyone left an hour and a half early the night before. I said, "Shit was done. Called everyone, told 'em to come get their shit. Got it out. Boom, done."

Translated: "Every customer's orders had already been picked and assembled. So instead of waiting around for them to come in at their scheduled time, we called the customers and told them their orders were ready. The customers came and picked up their things. We cleaned up and headed out early. Why wait?"

He didn't believe it so he stayed to observe close that night. With 1 hour to go we had 2 pick ups remaining, while understaffed, and with me leaving an hour before closing. Area was already waiting to be closed, just had to get those 2 last orders out to the customers who were late. (Close is at 9, I said, "It's 8, 2 orders still sitting, supposed to have been picked up at 7:30, already called 'em, shop's clean. Boom, shit's done. I'm out.)

Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    I like you way to narrating the story... you should write a full book with the history of humankind, on that same style.
    Stone Age: 'Crack!' Scream.

Battle of Cannae: Jangle, jangle jangle, jangle, scream, jangle. Scream.

/.../

WWI: Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Sulk.

WWII, Europe: Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Scream.

WWII, Pacific. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom.
    BOOM!
    Scream.
    BOOM, done.

Charlotteville: Scream. Scream. Scream. Scream. Boom. Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Not done yet! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream! Scream!

Probably be a great audiobook.

M

chuckling at M.

...seriously, gender is a fiction and sex is a continuum.

So scouts cannot be gender segregated.

also would like to see the girls dig the latrine ... and lash together the throne.

I'll cook.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
    "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

"What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    chuckling at M.

...seriously, gender is a fiction and sex is a continuum.

So scouts cannot be gender segregated.

also would like to see the girls dig the latrine ... and lash together the throne.

I'll cook.
    If you had been in that camp i was you would have swallowed your tongue, there was literally no going easy on the girls, if you had to chop wood, keep watch during the night, clean snow or raise tents in the middle of the muddy field women were expected to work as hard as men, must be something we inherited from the partisan groups that used to roam this areas during WW2.
    I sexually identify as a sword pommel, check your privilege or i will have to end you RIGHTLY.

Hang on what camp?
    Are you saying that where you are, and in yr experience, that there were no gendered differences among the scouts?

If true, then great ... dig that hole woman
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
    "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

"What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam