Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Flies remake with all girls

Quote Originally Posted by voidspawn View Post
    Have to say, I don't think Shapiro's analysis is any good. His boys are and girls are... is excessive.
    You are right.
    He seems to think that LOTF is a psychological drama about boys being boys. It isn't.
    It's a parable about human ethics in the face of loss of moral authority, in the wake of WWII.

And it makes no actual comment why girls couldn't do the acting in LOTF.
    Of course they could. But at the time of writing, it was a given that boys and men could stand in for makind in general; and a book about girls gone wild would just have been a book about girls gone wild.
    Blame the times (and the Patriarchy).
    Now they want to make a new one, so that boys and girls each get one of their own,
    or possibly, to say that now women stand in for mankind in general; and a film about boys gone wild would merely have been just another film about toxic masculinity.

The point is more about what kind of political manipulation would SJW producers do with a classic story that made a strong point.
    Yes. So interesting, in fact, that I would love it if they made it, just to see what they come up with.

The point of LOTF isn't that it's a group of boys, it's that it's a group of children.
    Not even that. To go Peterson, it's a film about people who lose The Father, the Lawgiver.
    You couldn't do that with grown-ups, because then you'd have to spell out that God Is Dead;
    but with boys, it's unremarkable that authority figures are missing.

Boys add the dramatic edge because of a closer edge to the extremes of behaviour that makes for drama. Putting in female actors would possibly make that look more artificial.
    Nah, that's psycchology again.
    Look at modern action movies; they're fully capable of portraying little girls as bloodthirsty 42 pound Ghengis Khans.

M

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    Nah, that's psycchology again.
    Look at modern action movies; they're fully capable of portraying little girls as bloodthirsty 42 pound Ghengis Khans.
    M
    Overall I think you are right. The story is robust enough to survive being played out by animated fruits, or digital ants or pandas. Animal Farm was all the more powerful because of the fable like telling.

I agree with the curious experiment of it all, but I wouldn't buy a ticket to watch it, or give it time if it was on TV. Though I might read up the plot summary on Wikipedia and check character summaries on the fan created wikia... maybe, actually no I wouldn't bother doing that.

If we play as a thought experiment game... what would females do...

In a female version... they'd split into those taking female roles and those taking male roles. Those taking male roles would behave exactly like the boys and those taking female roles would behave exactly like tradcons. That of itself would add a level of structural balance, giving a layer of absorbency to the excess of the female hunters. In other words female versions of hunters would be tempered by seeking praise and affirmation from the feminine role females.

To get more fanciful, the drama would settle on the focused characters seeking power, a straight out and out power struggle. Female Ralph would be the lets organise feminist utopia, female Jack would be let the bull dykes have their femme harems based on how much fresh pig meat they can provide. And in the absence of strong characters to compete and create drama, the females in general would huddle into moderate role division and wait to be rescued. Because World War Three thermonuclear destruction or not, ain't no way females will believe no one wants them.
    "...especially when it comes to communication, it can be observed, if it is not a negotiation it's a war."
    Quote Originally Posted by menrppl2 View Post
    Can't live with em, life is great without them.

Blog Entries
    It would be sad to see LOTF as good vs evil, it's about degeneracy to primal state -
    Frankly, I would think it the opposite-- that they could potentially *progress* out of their degenerate state ;-) You know, seeing as how, in order to survive, they would have to learn how to *do actual productive work*, *compromise*, *cooperate*, *plan ahead*, become *self-reliant*-- all things that fragile little SJW types and Feminists seem to have some difficulty with.
    FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
    It's time to call it out for what it is.

The World of Men - Men's Rights / MGTOW / Sites of Interest to Men

http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showt...nterest-to-Men

Overall I think you are right. The story is robust enough to survive being played out by animated fruits, or digital ants or pandas. Animal Farm was all the more powerful because of the fable like telling.
    Yes. That's why, if they simply stick to the book, the story can be told about, through, or using, anyone.
    But then again that would be the most interesting version, I think, because they'd have to portray one group of girls as evil.
    And I can't really see anyone doing that today. Not without a lot of "X made me do it, aren't you sorry for me".
    No, to simply retell it with girls would take a lot of courage, and would actually be some kind of statement.

If we play as a thought experiment game... what would females do...
    That is going back to LOTF as a drama that springs from the character of the participants, again missing the mark.

M

Quote Originally Posted by WontStepUp View Post
    The Lord of the Flies is being remade with all girls.
    Yes. It's called 3rd wave Feminism in the 21st Century.

Men think the Conch is still a thing, while they're being torn apart by pig worshippers.

M

Blog Entries
    Yes. That's why, if they simply stick to the book, the story can be told about, through, or using, anyone.
    But then again that would be the most interesting version, I think, because they'd have to portray one group of girls as evil.
    And I can't really see anyone doing that today. Not without a lot of "X made me do it, aren't you sorry for me".
    No, to simply retell it with girls would take a lot of courage, and would actually be some kind of statement.
    Indeed, and I await with interest reviews and comments appearing on the forum when it's released. I'd have respect for producers that did that.

That is going back to LOTF as a drama that springs from the character of the participants, again missing the mark.

M
    Also agree, that's why I said it as game and play, not analysis or serious comment. Fanciful what if imagining sparked by a literary posed question is also part of things, even if better suited to beered up conversations in pubs. No more meaning than that. LOTF is literature that stands the test of time, and will survive whatever versioning is done. If we reach the point where it can't survive, where the newspeak corrected version eliminates all trace of the original. When mankind's ability to collectively pass it's knowledge and learning forward has gone, we'd not be a species worth any effort to protect, it would be better to yield the space for the rats to evolve and for nature to roll the dice for a new intelligent species.
    Last edited by voidspawn; 09-07-2017 at 12:31 AM.
    "...especially when it comes to communication, it can be observed, if it is not a negotiation it's a war."

that's why I said it as game and play, not analysis or serious comment. Fanciful what if imagining sparked by a literary posed question is also part of things, even if better suited to beered up conversations in pubs. No more meaning than that.
    Oh, well... okay, then (grudgingly) ...THIS time ....

My point was, I guess, that putting folks on an island, be it boys or girls, won't make LOTF happen, so that wouldn' be a LOTF story.
    Putting 30 individual gals on an island may end like this or that, but that is on those 30 individuals, and won't say much about gals
    until you put 30 gals on about 1000 islands, and then table the results. And the same for boys, of course.

LOTF is literature that stands the test of time
    Time will show

and will survive whatever versioning is done
    Interesting. Trying to remember any Great Work Permanently Ruined By Hollywood, but can't think of any atm.
    Lots of bad movie versions, of course, but that's exactly the very opposite, in effect elevating the original.
    (A few movies were 'better' than the original, like " ... Cuckoo's Nest" and "Name of the Rose".)

Anyone ...?

If we reach the point where it can't survive, where the newspeak corrected version eliminates all trace of the original. Well mankind's ability to collectively pass it's knowledge and learning forward has gone, we'd not be a species worth any effort to protect, it would be better to yield the space for the rats to evolve and for nature to roll the dice for a new intelligent species.
    Evil isn't some "other people's brand" that we need to "unite and fight" - that's someone manipulating people into a conflict or war. Evil is a constant impulse we all contain, and which we all have to, well, contain - so look for the fascist in the mirror first; defeat him, and much is won.
    Isn't Charlotteville a LOTF story?

M
    Last edited by Manalysis; 09-06-2017 at 11:30 PM.

- so look for the fascist in the mirror first; defeat him, and much is won.
    ... unless you have the conch

... what would females do...
    first one with the conch would shame-bomb the others until consensus was reached.

then they slowly die recounting the great cat-stories of the past
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
    "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

"What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam

I reckon the problem with Fem-LOTF is that white-male is already Piggy ... and conveniently already dead.

...there isnt really anything left to propel the plot.

in a way, Piggy's glasses will probably end up being the feminist goggles they use to make the film

Im not saying that women cant be optometrists... but Im pretty suspect about where they got the glasses to start that fire
    Last edited by MatrixTransform; 09-06-2017 at 11:47 PM.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
    "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

"What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    I reckon the problem with Fem-LOTF is that white-male is already Piggy ... and conveniently already dead.

...there isnt really anything left to propel the plot.

in a way, Piggy's glasses will probably end up being the feminist goggles they use to make the film

Im not saying that women cant be optometrists... but Im pretty suspect about where they got the glasses to start that fire
    hehe, that reminds of someone in class pointing out that Piggy had the wrong type of eyesight condition for glasses that could focus and light a fire, ergo the whole plot fell apart.