Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help researching - DV Shelter

Looking for help researching - DV Shelter

Well, I've decided that I am going to start building DV Shelters for men. One of my biggest problems right now is lack of information.

So if anyone has information on regulations for DV Shelters either federal or Texas specific it would be really appreciated if you could point me in the right direction.
    Also, if you have any information about dare I hope government programs for DV shelters that would be helpful also.
    Information on non-profits would be helpful also.
    Also, actual male dv victim stories.
    Fund raising ideas, etc.

I've been researching for like a week straight, I'm not in texas where i probably have this information sitting around so some extra fingers clicking on mouses would be extremely helpful. I've actually sent emails to some dv shelters and tried to call them, but yea they don't want competition for business.. even though I'm trying to build something for a group that they do not want to service.

where are you located? and are you able to fund this? or need funding?

edit: i missread. you ARE in texas.

so why not contact paul elam to start this? he might be able to promote you.
    Last edited by TheNarrator; 09-03-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNarrator View Post
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

Yea I'm in Texas, I'm in planning stage trying to get an idea what hoops I'm going to have to jump through right now.. I can fund part of it myself, but what i have in mind is going to be a lot larger then anything i could fund myself... One of the reasons I am asking for information and such is, I'm trying to put together a package that i can take with me while i try to drum up contributions from different sources... I can go in and talk all day about the subject, but people like to see what you are talking about before they will ever consider contributing. I'm pretty much figuring right now that I can build a 40 man facility for right between $200-300k admittedly I don't know if that large of a facility will be needed in a given city, that's something I'll have to figure out.. But if i can get 1 such facility operating with a surplus of income via contributions or other means, slowly building new ones in other cities will be an option. One idea I'm toying with would be a sort of self sustaining one, like build the facility and use some of the funds to start other business whose profits would support the shelter, perhaps employing some of the people staying in them, thus not only giving them shelter but giving them a job and the opportunity to help others that land in the same situation as them. Of course eventually I'll need volunteers to help.

It is something I'm committed to, no matter how long it takes, just need to figure out my battle plan and get a start.

I'll probably try to contact Paul once I have a sound plan in place.
    Last edited by Ironman; 09-04-2017 at 05:20 AM.

i think you really need to look at

A) the demand in any given area you might open
    B) the costs of running
    C) profits (which i think are non existent so not sure how you plan on funding future)
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

A) Yea that's one of the first things I plan on researching once i get back to Texas. I know Dallas already has one, so I'll look at other areas.
    B) Cost I already have some figures on, just based on where I am located, which is probably more expensive then some of the major metro areas.
    C) Well if run off fundraising then future expansion would depend on excess, But I'm looking at one particular idea where I'd just open up an actual business providing services to the public and the profits from that would fund the shelter. Given that both would be run as non-profit organizations the tax benefits would help immensely. However, I'd have huge time demands running both the shelter and the business at the same time. I'm pretty sure i could get volunteers to help run the shelter side of things. But yea, that's where I am at, at this moment.

I already know the business will work, I've put that leg work in as it's something I've been considering doing anyways. Just well when you have a nice comfy job already, you tend to not be so enthusiastic on making a change.
    Last edited by Ironman; 09-04-2017 at 07:04 AM.

i would study how women's shelters are run and learn from them

they dont hold that many women. its smaller scale..i think converting a house is smart.

i would study how women's shelters are run and learn from them

they dont hold that many women. its smaller scale..i think converting a house is smart.
    Well one thing I'm looking at is Oilfield Man camps, basically they've taken a large single wide something like 16x70 and turned it into 4 small apartments with separate showers and bathrooms. Can pick those up fairly cheap now. I saw a company with about 20 of them for sale. Was talking to a friend and he said he could move them for me for the cost of fuel.

Anyways been banging my head against the wall on finding any useful information for 12 hours now, time for a break. This is actually frustrating, been trying to find people who have shared their stories in detail in the U.S. in order to build a presentation so I can show it is happening here. I'm finding stuff in the U.K. and Australia and Jamaica but not much here, it's like either men here in the U.S. are not telling their stories or it's getting censored somehow.
    Last edited by Ironman; 09-04-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: addition

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    Well one thing I'm looking at is Oilfield Man camps, basically they've taken a large single wide something like 16x70 and turned it into 4 small apartments with separate showers and bathrooms. Can pick those up fairly cheap now. I saw a company with about 20 of them for sale. Was talking to a friend and he said he could move them for me for the cost of fuel.

Anyways been banging my head against the wall on finding any useful information for 12 hours now, time for a break. This is actually frustrating, been trying to find people who have shared their stories in detail in the U.S. in order to build a presentation so I can show it is happening here. I'm finding stuff in the U.K. and Australia and Jamaica but not much here, it's like either men here in the U.S. are not telling their stories or it's getting censored somehow.
    It's not an easy thing for any man to come forward about. Just the simple stigma of being abused or bullied by anyone is hard for a man to open up about, when it's an intimate partner just makes the hard near impossible. Gay support groups might have better methods and information with more experience of dealing with IPV and DV. There's been a lot of harm done by all who force distance between gay men and straight men. Even if that isn't the demographic to be served homosexual men's groups might be more locally present and willing to share information. I think gay men when not under the influence of the fear and hate agenda of feminists, would be more inclined to have compassionate views towards all men. Many gay men have personal stories of abusive mothers.

Canadian Association For Equality: http://equalitycanada.com

Have been collecting information, and I think they connect into the US and might be able to put information your way, good to contact for general advice.

Janice Fiamengo is another good potential source, I don't know how she's contacted but she has facebook and twitter, http://en.wikimannia.org/Janice_Fiamengo and does videos for Studio Brule on youtube.

She's been collecting men's stories for some time, and has built up a collections she plans to publish. But since she's primarily does this for men's rights activism and her profession is English Literature professor, I would imagine she would give permission for you to use material for developing a men's shelter. I don't know when she plans to publish, but she would collect from a larger audience than just Canada. She'd also collect material using professional academic standards.

Also check out Lara Stemple's research, she's done extensive work on female perpetration of violent and sexual abuse. Very high quality research and non partisan.
    https://www.law.ucla.edu/faculty/fac...lara-stemple/#!
    Last edited by voidspawn; 09-04-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    "...especially when it comes to communication, it can be observed, if it is not a negotiation it's a war."
    Quote Originally Posted by menrppl2 View Post
    Can't live with em, life is great without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post

but if your demand isnt this big it will be huge for nothing is my point.

but if your demand isnt this big it will be huge for nothing is my point.
    Never said i wanted to get all of them =p