Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
OK... if I understood this right, the point of the electoral college is to allow blacks to vote but making sure they don't actually get to make any decision about the leadership?
I'm not an expert on he US constitution and its history, but as far as I understand the quote, Madison is saying that there are more voters in the north, because so much of the population in the south were negros who didn't have a vote, and that therefore the idea of being ruled by a simple majority of votes was unpopular in the south, because they would always be outvoted by the north.

Getting the south to go along required some kind of compromise between "equal state representation" (as in the present US Senate), which gives small states the same powers and rights as big ones, and a "proportional state representation" (as in the present US House of representatives), which favours big states with high populations over small states with lower populations.

The realities of politics started to change rapidly, though, within a few decades, e.g. with the introduction of political parties; and the political landscape has been changing ever since, while the map has remained unchanged. There is much to say about the US constitution, but present day USA has little in common with what is described in it.

M