Thread: Bots?

Bots?

Hi,

seeking comfort in numbers, I followed Voidspawn's advice to heed the number of lurkers.
    To my surprise, there was an unusual number of members, most with female-ish names.
    I checked three of them, and they had all joined yesterday, 11. of September.
    Looking into the "About me" section of their profiles, all the homepages seemed to be (more or less random) blogs from Poland.
    Is some "increase your home page hits" algorithm sending random membership applications ...?

M

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    Hi,

seeking comfort in numbers, I followed Voidspawn's advice to heed the number of lurkers.
    To my surprise, there was an unusual number of members, most with female-ish names.
    I checked three of them, and they had all joined yesterday, 11. of September.
    Looking into the "About me" section of their profiles, all the homepages seemed to be (more or less random) blogs from Poland.
    Is some "increase your home page hits" algorithm sending random membership applications ...?

M
    Spam bots are constant problem for forums and membership sites. And they sign up to spam comments or entries to add links onto a site. This often isn't for humans to click on, but an SEO strategy that is sold by SEO firms, based on raising 'link juice'. Google ranks use links to a site as part of the data for rankings. Some SEO companies (though most likely just individuals) then use these spam bots to get google ranks for whatever wanted keyword they've been paid to. It can cause a temporary but dramatic and quick rise in google rankings. It's pretty scummy business, and doesn't do their clients any good. There is another side to this business too which is domain selling. Domain names resell on the basis of their search ranking and visibility. So a form of business is registering pretty useless domain names, raising its ranks using bots (they are too lazy to offer interesting content), then when the value goes up, sell it. There is a market for anything it looks, no matter how crap, if it can hold a price for any length of time, and that price can be manipulated boom it's a business. Lovely jubbly capitalism heh?
    "...especially when it comes to communication, it can be observed, if it is not a negotiation it's a war."
    Quote Originally Posted by menrppl2 View Post
    Can't live with em, life is great without them.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspawn View Post
    Spam bots are constant problem for forums and membership sites. And they sign up to spam comments or entries to add links onto a site. This often isn't for humans to click on, but an SEO strategy that is sold by SEO firms, based on raising 'link juice'. Google ranks use links to a site as part of the data for rankings. Some SEO companies (though most likely just individuals) then use these spam bots to get google ranks for whatever wanted keyword they've been paid to. It can cause a temporary but dramatic and quick rise in google rankings. It's pretty scummy business, and doesn't do their clients any good. There is another side to this business too which is domain selling. Domain names resell on the basis of their search ranking and visibility. So a form of business is registering pretty useless domain names, raising its ranks using bots (they are too lazy to offer interesting content), then when the value goes up, sell it. There is a market for anything it looks, no matter how crap, if it can hold a price for any length of time, and that price can be manipulated boom it's a business. Lovely jubbly capitalism heh?
    Thank you for your constant efforts to contribute to my education
    Yeah, sometimes the world just seems like the weirdest place there is.

M

I just got on yesterday and I needed assistance. It was pure fucking hell to get on here. I can't see where you would have a problem. I have a lot to learn within this app and maybe the first thing learned is that using a tablette here is a fucking horror.