Thread: Why Girls Leave STEM - And What You Can Do About It

Why Girls Leave STEM - And What You Can Do About It

So, feminism is now obsessed with increasing the number of vaginas at NASA... they found a problem and now are goign to tell us what the solution is...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b076eaaae270c2

The importance of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) to the success of children is undeniable. Yet, women are leaving STEM in droves. Research published by the National Bureau of Economic Research, found that it is not one sole factor that turns women away from STEM, but rather a combination of factors.
    Well at least didn't say it is because patriarchy and misogyny... or maybe it says that latter on...

1. Elementary school. Young women aren’t lost yet. They need to find STEM in the first place.

· According to Dr. Burdick, parents and teachers can spark interest in STEM fields early to build a pipeline of future STEM professionals. While science and math are part of typical elementary school curricula, technology and engineering are less likely to be addressed in-depth at this age. Yet, familiarizing young women with the words science, technology, engineering, and math simply by saying them can have an impact.

· Revealing to students that STEM is all around them in daily life from the green grass to cell phones to roads to everything we buy at stores – can generate curiosity and a desire to know the how and why of our world and encourage children to learn more.
    That is correct... the solution of the perceived problem is to say the word "science" around girls... and the more they hear the word the better they get at is...

2. Middle school. The untrue notions that girls can’t do math, that there are no “cool” women in science, there are no women in engineering, etc., start creeping into consciousness. Outreach learning opportunities exist to combat these false notions, but young women, their teachers, and their families may need help finding them.
    There is not cool no one in mathematics... deals with it...

· In middle school, parents and teachers can maintain the interest in STEM sparked in elementary school, and promote new entrants in STEM fields, by helping young women identify educational outreach activities targeting middle school girls. There are many community groups (like Girl Scouts) and local college/university STEM departments and professional groups (such as the American Association of University Women) that have developed programs to specifically reach middle schoolers. Although fewer in number than programs targeting high school women, they do exist. A phone call or email to local chapters of the Girl Scouts, the AAUW, or diversity/multicultural activities offices at local colleges or universities can provide leads.
    Yes, girl scouts just promised they will lead 2.5 million girls into STEM... will they deliver? I don't know, they never did before...

Activities using household materials (i.e., free or low cost activities) targeting middle schoolers are widely available on the internet and can help girls stay interested in STEM activities at home. Not sure where to start? Do a search on “Big Hero 6” and “STEM” or ask girls to do their own research to find STEM projects. Another option is Project Mc2 featuring four popular female science wizzes. Check out their “Chemistry Word Game” and Magic Tie Die Experiment.
    Out of curiosity I checked the giving Project Mc2 link... I find myself conflicting over the website:
    https://projectmc2.mgae.com/

First science project they offer is to make your own perfume... hardly a chemistry project... the next one is to have a purse with a tablet on the side...

3. High school. Those pervasive notions from middle school that STEM isn’t cool may further discourage young women from preparing for careers in STEM. Many educational outreach programs are targeted towards high school women, developed specifically to recruit them and maintain interest in STEM fields.
    All I am reading so far is that STEM is not cool and they are expending a lot of resources to keep girls in it...

Outreach program providers, like the ones mentioned above, are well-equipped to advise high school women about steps to take for careers in STEM, dispel myths about women in STEM, and how to navigate potential obstacles they will face because of their gender.

· High School girls and start preparing for careers in STEM by participating in these outreach programs, identifying vocational programs, and learning about college majors will allow them to actualize their futures.

· Teachers, families, and even alumni from the same high school can all serve as information providers, sources of encouragement, and early mentors for young women thinking about careers in STEM fields.
    So basically the problem is that maths is not cool?

Here are some other things than can help get, and keep, girls interested in STEM. The also make great holiday gifts that will help give your girl a leg up!
    OK... lest see those other suggestions...

Circuit Cubes: Bright Lights, Smart Art, and Whacky Wheels themed kits involve electronic building blocks that bring LEGOs and other toys to life, while teaching kids the fundamentals of STEM and circuitry. The founder and CEO of Circuit Cubes, Nate McDonald, is a former middle school robotics educator who is too familiar with the imbalance of girls in STEM subjects and has spent years working on a solution. During his tenor, he established two all-girls FIRST LEGO League (FLL) robotics teams that were an overwhelming success. Several of those girls are now applying for engineering degrees and were the only girls in their engineering classes.
    First of it is not "LEGOs".... it is LEGO.

The toy in question seams OK... basically there is 3 blocks, a battery one, a motor one and a light one... There is other sets for LEGO that offer this things, those would be my first options... still no bad...

Goldie Blox: Debbie Sterling founded Goldie Blox five years ago to inspire young girls as the face of the Maker generation, starting with toy kits in pink and purple designed just for girls. Now Sterling has added books to the popular Goldie Blox line so girls can get to know Goldie a little better. Goldie Blox Ruins Rules the School and Goldie Blox and the Three Dares are two books in a new series based on Goldie Blox, the world’s first girl engineer character. Penned by children’s book author Stacy McAnulty, a mechanical engineer herself, the series brings Goldie to life through rich, educational and hilarious stories. Each chapter book will chronicle her passion for inventing, her friends, and their world.
    Looks like the regular building kits that boys have at the age of 5... but this are different... this are designed for girls... that is why they are pink and purple...

Wonder Workshop: These CleverBots are one of Bill and Melinda Gates’ favorites for teaching kids STEM skills early on. Cue lets children choose their own avatar, including the pink Zest, and has been described as “a comedian in a robot’s body.” Cue had an advanced emotive artificial intelligence system and interacts with children to encourage them to explore more advanced concepts. Dot is for kids aged six and older and the Dot Creativity Kit allows kids to dress their robots up and comes with 10 costumes, stickers, a constructible Lava Lamp, and dozens of challenges and activities to get kids coding.
    I am starting to think there is actually an opening in the marketplace for toys that are STEM related...

SmartGurlz: SmartGurlz looks like typical dolls, but they are really self-balancing robots and action dolls that ride cute pink mopeds. These girls like art and math; chemistry and trendy fashion; as well as hiking and making apps. Girls code the dolls to move around the house and even make small deliveries.
    This is not even a STEM toy, this literally is a toy that was invented with not plan or purpose, then they try to figure out a marketing strategy to sell it out, and because STEM is hot right now, that is what they went for...

Ok, I am not reviewing any more of this toys... I have better things to do...

To wrap this up... math is not cool, and we need to make it pink and purple so girls maybe like it...

Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    So, feminism is now obsessed with increasing the number of vaginas at NASA... they found a problem and now are goign to tell us what the solution is...
    O Tireless One ... nobody mentions the disparity among doctors, psychologists ... perhaps also dentists? ... and other science based professions.
    They really won't give up until they have the whole cake, and the bakery, too.

... math is not cool, and we need to make it pink and purple so girls maybe like it...
    Like with cell phones ... took off among women when they brought out the first one that was not black, but pink (or actually red, IIRC, which I don't).

M

Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    O Tireless One ... nobody mentions the disparity among doctors, psychologists ... perhaps also dentists? ... and other science based professions.
    They really won't give up until they have the whole cake, and the bakery, too.
    Well, they only see the status and the prizes, they don't see all the hardwork put into getting to that point...

Like with cell phones ... took off among women when they brought out the first one that was not black, but pink (or actually red, IIRC, which I don't).

M
    So... painting stuff pink actually works?

The correct solution is to do absolutely nothing. If dearies can't cut the mustard, let them eat cake.

It is not the government's job to use taxpayer resources to change what people want to do, to what the government wants them to do.

But even when they CAN cut the mustard, why would they?

I'm in my early 50's now. Looking around my cohort of similar age friends is fascinating.

If you are a woman working in STEM it generally means you went to University, surrounded by smart young men with good earning potential. Surprise surprise, this gives a good pool of potential husbands.

By and large, the most common outcome among my circle of friends is that the woman has a perfectly well developed career, often with very good earning potential, but they have quite happily quit or gone part time while hubby works on. (On the plus side, divorce is unheard of in my social group, but lazy cunts are plentiful).

TBH, most of them are a living embodiment of the view point that you don't get the same ROI by spending tax payers money on training women for STEM fields. It also explains the so called 'pay gap' in totality.

Quote Originally Posted by polite_disagreement View Post
    The correct solution is to do absolutely nothing. If dearies can't cut the mustard, let them eat cake.

It is not the government's job to use taxpayer resources to change what people want to do, to what the government wants them to do.
    Here another interesting article... the Congress channel money that was meant to help low income young graduates in STEM to network at the NASA, giving an opportunity to those graduates... now the money is going to be used to take school girls in trips to the NASA and hope that they ever take a career in any of those fields...

https://signalscv.com/2017/11/congre...sue-stem-jobs/

The bill, introduced Monday, has been dubbed the Women in Aerospace Education Act and aims to create more STEM participation for girls K-12.
    Currently, these grants pay for students who go on to teach in rural or low-income school districts after getting a STEM degree.
    “We simply cannot meet our aerospace workforce needs unless we empower and equip more young women to enter this exciting field,” Esty said in a statement.