Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gets my Goat!

Quote Originally Posted by Manalysis View Post
    I know you make enemies like a craftsman, and I do in fact admire each of your individual oeuvres; but even you should know that your jokes don't go over well with _anyone_ here. Well, with a few exceptions.
    I don't think you can make real enemies through the internet... If anything some people I disagree with, more often than usual.

Agreed; badly chosen. That in itself doesn't invalidate any points anyone might make, though.
    When the point was sustained mostly by the examples.... yeah kind of invalidate the point...

Yes. Still, it is also a legel-political issue. Science may support a choice on an issue, and it is good if it does; but it has to be _our_ choice.

M
    Maybe I went a little bit emotional there... calling psychoanalysis... science... is not my proudest moment... LOL.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    Probably I expressed it in a confusing way... Going to try again...

The fat that a minor can be try as an adult for some crimes does not mean that a minor can consent... I remember seeing laws worded for this specific situation, I guess someone tried it?
    Why are you repeating to me something you already said that I already pretty much agreed with. Let's recap:

Quote Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
    The law differentiates different amount of responsibility for different offenses committed by adolescents. We often try a 14 year old as a juvenile for petty offenses, but as an adult for something serious like murder. We're not going to try adults as juveniles because their crimes are against juveniles. It's entirely appropriate for adults to be tried as adults at all times barring some kind of serious mental deficiency. Nobody is suggesting that there should be some loophole for adult behavior towards minors. But, we do in some special circumstances essentially treat adults as having less than 100% agency.
    Also:

And even then it should be possible to discuss agency and responsibility for adolescents while simultaneously having a value system that condemns adults for certain ways of interacting (i.e. sex) with those adolescents.
    I don't understand what you're arguing against. I've stated at least twice that adolescents having agency doesn't negate the actions of adults toward them. I'm not sure how I can make it any more clear than that.

Well, I don't know... I guess somewhere they have to put the mark that separates adult form child... It looks like thy go for anywhere between 16 to 21?... I don't make laws and I don't enforce them neither...
    Of course. But that doesn't negate any discussion on how much agency / responsibility adolescents have as they approach that line. It's clearly not that people are 0% responsible for anything that they do until they cross then line and then become instantly 100% responsible. It doesn't work that way. As evidenced by the way the law is applied

The whole moral argument totally escapes me, I don't waste time in that.
    Which is probably why you elevate "law" as though it's moral in it's own right. It saves you from having to consider any of the principles or arguments involved.

Yup, I don't see anything inspiring in this...
    Well, then I'll just leave you to reflect on the following quote:

"...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

Which is probably why you elevate "law" as though it's moral in it's own right. It saves you from having to consider any of the principles or arguments involved.
    I think there is a moral element on the law... but in general terms i agree with this...

I am a moral relativist... so for me there is nothing truly good or truly bad... though I am not an antisocial, I understand that for me to live in this society I should obey their laws... I also accept it that I don't understand the reasons behind many laws out there, but never the less i still obey them.

THe part that you refer too as the philosophical argument, in my case is mostly a casual curiosity, nobody really care what my opinion is about pretty much anythign... so what are my opinions on the law and society and... everything... are pretty muse useful for online forums, for everything else... nothing.

Well, then I'll just leave you to reflect on the following quote:

Serves to show the power of good propaganda... any piece of trash, nonsense "wisdom" looks better if presented in the appropriate format...

Last edited by simpleman; 12-02-2017 at 03:53 AM.

By the way... I posted a video, few days ago... I can't find it now...
    Last edited by simpleman; 12-02-2017 at 03:53 AM.

By the way... I posted a video, few days ago... I can't find it now...
    http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showt...ings-and-stuff ?

M

Then there are the pragmatists!
    ethikē aretē--phronesis--eudaimonia
    virtue of character--practical/ethical wisdom--human flourishing

It is not a battle to win but an attitude to share.
    AVFM Mission Statement