Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toronto

Toronto

Men lectures at UFT

A series of Male topic lectures are being hosted at University of Toronto by notable male academics-- including Dr Warren Farrell who will be giving a talk on Nov 16, 2012 -- topic is The Boy Crisis.

-- you can sign up here:

http://www.meetup.com/The-Toronto-Men-s-Issues-Meetup-Group/

RE: Toronto

Great heads up pbw.
    Many Thanks.
    Dan

This event is today at the UFT: Men Rights for Equality take on SlutWalk Advocates. Should be interesting.

Canadian Association for Equality Advisor Heidi Nabert will represent CAFE at Women Out Loud

can anyone get video of the event ??? to repost on Youtube??

No, the feminist speaker insisted no cameras. She was pretty radical. More men presence would have been good. More talks are coming -- so stay tuned and come out to them if in TO.

Next one in Oct 19 -- at UFT. Just go to the above link -- and get all the info for future events too.

Quote Originally Posted by pbw
    No, the feminist speaker insisted no cameras. She was pretty radical. More men presence would have been good. More talks are coming -- so stay tuned and come out to them if in TO.
    You say she was radical. Was she actually opposed to men seeking equality ?

She was pretty bold and sharp intellectually, and it seemed the few men there were too fearful to question her. Since it was my first feminist event, I decided to keep quiet and not say anything in case I may have gotten targeted. As far as Equality -- it is the main platform for the feminists -- so if you ask about men seeking equality, they usually do not take you serious and begin to cite all the male privliges that have and continue to exist. The feminists are pretty skilled in debating and come up with all kind of statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by pbw

Next one in Oct 19 -- at UFT. Just go to the above link -- and get all the info for future events too.
    I would very much like to get involved with some actual activism here in Toronto, but I cannot become a member of that Meetup group at this time.

One of the functions of the meetup website allows others to see what groups you are a member of, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to disable that function.
    I belong to another meetup group that, in our charter is inclusive to all regardless of gender, race orientation etc. (I realize that the MRM is not a "hate group" or anything, but many would not see it that way, as we well know)
    This would not, in itself be a problem for me, however I am currently the club president, which makes it a little, um... sticky.

I can see the meetups posted, and will take a look every so often, but in case I miss something, could someone from that group post something here when a planned event is to take place?
    Perhaps I could even get you to add me as your +1 when RSVPing to an event that I am able to attend?

You do not have to sign up. Lot of other persons attend --it is the UFT after all. Also there is a way to stop others from seeing what meet up groups you belong to - go the help section. Lastly times are changing - I find when you tell others you are a MRA or interested in men issues, others respect you and become interested in your views.