Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good TV show series with competent male role models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good TV show series with competent male role models?

As the title says, is there any good TV shows out there with competent male role models?

As I'm typing this the only show that comes to mind is "Arrow" by DC Comics. (In fact most things made by DC has competent or good men.)

Any recommendations where the man isn't a clumsy idiot, or at least competent would be nice. I'm just tired of seeing the cliche "man being a idiot/perv/clumsy/fat/overly macho man". (Overly macho to the point of ridiculousness)

I am looking for action and something that's fairly new. Maybe movies, but I'd rather have a TV series. It could be live action, cartoon, or an even an anime.

The farther from Ray Barone or Peter Griffen type characters the better.
    Feminism: Making men perpetual trouble makers and making women perpetual victims - it hurts everyone.
    Feminism isn't about a "sisterhood", it's about victimhood.

Burn Notice, The Walking Dead, Escape from New York, Dirty Harry (any Clint Eastwood movie), Heat, Man vs Wild, Game of Thrones, and 24.

Comment

Thanks for the super fast response, I keep hearing good things about the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. I keep procrastinating to watch Game of Thrones, maybe I'll finally cave.
      Feminism: Making men perpetual trouble makers and making women perpetual victims - it hurts everyone.

Comment

On the animation side, the Adventures of Tintin is pretty good.

I'd say S-CRY-ed's pretty fair to it's male characters as is Jojo' Bizarre Adventure

Comment

I Love Lucy.

It's the only show I've ever seen where the typical husband/wife roles are reversed, where the wife is the bumbling idiot and the husband is the competent one who has to clean up after his spouse's messes.

Comment

@ Super Ginrai I have s-CRY-ed on DVD, I haven't watched that show in forever, but it was pretty kick ass. I might just rewatch it because it's been a good amount of years. I'll look into Jojo' Bizarre Adventure.

@ Smiles, which is interesting since "I Love Lucy" is one of the greatest sitcoms of all time, as far as ratings/popularity go.

Comment

Hannibal, Golgo 13, Big O, Luther.

Comment

I like Bob's Burgers. Bob's portrayed as competent and hardworking, and he's usually the only one in the family with the common sense to object to stupid ideas that everyone else is pushing for. He's also the one who reins his wild kids in, with varying degrees of success.

It's not perfect, but I'd say it does a good job of creating characters, rather than the (usually misandric) caricatures you see in most programming.
                Disillusionment: Another word for reality.

Comment

I like Agents of Shield. Besides filling my nerdy desires, their [male] leader Coleson is shown to be very competent and compassionate, but still tough and strong. Very unlike the stereotypical (to feminists) male. Ward's a bit closer to their idea of a male though. But he always felt awkward as a character anyway and isn't the leader and even said a few times that he doesn't want people looking up to him.
                  "Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein
                  sigpic
                  "Freedom of speech is a principal pillar of a free government; when this support is taken away, the constitution of a free society is dissolved, and tyranny is erected on its ruins." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by The Wanderer View Post
                    Burn Notice, The Walking Dead, Escape from New York, Dirty Harry (any Clint Eastwood movie), Heat, Man vs Wild, Game of Thrones, and 24.
                    No way, dunno, dunno, absolutely not, no, meh, dunno, absolutely not.

Jack Bauer is the epitome of the lobotomized aggressive male - he is impulsive, amoral, and an international war criminal. His character is a conditioned fighting dog set out to make repugnant behavior seem honorable.
                    "Women are like that they dont acquire knowledge of people we are for that they are just born with a practical fertility of suspicion that makes a crop every so often and usually right they have an affinity for evil for supplying whatever the evil lacks in itself for drawing it about them instinctively as you do bed-clothing in slumber fertilising the mind for it until the evil has served its purpose whether it ever existed or no" - William Faulkner

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      I like Agents of Shield. Besides filling my nerdy desires, their [male] leader Coleson is shown to be very competent and compassionate, but still tough and strong. Very unlike the stereotypical (to feminists) male. Ward's a bit closer to their idea of a male though. But he always felt awkward as a character anyway and isn't the leader and even said a few times that he doesn't want people looking up to him.
                      I said Angel isn't misandristic earlier - you'll get some major disagreement from people on these boards over Joss Whedon. I haven't watched "Shield" though.
                      "Women are like that they dont acquire knowledge of people we are for that they are just born with a practical fertility of suspicion that makes a crop every so often and usually right they have an affinity for evil for supplying whatever the evil lacks in itself for drawing it about them instinctively as you do bed-clothing in slumber fertilising the mind for it until the evil has served its purpose whether it ever existed or no" - William Faulkner

Comment

Originally posted by Androgen View Post

Jack Bauer is the epitome of the lobotomized aggressive male - he is impulsive, amoral, and an international war criminal. His character is a conditioned fighting dog set out to make repugnant behavior seem honorable.

care to explain your problems with Dirty Harry and Heat?

Comment

Originally posted by Androgen View Post

Lol, I do catch your drift on Jack Bauer, but other than that. Why so serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            No, just no. Agents of shield is fucking filled with Feminist clap trap.

Comment

1. Naruto
                              2. Naruto Shippuden
                              3. Bleach
                              4. Fullmetal Alchmist brotherhood

Comment

Working...
                              X