Feminism and the Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feminism and the Movies

Feminists are getting cross about the role of women in films. Geena Davis had a survey done which found that men get twice the time on screen as women. That upset her more than a little, but she's silent, as are all feminists, on the fact that the depiction of violence in mainstream films, including family films, has always been overwhelmingly against men. Initially by men, as in the bar room brawls that Hollywood produced for years, but increasingly it's women being shown to commit violence against men on film, and tv, as in Kick-Ass, Buffy, Xena etc. And I can't resist pointing out that in the action film Geena stared in, The Long Kiss Goodnight, all the CIA agents her character killed were men, meaning that work was given to many actors but none to any actresses. Whatdya got to say to that Geena? And if a film was made showing the CIA in a heroic role, with all the agents being male, Geena and her feminist tribe would have been screaming that women were being made invisible.
    It's always irritated me that the anti-male bias of action films is never discussed. Film reviewers, politicians and others don't say they agree or disagree with the mass slaughter of men being presented as entertainment, it's totally ignored.
    But not by myself. For me a crunch moment was when I read of feminists crying with joy when they saw the scenes in Wonder Woman where the Amazons and WW off men by the dozen. So I thought I'd start a thread about how feminists see violence against men in films, especially when the violence is committed by women. I'll be adding to the thread regularly, feel free to join in. I'll begin with the most repulsive piece I've found so far.
    Sarah Ditum writes for the Guardian and New Statesman, and appears on tv as a media commentator. In the NS, https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/film/2017/02/prevenge-world-male-violence-seeing-monstrous-women-thrill
    she wrote an article containing these thoughts,

"The best thing you’ll see in the cinema this year is a big man called DJ Dan looking down in horror as he realises that the thing slithering down his leg and onto his living room floor is his testicle, unleashed from its ballsack by the knife held by heavily pregnant Ruth (played by Alice Lowe). Or, if the death-by-castration of DJ Dan – an entirely appropriate response to his pick-up patter about the easiness of “fat birds” – doesn’t grab you, maybe one of the other grisly highlights of Lowe’s maternity-slasher movie Prevenge will."

According to her a man with a bad chat up line deserves to be castrated. Here's some more from her sick mind,

"Contemplating all kinds of fictional female violence gives me a deep and holy satisfaction. After the US presidential election result, there was a time when the only thing getting me through the day was thinking about Naomi Alderman’s novel
    The Power, and imagining what I would do if nature handed me the ability to deliver electric shocks that the book gives to women: what I’d do, it turns out, is make a list of men I blame for Trump and go around discharging volts into them."

On her blog,
    https://sarahditum.com/ she gives her e-mail address, [email protected].
    So if you'd like to let her know what you think of her please do so, I will be mailing her tomorrow.

I've just sent the following e-mail to Ms Ditum, If she replies I'll let you know.

Hello Sarah,

I saw your article in the New Statesman recently,

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/film/2017/02/prevenge-world-male-violence-seeing-monstrous-women-thrill

I don't know why you take such pleasure in a film with such gruesome brutality against a man, but you're not alone, as I see many women cried with joy at the scenes in Wonder Woman showing her or the Amazons killing men.

Feminists say negative portrayals of women in film and tv influence attitudes, and I agree. I believe and hope that is changing for the better. But it's not just women who've been portrayed negatively, as since the birth of cinema men have bee cannon fodder, from the bar room brawls of westerns to modern day action films. These also influence attitudes as violence against men is presented as entertainment. So I've created a story of a female crime fighter who takes down a gang of female villains, violently. Not that violently as there are no deaths. An illustrated version of this tale will be completed soon, and there's a blog about it here,

http://goodgirlsvbadgirls.blogspot.co.uk

To any who are shocked by my story I say this. Are you shocked by the films in which men are killed? If any accuse me of hating women I say this. Do Patty Jenkins, Lucy Lawless, Cynthia Rothrock etc hate men? It's my hope that those who read my tale will ask themselves if violence should ever be presented as entertainment. And you may be wondering why I've contacted yourself.
    It's because I thought this may interest you.

Comment

Oh, if you think that is something, here is an "art film" by some mangina.

Comment

I think the Misandrists is a spoof of feminism.Even so, the film makers had to use violence against men to make their point. If the plot had shown men opposing these harpies with violence they'd have been accused of being woman haters and the film would never have been shown.

Comment

Many feminists have praised the Wonder Woman movie as empowering for women. This is what a lady called Olivia Truffaut-Wong thought of it,

"Let me just say that, at the risk of being accused of misandry by insecure men, watching an army of women completely destroy a male army is just the best. Normally in superhero films, or war films for that matter, there might be one or two women in the fight, but not this time. Here, it's a real battle of the sexes, and the men don't stand a chance."

I mailed her 2 weeks ago, saying this,

"At the risk of being accused by insecure women, I'm writing a tale of women being violently destroyed, and publishing it on Smashwords, is just the best!
          Drawing pictures of women being beaten up is just the best! As you approve of men being killed in Wonder Woman I'm sure you'll agree that my story, where women are on the receiving end of violence, is of great service to gender equality in the media"

Naturally, she hasn't replied. Feminists rarely debate with those of us who aren't of their faith..

Comment

more women in board rooms and movies just means more whinging in board rooms and movies
            "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
            "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

"What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam

Comment

Of the many instants of anti-male bias in society, dispose-ability of male life is among the most important. Men fight wars and do the dangerous jobs, while news reports of terrorist acts emphasise that women were among the victims, (not merely men!) MRA’s recognise this, but public debate on gender inequality ignores it.

The comics we read as children show heroes and heroines beating up men, same in films and tv, in westerns, detective dramas, James Bond, Bruce Lee, Cynthia Rothrock and so on. And now we see many female characters killing men, like Xena, Agent Carter, Wonder Woman and more. Even in circumstances where you’d expect characters who are killed or beaten to be women, they are almost always men.

This presentation of violence against men, drip fed into all of us from childhood, reinforces the notion that male lives are of less value than women’s, yet feminists and media commentators never mention it. A crunch, for me, was the Wonder Woman movie, especially how thousands of feminists said they cried with joy when they saw WW and the Amazons killing men, and took their daughters to see the film, to ‘empower’ them. Patty Jenkins appeared on tv shows, saying the film was a feminist triumph, and interviewers blithely allowed her to waffle on. Not one said, ‘how is a film of women killing men promoting gender inequality?’

It’s time this aspect of gender inequality was debated, so I’ve started a web site for that purpose, here,

https://sites.google.com/view/sexisminmovies/home

It’s not great, so I’ think I’ll have to upgrade to another, better site, unless anyone here can guide me on how to make a good site on Google Sites, particularly how to allow comments and make a toc.

Personally I believe this is one of the most important issues we should address, as the low value of men is being driven into the subconscious of men and women, boys and girls, daily, by our popular culture. We won’t change the low value society puts on our lives solely by talking amongst ourselves, we have to reach out to the public, which is what I’m attempting.You’ll see that my site has a link to a product I’m selling, but I’m not trying to plug that here. I’m hoping that the story and pictures I created will take this message to those who’ve never thought of how gender discrimination can work against men, and I’ve had some feedback that it has that effect. So let’s screw Wonder Woman, metaphorically speaking of course!

Comment

The feminist assault on men in the media continues apace. Pheobie Waller-Bridge scripted a feminist tv show called Fleabag, which has women committing violence on men, and in a Guardian interview said, and I quote,

I think people are slightly exhausted by seeing women being brutalised on screen,” she told the BBC’s Andrew Marr show on Sunday. “We’re being allowed to see women on slabs the whole time and being beaten up, and in some ways that’s important to see because it shows the brutality against women.

Seeing women being violent, the flipside of that is refreshing and oddly empowering,” she added.

I wrote to the Guardian to point out that from the beginning of film and tv far more violence has been depicted against men than women, and how obvious it is, Naturally my letter wasn't printed, even though that paper has printed several letters by myself on other subjects.

A film called 'A Vigilante' has just been released, the story of which is a woman who takes violent revenge on men who've abused women. Fair enough, you may say, but we know that domestic violence is not the sole preserve of men. So does this movie feature an abusive woman? It does, but naturally she's not subjected to the violence that the men are. This is the feminist concept of gender equality in the media! Film review is here,
                https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...abuse#comments

Comment

Working...
                X