Pro Male Video Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Male Video Games

Let me get this thread started with one of my all time favorite series: Saints Row. I picked up the second game on a whim after being disappointed in GTA IV and wanting to try something similar. I wasn't expecting much since it seemed to be a budget title GTA clone... only to get completely blown away by the levels of freedom and customization allowed in the game. After beating the second game I quickly moved onto the rest of the titles in the series and now own every game that has come out.

Let me explain a bit why I find this game so good and tell you a little more about it. You begin the very first game as a nameless man walking down the street when an outburst of gang violence nearly kills you. After being saved by a new gang calling themselves the Third Street Saints you join their crew and aid their mission of cleaning up the city by eliminating all of the other gangs. Unfortunately, things don't go quite as planned and the second game sees the player character waking up from a coma spanning years since the end of the first game. From here the player has a better defined personally along with the ability to talk and lead the Saints as their new boss... though what they say and how they look are up to you.

The games each have similar gameplay where the main objective is to take over the city and spread the Saints influence though each new title shakes up the gameplay quite a bit. Saints Row 2 is still the best game in my opinion, but every title in the series keeps all of the strong points. The games are all wide open sandboxes where the player is free to do missions or activities or just goof off any way they want. This brings me to what is probably the best feature of Saints Row: its customization options. The player character is completely customizable with several gender, race, body type, hair, voice, tattoo, clothing and piercing options all available and easily changed at any time for the player's convenience. It doesn't matter if you want to play as a gangster, a clown or even yourself since all of the options are cheap to buy and available to anyone and everyone. You can put a man in a dress, give a young woman a deep male voice or even play as some kind of super villain if you want to. To say nothing of all of the different vehicles you can pimp out at the local car shop, from limos and golf carts to APCs and helicopters Saints Row has a little bit of everything.

The city (especially in the second game) is highly detailed as well and several safehouses (dubbed "cribs") can be found all over the map. There is always a lot to do and the first two games even have a cutscene replay feature if the player just wants to view all of their completed missions through the eyes of a hot dog suit or barbarian warrior outfit. The game isn't as high tech as GTA and not quite as serious (mostly in the later games) though with all of the fun content each game has on offer its hard to notice. Even the weakest game in the series has redeeming features and its own special attitude and atmosphere. Of course, the one thing that made me really fall in love with this series was that as far as most modern games go it has almost no sexism to speak of.

Each game has both men and women at varying levels of power with both men and women appearing as leaders, lieutenants and lowly gang members under the command of the player and their enemies. The game is mostly focused on criminals, but at no point is one gender favored over the other. The women fight, bleed and die right alongside the men and are just as brave and willing to take on powerful foes as they are. There are a few characters who are portrayed as pathetic or losers, but its a pretty even split between both genders. So if you like open world games and don't mind playing a villain I highly recommend trying out the Saints Row series. I haven't played many games with the level of fairness that this series has.

Originally posted by Midnightundead31 View Post
    Let me get this thread started with one of my all time favorite series: Saints Row.
    Fail - complete misandry. An utterly depraved endorsement of male disposability. Nowhere is cultural misandry more apparent than in gang culture, mafia culture, and vigilante views of "justice."

Try the Fallout series.

Last edited by Androgen; 03-29-2014, 02:29 PM.
    "Women are like that they dont acquire knowledge of people we are for that they are just born with a practical fertility of suspicion that makes a crop every so often and usually right they have an affinity for evil for supplying whatever the evil lacks in itself for drawing it about them instinctively as you do bed-clothing in slumber fertilising the mind for it until the evil has served its purpose whether it ever existed or no" - William Faulkner

Comment

Originally posted by Androgen View Post
      Fail - complete misandry. An utterly depraved endorsement of male disposability. Nowhere is cultural misandry more apparent than in gang culture, mafia culture, and vigilante views of "justice."

Try the Fallout series.

Video
      I always preferred FO1's introduction because it sets the stage for the diversion point in the 1940's.

Comment

Originally posted by DxM Scotty MxD View Post
        I always preferred FO1's introduction because it sets the stage for the diversion point in the 1940's.
        Sadly I've not had a chance to play FO:1 and FO:2. The MGTOW guys should like the song for the trailer to FO:NV though (my personal favorite video game - I just chose the FO3 trailer because its intro embodied what the series is about the best compared to FO:NV - and I've not played the originals, as I said):

The point is that these are games that don't portray human life as a joke - which is a big habit of gaming companies (it's fair enough, games are not fun without enemies of some sort) - particularly when it comes to regarding males as disposable. The Bethesda ones are some of the few games where I find myself trying to shoot as few people as possible while I play it - and the game still "rewards" you for trying to play relatively non-violently.
        Last edited by Androgen; 03-29-2014, 03:49 PM.
        "Women are like that they dont acquire knowledge of people we are for that they are just born with a practical fertility of suspicion that makes a crop every so often and usually right they have an affinity for evil for supplying whatever the evil lacks in itself for drawing it about them instinctively as you do bed-clothing in slumber fertilising the mind for it until the evil has served its purpose whether it ever existed or no" - William Faulkner

Comment

Sadly I've not had a chance to play FO:1 and FO:2. The MGTOW guys should like the song for the trailer to FO:NV though (my personal favorite video game - I just chose the FO3 trailer because its intro embodied what the series is about the best compared to FO:NV - and I've not played the originals, as I said):

Video

The point is that these are games that don't portray human life as a joke - which is a big habit of gaming companies (it's fair enough, games are not fun without enemies of some sort) - particularly when it comes to regarding males as disposable. The Bethesda ones are some of the few games where I find myself trying to shoot as few people as possible while I play it - and the game still "rewards" you for trying to play relatively non-violently.
          Sad that the Legion is such a joke compared to the Van Buren legion and the original New Vegas design docs. Originally the map in New Vegas was supposed to be twice the size of the current one but due to time constraints the Legion side of the river got scrapped. It's hilarious watching lore scholars argue about how the Legion sustains itself with such high attrition rate and the fact because the Legion lands got cut the devs made the excuse that Legion lands are sparsely populated. Originally the Legion was a autonomous army state that roved around trying to expand the territory while the occupants of the lands just had to send a tithe of the lesser criminals to the Legion but were otherwise separate entities with a a system of free trade that had no concept of the worth of human life. Well drugs and pre-war tech were banned but otherwise it was a free trade system.

Comment

Originally posted by DxM Scotty MxD View Post
            Sad that the Legion is such a joke compared to the Van Buren legion and the original New Vegas design docs. Originally the map in New Vegas was supposed to be twice the size of the current one but due to time constraints the Legion side of the river got scrapped. It's hilarious watching lore scholars argue about how the Legion sustains itself with such high attrition rate and the fact because the Legion lands got cut the devs made the excuse that Legion lands are sparsely populated. Originally the Legion was a autonomous army state that roved around trying to expand the territory while the occupants of the lands just had to send a tithe of the lesser criminals to the Legion but were otherwise separate entities with a a system of free trade that had no concept of the worth of human life. Well drugs and pre-war tech were banned but otherwise it was a free trade system.
            Yeah, I'm not Fallout Lore expert - only played 3 and NV. I could tell you a lot about lore within those games as I've put an embarrassingly large amount of time into both of them (as well as TES games (My Skyrim steam is almost at 300 hours play time)), but that's about it. I think the "extreme patriarchy" view of the Legion is a little unrealistic for what you would see develop and has a decidedly "feminism is good" ideal to it (even though no society has ever, to my knowledge, used women primarily as hard labor slaves - that has almost always been mostly the position of men). But, there's a little bit of everything for everyone in every part of the political spectrum in the Fallout games. Caesar's speech is so convincing that, were it not for the fact that he requires me to nuke the Brotherhood of Steel, I would most certainly have sided with him. I have to go with Yes Man because I can't stand anyone else.

Comment

Saint's Row 4 was a textbook case of misandry and gynocentrism. The main female lead is of course the technical genius as well as being so "empowered" she awes and frightens the hell out of all the men, who summons you like a slave to pleasure her and jumps your bones, then when you try to get it on again tells you you have to wait until SHE wants it in the bitchiest voice imaginable. Every contact you have with her involves her shaming and emasculating you in some way. Basically all masculinity is portrayed as toxic and only useful in a world that's already gone to shit thanks to men.

If you like open world games like Saint's Row I'd say Infamous: Second Sons is far more pro male. The main antagonist is a brutal bitch who destroys the lives of innocents and commits atrocities to justify her power grabs, and you play as a young man fighting to stop her with the main motivation of healing your tribe after she used her power to condemn them all to slow death. You're helped by your brother along the way. There is a bit of pussy pass-ing when it comes to one of the girls you work with, and a guy you work with is portrayed as a video game playing loser who's constantly teased about getting laid, but otherwise it's not bad.

When it comes to pro male video games I have to go with Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons as one of the best I've seen. You play as two brothers working together through incredible hardship and danger to save a sick father, helping people on the way, and most of the people you help are men who society might've otherwise forgotten. There's also some red pill moments near the end.

The Banner Saga is great too. Sure the women are women and do a bit of the requisite bitching about female oppression, but at least in the end they're doing it while being willing to fight alongside the men, and there's even a chance for one of the women to enjoy true equality, if you catch my drift. The men are portrayed well, and the story choices let you be cool with male sexuality and view it in a positive light, which is refreshing.
              Last edited by Nateyj11; 03-29-2014, 05:40 PM.
              Disillusionment: Another word for reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Nateyj11 View Post
                Saint's Row 4 was a textbook case of misandry and gynocentrism. The main female lead is of course the technical genius as well as being so "empowered" she awes and frightens the hell out of all the men, who summons you like a slave to pleasure her and jumps your bones, then when you try to get it on again tells you you have to wait until SHE wants it in the bitchiest voice imaginable. Every contact you have with her involves her shaming and emasculating you in some way. Basically all masculinity is portrayed as toxic and only useful in a world that's already gone to shit thanks to men.
                It's really sad that, for centuries men have done everything to avoid the reputation of being frightening to a woman - but feminists openly advocate making themselves scary to men. They say things like "men fear strong women" and stuff like that...

Why would anyone want to scare someone else? If you're in a war zone, sure, you want to be scary - but other than that we regard attempting to scare people are a generally sociopathic trait - unless women want to be scary. It goes to show how loveless and un-compassionate feminists are and throws out all their arguments about "if women ruled the world there'd be no wars or anything" and all that bullshit. Nobody respectable wants to be scary - but somehow women have regarded that as a virtue. Kind of sickening really that they could be so degenerate of soul.

The reality, though, is that gang masculinity is an absolute perversion of actual masculinity - which is why that crap shows up in video games. This is toxic masculinity and there's no sense in denying it:

Last edited by Androgen; 03-29-2014, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not Fallout Lore expert - only played 3 and NV. I could tell you a lot about lore within those games as I've put an embarrassingly large amount of time into both of them (as well as TES games (My Skyrim steam is almost at 300 hours play time)), but that's about it. I think the "extreme patriarchy" view of the Legion is a little unrealistic for what you would see develop and has a decidedly "feminism is good" ideal to it (even though no society has ever, to my knowledge, used women primarily as hard labor slaves - that has almost always been mostly the position of men). But, there's a little bit of everything for everyone in every part of the political spectrum in the Fallout games. Caesar's speech is so convincing that, were it not for the fact that he requires me to nuke the Brotherhood of Steel, I would most certainly have sided with him. I have to go with Yes Man because I can't stand anyone else.
                  I'm a BoS man myself especially when the further back you go the better they are. The reign of Roger Maxson and his immediate heir up to FO1 is probably the best period for them because they weren't all "fuck the outside world". Sure they stayed to themselves but if anyone or anything became a threat in an area where they lived they went out and dealt with it. The town of Maxson even had a guaranty of BoS defence if they ever had problems until they were forced to join the early NCR. After a period of shitty High Elders starting sometime after FO1 they became religious cult without the will to defend the areas they live in.

Comment

I'd say Super Robot Wars Original Generation is pretty Pro-Male. The worst I've seen is Masaki, who's lack of a sense of direction is basically a meme. But everyone, including him gets portrayed fairly. Even Ryusei Date, a gamer and giant robot otaku who's more interested in machines than women. He pilots The R-1, which is one of the three components to the SRX, the franchise mascot. And his video game skill are what MADE him a awesome pilot.

Comment

I don't play video games much anymore - a little bit. I think they're designed to take vitality and potential away from men - to give them a distraction to discourage them from interfering in the feminist takeover of society and the criminals that promote it. Anything to keep them from reaching their full potential as productive members of society and to justify punishing them - calling them deadbeats, losers, failures, embarassments, etc..

I understand the urge to just retreat into fantasy when all of society is sending you messages that you're inherently worthless and might as well be dead.

Comment

I don't understand how anything can be pro or anti 'male'...

The most gynocentric feminist works are very very PRO some males (typically feminist sympathetic or mangina males ) and VERY VERY anti other KINDS of males ( traditional or anti feminist or gay or jocks,) males...

Basically when a work is promoting a feminist ideology it tends to divide men into 'good men' and 'bad men' with the good ones emboding feminist ideas and values and the bad ones representing demonized strawman versions of the 'opposition.'

Joss Whedon is a patron saint on this sort of thing.

That is how works of art promote feminist ideology. Feminism is an ideology...many women DON'T support it and many men DO.
                        Last edited by Maxx; 03-29-2014, 10:41 PM.
                        "Being a cunt doesn't make you wrong." ComradePrescott

Comment

Originally posted by Maxx View Post
                          I don't understand how anything can be pro or anti 'male'...

The most gynocentric feminist works are very very PRO some males (typically feminist sympathetic or mangina males ) and VERY VERY anti other KINDS of males ( traditional or anti feminist or gay or jocks,) males...

Basically when a work is promoting a feminist ideology it tends to divide men into 'good men' and 'bad men' with the good ones emboding feminist ideas and values and the bad ones representing demonized strawman versions of the 'opposition.'

Joss Whedon is a patron saint on this sort of thing.

That is how works of art promote feminist ideology. Feminism is an ideology...many women DON'T support it and many men DO.
                          I don't think you've proved that to me yet - but whatever you say. There are plenty of males I will never like. White knights are one of those kinds of males. Alphas who try to control me against my will are another kind. Gangsters and mafia members I don't like. Anarcho-capitalists are another kind of man I can't stand (women an-caps too). I don't care much for U.S. Police either. Essentially anyone who exhibits extreme authoritarianism for one reason or another I will inevitably despise.

You yourself have expressed strong distaste for sensitive males who aren't particularly gruff, stoic, and stern - so I guess you do the same thing.

1. Most "traditional" males these days aren't anything like "traditional" males of the past. I was raised by Pentecostals and I hate their guts because they're abusive, sadistic, lying, confidence tricksters. They're also not "traditional" in any sense of the word.
                          2. Sure, of course feminist literature will demonize anti-feminist men.
                          3. A gay man is a woman's worst fear - it's someone she absolutely has no capacity to dominate with her sexuality. It's natural she will hate him.
                          4. Not all literature that dislikes "jocks" is anti-male. There's plenty of guys who have had really bad experiences with "jocks" and aren't pleased with them in general. When I was in high school, there were more than a few "jocks" who bullied me on a regular basis. There were a few who were pretty friendly towards me and I liked them plenty. Nobody likes to be pushed around and high school "jocks" have a reputation for doing that. In reality, it's bullies that society doesn't like - not specifically athletes. There is a difference. When bullies, whether they be athletes or not, traumatize geeky guys, those guys do poorer in school and advance less far in life which allows more women to take the spots that the geeky guys didn't get which allows feminism to dominate society.

For me, I just don't like aggressive and controlling people whether they are feminists or athletes or police or soldiers or male or female or black or white or gangsters or feminists or MRA's or anyone else.

Much pop literature these days is distinctly anti-male. It's anti ALL men. It's anti men when it considers men disposable and women immutable people worthy of glorification. It's anti men when it portrays men as stupid and childish and women as wise and intelligent. It's anti men when it portrays men as cavemen and women as enlightened supreme creatures.

Comment

To those talking about Fallout: New Vegas, Caesar's Legion is the ultimate reduction of human life to an utilitarian purpose: males as disposable tools and weapons, bred and brainwashed from birth to serve their roles, females as breeding stock. Everyone is defined by their utility to the regime, no more and no less. It is the ultimate form of dehumanization for everyone under Caesar, where if you can't be of any use you are simply discarded.

NCR is a mix of corrupt politicians and officers with more ideologically driven ones, and soldiers are either joining for the pay, the glory, or for ideological reasons.

Comment

Okay, I can see that some people here clearly disagree with the title I chose to start this thread and I think there are a few misconceptions about Saints Row that I feel I should explain. First and foremost, Saints Row is a PARODY of the gangster genre and by the fourth game has the player fighting aliens as the president of the United States. The only entry in the series that can really be described as "gangsta" is the first game. Now, let me get one thing out of the way: I hate Kenzie. I think she's an ungrateful, spoiled, rude, spiteful, whiny asshole. But she, I can't stress this enough, DOES NOT treat the female characters any different than the male characters. Granted, she does punch the Boss and bitches at them for petty reasons, but she does the exact same thing to a female Boss! As for having sex with her, it depends on the players choice since she'll only respond if the player romances her and there are two other fine ladies available (and three dudes), so its not like the player has to be in a relationship with Kenzie.

Also, as much as I dislike Kenzie I can't call her a mary sue since she relies on the Saints just as much as they rely on her. In the third game the Saints rescue her from being captured by a team of teenaged cybergoths, in four she loses her implied lover and has to work with her hated enemy and the Boss themselves point out how she needs to work with Matt (her rival hacker who cost her a job in the FBI) if the crew is to survive. (Also she gets humiliated by being forced to dance in a poodle skirt.) I'll agree that Saints Row IV isn't as good as the earlier games, but just because Kenzie is a bitch doesn't mean the whole game hates men.

From what I understand few people here have played the series and I can understand your reaction given some of the attention the games have received. When I first bought the game I was worried because of the fact that I heard friends talking about how the player could perform groin attacks and other such things. Let me say this, the player can be a real bastard if they want to in this game. They can shoot men in the nuts, set men on fire, beat men with baseball bats, giant dildos or even their bare hands, run men down in their car or even blast them with superpowers... but the player can do the exact same thing to women. Any violence inflicted on men can be inflicted on women as well and as I've said in my original post the enemy gangs do include female members who fight alongside the men.

As for direct acts of blatant misandry, I have trouble finding any. Both genders are good and evil, both have flaws, both are made fun of relentlessly, both can be nice or bitchy, both can play any role and both can have any position of power. There have been plenty of male villains in the series, but plenty of women as well and they get off no lighter than the men do. There are men who are portrayed as stupid and petty, but there are also examples of the men being more level-headed than the women. In the third game the main antagonist is a female military lieutenant who goes behind her male commanding officers back to stage a terrorist attack just to frame the Saints for it and she gets killed in the most humiliating fashion imaginable.

I've played every single game in the series to nearly 100% completion and I still haven't seen how men are treated any worse or portrayed in a more negative light than women. Hell, if you make the main character female then you can play the whole game as a pure evil criminal who goes around shooting up hospitals and executing people in the streets for shits and giggles with no redeeming qualities or excuses whatsoever. Several women also make sacrifices to save male characters and vise versa so you can't even say that the game expects men to take all the risks, especially if you've got a female Boss pulling stunts that wouldn't lookout of place on an episode of Jackass.

I can understand people not liking the game because they prefer GTA or Sleeping Dogs or whatever, but as far as modern games go I'd say Saints Row is a better choice than 99% of the games out there when it comes to sexism. Understand that when I started this thread asking for "pro-male" games I didn't mean games that portray men as heroes or protectors, but simply games that are at least trying to treat men fairly. Saints Row isn't a very serious game and I'm sorry if you thought that I meant that every man should be a murderer or serial killer or something like that. Looking back I'm kind of regretful I didn't start with Fallout or Two Brothers myself, but I just didn't think of them at the time. The characters in Saints Row are not good guys or positive role models but I do certainly think that the developers did a pretty good job of curbing the sexism plaguing most modern games like Call Of Duty and Grand Theft Auto 5.

If you disagree with me that's fine, but I'd really like to see some examples of how Saints Row is explicitly misandric beyond one or two incidents where a female character somehow mistreats a male character. Maybe I've overlooked something or missed something sexist. I might even agree with you, but you'll have to show me some proof before I label one of the best game series I've played anti-male. If you have some valid points I'll gladly listen to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X