Shocking misandry in Battlestar Galactica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking misandry in Battlestar Galactica

So, these past few days I have been enjoying the boxset of the rather marvellous recent TV remake of BSG.

But one episode made me spit out my tea in disgust

The plot is a little tough to explain if you don't follow the show but bear with me...

OK so one of the main characters is a super-smart scientist who's also the Vice-President of the human race. He has a robot girlfriend whom he impregnates (it's not entirely clear if she's imaginary, but that's by-the-by).

After this happens, she keeps going on about how he needs to 'take up his role as a man, and be the protector of his child" to satisfy God's wishes.

This isn't too bad in itself BUT...

later in the episode, scientist man and a squad of soldiers are lost in a forest, about to launch an assault on some of the baddies. The scientist does not think their strategy is sound, but he is told to shut up because "NOBODY CAN DEFY THE COMMANDING OFFICER" and the CO happens to have come up with the strategy.

So, they are all ready to attack the robots, until the only woman in the squad suddenly starts crying and saying she "just can't do it". The CO flips out, holds a gun to her head and demands she march into battle.
    The scientist responds to this by shooting the CO in the head, after which his imaginary robot girlfriend materialises and tells him "now you are a man"

Still with me? GOOD
    So basically, no soldier must ever defy a superior, unless that soldier is a woman. And the mark of a true man is physically defending cowardly women.

UGH

RE: Shocking misandry in Battlestar Galactica

This is very true. See I used to watch this show a long time ago, at that point I was blind as a bat and had yet to be enlightened, so I couldn't see anything wrong with it, sometime in the last couple of years, probably around 2011, my eyes were opened to the truth and I began to look at everything with more scrutiny and I started to notice how blatantly misandristic, politically correct and dumbed down the show was. In time I became disgusted with it and disposed of anything to do with it.

I wish I had known sooner, because I regret all the time I wasted on that show now. It is not allowed on my computer anymore.
    Ratslicer

Comment

Time to dump that cyborg of a girlfriend.
      Behind every failure is a excuse.

Comment

Your first clue should have been when they changed Starbuck to a female with a chip on her shoulder instead of being rather whitty... and Boomer to an Asian female and/or cylon or somesuch....

Watched when it first aired - first episode..... <CLICK!>

TMOTS

Comment

Originally posted by The Man On The Street
          Your first clue should have been when they changed Starbuck to a female with a chip on her shoulder instead of being rather whitty... and Boomer to an Asian female and/or cylon or somesuch....

Watched when it first aired - first episode..... <CLICK!>

TMOTS
          Later in life that really became a source of irritation, especially when I learned that was not how the original show was supposed to be. One of the reason's I disposed of any association with it.
          Ratslicer

Comment

I have one thing to say. I was 7 years old in 1979. Dirk Benedict is Starbuck.
            \"No wonder I\'m not in a relationship... I\'m not childish enough to handle being in one.\"

Comment

I stopped watching the new Battlestar Galactica within the first 15 minutes of the first episode. If I recall correctly there was some space station in which a representative from each side of a war were supposed to go and discuss peace. Some older man from the human side is there when a cylon shows up , who just happens to be a hot looking babe and starts making out with the guy, just before the station is blowed up. 1) Hot looking babe = tiresome. I almost agree with feminists about this type of portrayal of female characters, but for different reason (re: male manipulation) 2) Man does nothing when the woman makes out with him, because, hey, that is what men are supposed to want, right? Turn those genders around and the woman just got raped.

So, bad guys represented by hot babe, what would be a rape (or at least sexual assault) were the genders reversed, sexual manipulation and replacing male characters with female characters. Never watched another episode. :dodgy:
              In the movie, The Great Race (1965), the Great Leslie says to a feminist, "You're not talking about equal rights. You are talking about some convenient, feminist utopia that has all of the advantages and none of the responsibilities!"

Comment

I remember this episode. I also seem to remember that the female soldier (I forget her name) later threatens to blackmail him over it. The man who saved her life. She remains a sympathetic character, too.
                Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
                If mankind perished utterly;

And spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
                Would scarcely know that we were gone.

Comment

Finished it as I was starting the red pill infusion. While I liked the graphics and the overall story, most of the misandric elements that have been discussed here were present throughout the series. Kally (the soldier that blackmailed him,) did get hers eventually.

I did like Olmos' portrayal of Adama. The quiet commander, fairly even keeled and even handed, who let his anger out in a quiet way that let you know he was pissed at you. Thought he was rather well fleshed out. His acting is possibly the only reason I would watch it again.

Comment

Working...
                  X