One Billion Rising Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Billion Rising Campaign

HEEEEEEY KEEEEEDS! Did you know a billion women on this planet have been raped and beaten? (So have several billion men, probably, but who the f*** cares about them?) It's the wimmenz who matter!

http://onebillionrising.org/

Damn. It seems I can't even log into Second Life without getting hit with ads from this....thing..... (SL has a huge female consumer base so it makes logical sense for a campaign like this to try and infect this kind of milieu.)

Nowhere, NOWHERE on the page do I see any mention of violence and rape considered an atrocity against men. (Only women can be victims of crimes, apparently.)

Any thoughts on this?
    [hr]

ADDENDUM: Gah! I went to the Second Life Universe forums today and I found someone had begun a thread about the Billion Moms March or whatever the hell they're calling this campaign.... Someone (male) responded to the thread thusly:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Although this is something I can get behind 100% I do wish more of these movements would include abused children and men as well. Abuse is abuse and must be stamped out.

Sounds like a reasonable objection, right? Well, here's what forum member "Aimee" had to say:

I am so tired of hearing that one. There's always some jerk who comes up with that kind of nonsense, in threads such as the one about date rape of women. "But men get raped too".

This illogical argument gets applied, only by some men, and only about any campaign related to women's issues.

They don't apply it equally to any other campaigns about specific issues...

For example there's a campaign against the hunting of whales. Would you say they are wrong to do that? That if they want to campaign about whales, they should be campaigning for ALL threatened species on earth, otherwise they are being unfair to the other animals?

There are campaigns specifically about political prisoners (which are not about prison reform more generally for criminal prisoners too).
    There are also campaigns for prison reform, wanting more humane treatment of convicted criminals.
    Those are separate campaigns for obvious reasons (obvious to most people if not to you). Do you want Amnesty International to change their focus for you?

There was a campaign specifically about ending apartheid in South Africa. Do you think they were wrong to have that focus? that they should have campaigned about all kinds of oppression in every nation all over the world? Otherwise they were being unfair to oppressed people in Tibet?

Black South Africans were not the only people being oppressed at that time. And as you say, women are not the only people suffering from violence at this time. However there are very good demographic statistical reasons why the people who started this campaign chose to focus on assault and rape perpetrated on women.

Obviously that doesn't mean they don't care about children. No doubt some of the participants in this campaign are also participating in other campaigns about other human rights issues, such as child abuse.

If you want to join or start such a broad campaign, that ALL abuse of any humans, men and women and children, "must be stamped out", go for it. Nobody is stopping you from starting your own organization. But don't expect those who are currently focused on women's safety to broaden it to a general law and order campaign.

It's a fact that women are generally less safe than men in many nations, first world and third world -- unsafe in the street and unsafe in their own homes. If you don't care about that, just stay out of it. Trying to campaign for the rights of men in a venue that is about the abuse of women is a stupid and irrelevant intrusion.[/undefined]

Stupid and irrelevant? The fact that someone points out that a campaign which seeks to end violence would be more effective if it focused on helping everybody, (not just a select few based on whether they have a vagina or not)--that makes it a stupid and irrelevant intrusion? God, the nerve of some of these feministas.....

RE: One Billion Rising Campaign

You know, I'm fine with that idea. Special interest groups are fine. But then if men try to do something like this, they'll be butting in and telling us to man up and that we should be supporting them instead.

So fuck them. I hope they get fired. Since I sure as fuck would be if I walked out of my job.

Comment

That one billion figure sounds outrageously huge.
      Your Dawn listens, my Lord! Let all the Aurbis know itself to be Free! Mehrunes is come! There is no dominion save free will!

Comment

Originally posted by Melchiah
        http://1in6.org/the-1-in-6-statistic/

http://geography.about.com/od/obtainpopulationdata/a/worldpopulation.htm

"Dad, why is it 'Fatherland', but 'mother-tongue' ?" ... "Son, because Men build civilisation. Women talk."
        Feminism is just another Apartheid: legally-sanctioned discrimination.

Comment

Originally posted by billybob
          http://1in6.org/the-1-in-6-statistic/

http://geography.about.com/od/obtainpopulationdata/a/worldpopulation.htm

That page is about men. I was referring to the 1 billion figure that the linked "1 billion rising" campaign is claiming for women.

Secondly, the 1-in-6 website you cite in regards to male victimization contains only studies performed on American populations. While that is evidence for a 1-in-6 victimization rates for men in the United States, extrapolating it to the entire planet's male population is inherently flawed. Even so, 1 in 6 men is not 1 billion people. That would be something on the order of 500,000,000 to 600,000,000 people, not a billion.
          Your Dawn listens, my Lord! Let all the Aurbis know itself to be Free! Mehrunes is come! There is no dominion save free will!

Comment

[...]That page is about men. I was referring to the 1 billion figure that the linked "1 billion rising" campaign is claiming for women.

Secondly, the 1-in-6 website you cite in regards to male victimization contains only studies performed on American populations. While that is evidence for a 1-in-6 victimization rates for men in the United States, extrapolating it to the entire planet's male population is inherently flawed. Even so, 1 in 6 men is not 1 billion people. That would be something on the order of 500,000,000 to 600,000,000 people, not a billion.

well , you are right in that the 1 in 6 cannot be extrapolated globally.
            Nor can it be used as an indication of counts, per year, as it refers to "experience before age 18"...

Sadly, I was pressed for time,with usual AM routines - I should NOT have posted the "1 in 6" ref...

------------------------

This "rape statistic" is one of the most difficult to get a sensible handle on, globally - the definition varies (UK,Aus,India,etc = "only a penis can rape"), the reported standards vary (eg.Sweden reports EVERY incidence as separate - a woman claiming marital rape over a year could result in 365 cases of rape,etc...)

Although I have read (somewhere - I think in aVfM ) stats that UN reports global (i think 65 countries) counts for rape are about 250K ), while US estimates for male rape in prisons are about 300k....

------------------------
            ps. btw, the basic arithmetic (on my invalid ref) would have been : 7.2 / 6 = 1.2 (1.2Billion)
            "Dad, why is it 'Fatherland', but 'mother-tongue' ?" ... "Son, because Men build civilisation. Women talk."
            Feminism is just another Apartheid: legally-sanctioned discrimination.

Comment

Yeah I had a look at it the other week,

-in the worst places its like 120 per 100,000 (South Africa) - Based off UN estimations etc etc etc .... basically smarter men than I come up with the number

So..... my math sucks

BUTTT if we devide 7 Billion by a Hundred thousand...we get 70,000 and if we multiply 120 by 70000 we get 8,400,000

So worst case scenario...8 Million 4 hundred thousand.
              Fuck it times that shit by 80 average life span.... you get...672,000,000.... just over halfway there....

So I could believe that figure, if the whole world were similar to the a country with the highest recorded sexual offenses.

Basically Female Rape statistics never check out.

- I am not belittling the issue, I take it extremely seriously, I think if you are going to make a claim have something reputable to back it up. Not some figure you pulled out of your ass because its sounds better than the real number!

1 in 3 males dont get tonka truck toys as kids! In 2004 it was 1 in 7, End this horrible trend now before tonka trucks become extinct!

You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.....

Comment

Originally posted by billybob

------------------------
                ps. btw, the basic arithmetic (on my invalid ref) would have been : 7.2 / 6 = 1.2 (1.2Billion)
                That 7.2 should be a 3.5ish though, since the 1 in 6 is about men, not men and ladies.

Comment

Originally posted by TroperAmethyst

For example there's a campaign against the hunting of whales. Would you say they are wrong to do that? That if they want to campaign about whales, they should be campaigning for ALL threatened species on earth, otherwise they are being unfair to the other animals?
                  Well that's pretty damn ridiculous. A closer comparison would be if there were only two species on the planet being hunted and one received zero funding and support while the other had a plethora of it.

Anyway, my thoughts on the One Billion Rising campaign are pretty simple; it's going to flop. It's just another attempt to hijack Valentine's Day for misandric causes in the way the Eve Ensler started. Fortunately, the average man and woman on the street don't buy into Eve's "Valentine's Day should be about hating each other, not loving each other!" twaddle. So it won't have a leg to stand on.

Now watch them declare it a "success" anyway ...
                  My blog about the portrayal of men in video games: TheMalesOfGames

Comment

Working...
                  X