Outrage Over Calendar Shows That Even Tiny Acts of Feminism Rile the Haters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outrage Over Calendar Shows That Even Tiny Acts of Feminism Rile the Haters

Article by a Feminist on Yahoo today claims Men's Rights Activists are making her a "laughing-stock" (her words, not mine).

Marcella Leininger Kocolatos had a simple goal when she launched her Kickstarter project this week: to show that men can be feminists too. The 24-year-old NYU law student aimed to achieve that mission by enlisting 12 of her women’s rights–loving male friends to pose for a 2016 calendar dubbed Feminist Men of New York. Half the proceeds would benefit a reproductive health organization.

Before the first dollar was pledged toward her $1,800 goal, she suspected that her 12-month tribute might not be the perfect gift for everybody’s wish list. Maybe she’d even get some flak from so-called men’s rights groups who publicly take potshots at feminists. What she didn’t expect was that her well-intentioned calendar—and the dozen young men featured in it—would become the laughingstock of one sizeable corner of the Internet.
    “I’ve never been publicly attacked on the Internet before,” Kocolatos said, cautiously prefacing our phone conversation on Thursday after having read an article that turned her feminist fund-raiser into a punch line.

You can read the whole article here.

http://news.yahoo.com/outrage-over-c...101743611.html

FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
    It's time to call it out for what it is.
    == REJECT FEMINISM. EMBRACE HUMANITY ==

The World of Men - Men's Rights / MGTOW / Sites of Interest to Men
    http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showt...nterest-to-Men

yep definitely MRA's that made her a laughingstock, although I'm pretty sure she did that herself anyone who disagrees with anything a feminist says is now an MRA, by my count that now makes just about everyone an MRA which should make getting things done rather easy.

Some critics took issue with male saviors being framed as the face of feminism when it's women who have been actively working toward gender equality for decades
    Pffft that's other feminists you can tell because they think feminism is working towards gender equality rather than being the primary force opposing gender equality.
    "It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Jack H. View Post
      yep definitely MRA's that made her a laughingstock, although I'm pretty sure she did that herself anyone who disagrees with anything a feminist says is now an MRA, by my count that now makes just about everyone an MRA which should make getting things done rather easy.

Pffft that's other feminists you can tell because they think feminism is working towards gender equality rather than being the primary force opposing gender equality.

Feminists simply cannot see their own bigotry.
      FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
      It's time to call it out for what it is.
      == REJECT FEMINISM. EMBRACE HUMANITY ==

The World of Men - Men's Rights / MGTOW / Sites of Interest to Men
      http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showt...nterest-to-Men

Comment

Originally posted by mr_e View Post
        Feminists simply cannot see their own bigotry.
        ... 'cos privilege makes blind :-)

M

Comment

Some critics took issue with male saviors being framed as the face of feminism when it's women who have been actively working toward gender equality for decades.
          The reason this makes it clear that it's "other feminists" who attacked her? I see a different reason: that "no matter what you do it's never 'feminist' enough, if it violates any sacred cow, like having women always be at the center"

"objectifying" men? not a problem. That someone, somewhere, might possibly give these men a tiny bit more credit for helping 'feminism' that a woman sitting at home watching TV, THAT is 'unacceptable'...that's what I hear in that quote above from the article

Next, ten articles about how evil society oppresses women by objectifying them, another batch of articles about how women should use their sexy bodies as "power" to rule the world and control (and women attacking other women in an arms race over their looks, but remember, even then, it's still the fault of 'The Patriarchy!') but these men? No risk of them being objectified..but risk of men getting "too much" credit for doing anything good for women? Eternal, watchful vigilance against that dangerous, horrible outcome!

Comment

Out of one side of their mouths they say encouraging things like: "We need men to be feminists in order to achieve equality for women," "its in men's own self-interest to be feminists," and "men who are feminist are extraordinarily brave for rejecting 'toxic' masculinity and gender norms;" or shaming like: "For men to be anything other than feminists is evil patriarchal misogyny," in order to convince guys that they should(or must) be feminists.

Out of the other side of their mouths feminists attack men if they're given too much credit for being feminists - as seen here.

It's almost as if men can't be feminists because feminism exists to attack and blame men for all the ills in the world. They can't speak too loudly on women's experiences because that would be a patriarchal usurpation of their voices, but they can't speak too loudly about their own experiences because that would be derailing and invading women's safe spaces. So it's almost as if men are not allowed any kind of real voice in feminism - except as a method of shaming other men for their flaws. I say almost because of course, feminism is about equality, right?
            Last edited by STParker; 05-09-2015, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Well, the blindness and sexism are blatant, starting with the title. Seems anyone who disagrees in the slightest is a "hater" Oh my! Such nuance, subtlety and tolerance! When your ideology has no moral or rational basis, well, you must demonize your enemies. Like the Nazi's.

Comment

Working...
              X