Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claims that marriage is good for men's health and lifespan

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/06/1...ence/21397462/

Author claims men must marry a "smart" woman to lower dementia risk and increase lifespan. I have always been suspect of the claim that married men live longer because they are married.

Originally posted by Gar Castle View Post

Author claims men must marry a "smart" woman to lower dementia risk and increase lifespan. I have always been suspect of the claim that married men live longer because they are married.
    That assumes that marriage will last, the ones that don't last are discounted so the results are skewed.
    I sexually identify as a sword pommel, check your privilege or i will have to end you RIGHTLY.

Comment

If you avoid divorce-rape, you might live 5 years longer.

And if you don't, then you might live 10-50 years shorter.

Comment

The trick is that people who live alone die younger, and just a little thought will bear that out.

I would be dead if I hadn't been married when I had a bad reaction to antibiotics for a lung infection; anaphylactic shock. My wife heard me rattling in my sleep as my throat closed up. The next morning would have been too late.

People die from slipping in the shower, falling down stairs, cutting themselves on sharp objects and a hundred other things that they would have lived after if someone had been there to get them to the hospital in time, and that's without even going into the emotional and psychological impacts of solitude.

Comment

Originally posted by StrongSilentType View Post
          The trick is that people who live alone die younger, and just a little thought will bear that out.
          Have evidence for this?

I would be dead if I hadn't been married when I had a bad reaction to antibiotics for a lung infection; anaphylactic shock. My wife heard me rattling in my sleep as my throat closed up. The next morning would have been too late.
          And the only way to prevent this to happens is if you get a wife?

People die from slipping in the shower, falling down stairs, cutting themselves on sharp objects and a hundred other things that they would have lived after if someone had been there to get them to the hospital in time, and that's without even going into the emotional and psychological impacts of solitude.
          This is all young people, right?

And I have not idea what you mean for "emotional and psychological impact of solitude", you can get as much company as you want or as less company ass you want... but being married you don't have this second option, you better never ever want to have some time alone.

Comment

And you should be. The underlying cause is "intellectual stimulation", and one such source of stimulation turns out to be a smart wife, who stays your wife; which as advice goes, equals the regular use of powdered unicorn horn in your diet. The mechanism isn't "marriage", it is intellectual stimulation, but the advice they filter out is to marry, which of course is a gamble. So, it is the usual lottery/Ponzi scheme, they want as many as possible to play the lottery, and dangle the illusory reward as bait.

M

Comment

Originally posted by simpleman View Post
              Have evidence for this?
              http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/arti...icleID=1188041

And the only way to prevent this to happens is if you get a wife?
              Who else would have been in bed with me at 2 am to notice?

This is all young people, right?
              No, it's mostly older people.

And I have not idea what you mean for "emotional and psychological impact of solitude", you can get as much company as you want or as less company ass you want... but being married you don't have this second option, you better never ever want to have some time alone.
              Don't take this the wrong way, but how old are you?

Yea, that's what it feels like in your 20s. By your 30s, almost all your friends have either moved on or have kids and don't have time for you. Looking 40 in the face, and I only have one person that I talk to on a regular basis that isn't immediate family, ex-family or work-related, and even we can't get together very often because we both have kids and jobs and not much time for ourselves.

For that matter, I might be moving, soon, to a place where I don't know anyone and will be working 70-80 hours per week. That doesn't leave a lot of time for socializing.

Thinking about being 50 or 60 years old and having absolutely no one around.... it's scary.

Comment

Originally posted by StrongSilentType View Post

This is only an argument for cohabitation. A gf would have been just as capable of doing this as a wife would have been.

Comment

To be fair, the author also states that routinely doing crossword puzzles has the same affect. So intelligent wife = crossword puzzles for combating dementia.

Comment

I wonder if the comparatively shorter lifespans of unmarried guys can be attributed to the fact that many middle-aged bachelors own fast motorcycles, Corvettes and 700hp Dodges???
                    "The truth is sometimes a poor competitor in the market of ideas" George F. Kennan

Comment

Link does not offer evidence for this affirmation: "people who live alone die younger"

But I can trough some actual numbers to the pot if you want to: about 90% of the rapes are done by someone the victim know, likewise about 80% of homicides... and so on.

Who else would have been in bed with me at 2 am to notice?
                      The problem here is that you was not alone, the problem is that you was not aware of your allergic reaction to the medicine, I will directly blame this on the doctor that gave you the medicine... it is not about who was there for you, it is about it should have never happen on the first place... but it happen.

No, it's mostly older people.
                      This is exactly my point... and sadly enough most of those people was married at some point on their lives, some of them even 2 or 3 times... marriage is not a solution to loneliness... statistically in marriages that survive the divorce epidemic: 50% of the people will die in the company of their partners the other half die alone anyway...

Don't take this the wrong way, but how old are you?

Yea, that's what it feels like in your 20s. By your 30s, almost all your friends have either moved on or have kids and don't have time for you. Looking 40 in the face, and I only have one person that I talk to on a regular basis that isn't immediate family, ex-family or work-related, and even we can't get together very often because we both have kids and jobs and not much time for ourselves.

For that matter, I might be moving, soon, to a place where I don't know anyone and will be working 70-80 hours per week. That doesn't leave a lot of time for socializing.

Thinking about being 50 or 60 years old and having absolutely no one around.... it's scary.
                      about half the people from my generation have never get married, and the number of singles seams to increase in the next generations.

I am no missing any social interaction. Ironically you are telling me that you are married and with kids and you are the one here talking about not having enough friends.

I am on my late 30s, and I have plenty of friends... granted some of this friends will be party only friends, or church only friends, or club only friends... and so on... but between so many groups I get a nice dose of variety and company, as much as I want to.

I consider myself having a healthy and active social life. Yet I see you complaining about your lack of this that I have in abundance, and you are trying to tell me that I should get married, like if it helped you with your social life?

Then you start to talk about your 70 to 80 hours of work... and at this moment I am just about to start playing the violin. You see? I don't have wife, I don't have kids, I live in the cheapest and smallest apartment I found, and so I can pay my bills with a 20 to 30 hours per week part time, and still have some extra for small savings... And I am fancy, one of my friends is actually living in a small old warehouse unit he is renting... at least I am living in a "residential" unit, just because I am fancy like that.

One thing I know for sure, I will never die of anything stress related.

Comment

Originally posted by Autolite View Post
                        I wonder if the comparatively shorter lifespans of unmarried guys can be attributed to the fact that many middle-aged bachelors own fast motorcycles, Corvettes and 700hp Dodges???
                        Yes! Good point.
                        I'm also thinking more men die young before they marry ( think combat, work related death ). They died younger , not because they were single but because they died before they had a chance to marry. Many of them may have married if they didn't have to go into combat and would have lived longer if they didn't go into combat whether single or married. This really skews the numbers.

Comment

Marriage does not increase a man's life span. Even a most cursory glance at the statistics would bear this out. It's divorce that shortens a man's life span.

Divorced men and "never married" men are lumped together in the statistics as "single" upon death. Men who are still married at death are counted as "married" naturally.

The life spans of "never married" men are actually longer than the life spans of men who were married, but this is not reflected in the statistics as they are coupled with divorced men.

It is also true that men who are likely to experience a shorter life span, ie. mentally dissabled, physically disabled, criminal dispositions, high risk takers, are unlikely to attract the attention of a female in order to marry them, so therefore the stats are skewed even further.

The statistical pattern for women is the same, it's just that when the statistics are interpreted, they are interpreted different ways to flatter women's sensibilities, and to try to sucker men into marriage.

Edit: Oh, and to boot, wives overwhelmingly outlive their husbands, and therefore are counted as "single" upon death, which can be interpreted as "there are no benefits to women marrying" which gives women some more martyrdom fap material.
                          Last edited by malcolm; 06-20-2016, 10:06 PM.
                          “No one is free who has not obtained the empire of himself. No man is free who cannot command himself.”
                          ― Pythagoras

Comment

Working...
                          X