Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Empathy Gap

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Empathy Gap

    Hi,

    man gets hit by car 500 m from hospital.
    Hundreds of vehicles and pedestrians pass.
    No one stops, except one man - to steal his cell phone.

    http://www.india.com/stream/delhi-hi...video-1399710/

    But it's just a man, so ...

    M

  • #2
    The bystander effect, or bystander apathy, is a social psychological phenomenon that refers to cases in which individuals do not offer any means of help to a victim when other people are present. The probability of help is inversely related to the number of bystanders. In other words, the greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. Several variables help to explain why the bystander effect occurs. These variables include: ambiguity, cohesiveness and diffusion of responsibility.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect
    Effectively if people are unsure what to do they look around and see nobody else helping and that cements the conclusion that "it's not my problem."
    "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

    Comment


    • #3
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by StrongSilentType View Post
        Beat ya to it! :-D
        "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
        "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mifune View Post
          Beat ya to it! :-D
          I saw, I was just giving the name

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by StrongSilentType View Post
            I saw, I was just giving the name
            And is it the same if the victim is a man or a woman?

            M

            Comment


            • #7
              I was on an elevator in a hospital and saw it first hand. A man had a huge seizure right there in the elevator. I didn't respond right away because I had my 3 year old son with me and I didn't want to abandon him. I stood their and witnessed at least 10 doctors and nurses just stare at the guy as he lay on the floor and pounded his head against the elevator door. It seemed like an eternity went by and I thought to my self, "Am I going to have to take action with all of these paid "professionals" standing right here? At the time, I was kind of staring at this woman in a white coat. She got this look of "Well I guess this looks bad" on her face and begrudgingly bent down to help the poor bastard. I can only assume they were all on their break or something.
              I used to think collapse was inevitable. Now I realize it is necessary.

              It was only a matter of time before the bicycles realized that they in fact did not need the fish.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Manalysis View Post
                And is it the same if the victim is a man or a woman?

                M
                Apparently it depends on whether the bystanders are primarily of the same gender as the victim or not.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pbisque View Post
                  I was on an elevator in a hospital and saw it first hand. A man had a huge seizure right there in the elevator. I didn't respond right away because I had my 3 year old son with me and I didn't want to abandon him. I stood their and witnessed at least 10 doctors and nurses just stare at the guy as he lay on the floor and pounded his head against the elevator door. It seemed like an eternity went by and I thought to my self, "Am I going to have to take action with all of these paid "professionals" standing right here? At the time, I was kind of staring at this woman in a white coat. She got this look of "Well I guess this looks bad" on her face and begrudgingly bent down to help the poor bastard. I can only assume they were all on their break or something.
                  Apathy is contagious, unfortunately. :/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The hope is that by being aware of the bystander effect, when you find yourself in a situation where nobody seems to be helping, that it will change your thinking.

                    Instead of looking around and thinking "well, if nobody else is going to help then I don't have to help either", you recognize what's going on and will instead think well, if nobody else is going to help, that I guess it's up to me!"
                    "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
                    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mifune View Post
                      The hope is that by being aware of the bystander effect, when you find yourself in a situation where nobody seems to be helping, that it will change your thinking.

                      Instead of looking around and thinking "well, if nobody else is going to help then I don't have to help either", you recognize what's going on and will instead think well, if nobody else is going to help, that I guess it's up to me!"
                      Sort of like 'herd mentality?'

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Deidre View Post
                        Sort of like 'herd mentality?'
                        For some reason I think of herd mentality as action instead of inaction. I can't think of any fundamental reason why not doing something because no one else is and doing something because every one else is though. The Bystander Effect could certainly be described as herd mentality.

                        But what I was getting at is that by recognizing our own tendency to behave like the group, then we can override that tendency in those situations. (or at least try to) And hopefully by doing so move more toward developing the kind of character that we as individuals, and maybe even more collectively as a society, can be proud of.
                        "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
                        "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mifune View Post
                          For some reason I think of herd mentality as action instead of inaction. I can't think of any fundamental reason why not doing something because no one else is and doing something because every one else is though. The Bystander Effect could certainly be described as herd mentality.
                          Okay, I see your point, now.

                          But what I was getting at is that by recognizing our own tendency to behave like the group, then we can override that tendency in those situations. (or at least try to)
                          That's a good idea, if you're capable of helping, then yes.


                          And hopefully by doing so move more toward developing the kind of character that we as individuals, and maybe even more collectively as a society, can be proud of.
                          I wonder though, if some of people's hesitancy comes into play because of how unpredictable people are these days. With all the violence and such in the news, might people be afraid to help others for fear of their own safety, or being sued if they do something wrong, etc? Much of it is straight up apathy and 'it's someone else's problem, not mine.' But, fear might play a role. You know?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Deidre View Post
                            I wonder though, if some of people's hesitancy comes into play because of how unpredictable people are these days. With all the violence and such in the news, might people be afraid to help others for fear of their own safety, or BEING SUED if they do something wrong, etc?
                            The liability is a valid concern.

                            A few years ago I saw an older women struggling to get across the parking lot at the local WalMart. No one else seemed to want to help so I decided to give her a hand and I held her arms trying to help her to walk. When we got inside the store's doors, to my surprise, her legs completely gave out. It caught me off guard and I couldn't hold her from falling so I leaned back and let her fall on top of me and I took the weight of the both of us hitting the floor.

                            No one was hurt and I helped her back up an set her into one of those WalMart motorized scooter chairs.

                            It was later that it occurred to me the liability I took. You cannot predict how another person will act and turn the situation around on you. Many years prior I grabbed a woman around the waist who slipped and almost fell backward off of an airplane. She was furious that I had grabbed her thinking I was trying to assault her or something.

                            In this screwed-up world of backward-inverse fuck-think, there's no way of knowing who or how someone will use a situation and our bullshit fucked up legal system to destroy you. I don't think I am as quick to help someone today as I was years ago...
                            Last edited by Autolite; 08-12-2016, 11:03 PM.
                            "The truth is sometimes a poor competitor in the market of ideas" George F. Kennan

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              We studied this in college in the 70's. They also reported that when people study this phenomenon they are much more likely to intervene.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X