Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You'll Love This One... Sydney University defends new scholarship that favours men as

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MatrixTransform
    replied
    Originally posted by TheNarrator View Post
    lol you have the best stories
    The power of narrative!...fight the pathos.

Also, its an Aussie tradition of sorts. A yarn
    Part fact, part fiction.
    I try to keep em real...seriously the pizza, science girl and blue-hair really happened, and yes it was last Sunday

I once drove from absolutely bum-fuck nowhere in South Australia to Alice Springs with a crew of guys.
    From work in the desert to the Airport.
    5 Hrs at mostly 140kmh.
    Bush fire, watering holes, derelict car wrecks dating back to the 50's, dodging cows, dead roos.
    Wedge Tail eagles would launch from road kill and fill the windscreen before the slip-stream would lift them.
    There is nothing there. Just a road-house every 100 or 200 km (usually full of nubile German tourists btw)

This one fella Chris, sat in the middle back of the Land Cruiser and he started with the story about 15min after we began.
    It didnt stop. not once until we got to the town.
    Fucking hilarious.
    better than a mini series.

and I believed absolutely everything he said. sort of.

Leave a comment:

• TheNarrator
    replied
    Originally posted by Manalysis View Post
    I would love to see Ms Grant detail these "structural barriers to receiving an education" ...

M
    dont have any doubt she could put forward reasoning.. but would we accept it? she would believe it 100%. isnt that human nature?

Leave a comment:

• TheNarrator
    replied
    Originally posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    Gavin McInnes calls it Hot Canada.

It does get a little warm from time to time
    so we're cold australia? lol

Leave a comment:

• TheNarrator
    replied
    Originally posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    Last Sunday, we got 3 gourmet wood fired pizzas, 2 Cranberry Juices and a couple of Brooklyn Lagers.

All served by a scraggy, lesbian Science Grad.

I know...her behind the bar and the imbecile fat, tattooed, blue hair in front of me while ordering stood there and chatted bullshit for 5 minutes while I had to shut up and wait faster.

bad service, but impeccably virtuous both of them.

couldn't have been funnier if the both got on the bar and strutted like chickens

They both genuinely didnt give 2 fucks ... Im just walking dick

She probably deserves a scholarship more
    lol you have the best stories

Leave a comment:

• MatrixTransform
    replied
    Originally posted by mr_e View Post
    We're talking about the land down under....
    Gavin McInnes calls it Hot Canada.

It does get a little warm from time to time

Leave a comment:

• mr_e
    replied
    Originally posted by Deidre View Post
    Gender, ethnicity, etc should never come into play when it comes to scholarships. If you're qualified from an academic standpoint, that should be all that matters. Why would you want to be "given" a scholarship based on your gender or some other trait that has nothing to do with if you are capable or not?

But fair is fair in gender wars I guess. ^_^

We're talking about the land down under.... where the sun don't shine.

Leave a comment:

• MatrixTransform
    replied
    Last Sunday, we got 3 gourmet wood fired pizzas, 2 Cranberry Juices and a couple of Brooklyn Lagers.

All served by a scraggy, lesbian Science Grad.

I know...her behind the bar and the imbecile fat, tattooed, blue hair in front of me while ordering stood there and chatted bullshit for 5 minutes while I had to shut up and wait faster.

bad service, but impeccably virtuous both of them.

couldn't have been funnier if the both got on the bar and strutted like chickens

They both genuinely didnt give 2 fucks ... Im just walking dick

She probably deserves a scholarship more

Leave a comment:

• Deidre
    replied
    Gender, ethnicity, etc should never come into play when it comes to scholarships. If you're qualified from an academic standpoint, that should be all that matters. Why would you want to be "given" a scholarship based on your gender or some other trait that has nothing to do with if you are capable or not?

But fair is fair in gender wars I guess. ^_^

Leave a comment:

• Manalysis
    replied
    Originally posted by StrongSilentType View Post
    a private individual, presumably an employer in need of a veterinarian in a rural area, has set up a scholarship to prioritize male students.
    And it doesn't even have to go to a man - the main criterion is adademic performance, but when weighing academic equals, further criteria are specified.
    Loki grant that all such programs geared towards women were as "unfair" as this.

M

Leave a comment:

• Manalysis
    replied
    Originally posted by mr_e View Post
    Sydney University defends new scholarship that favours men as 'consistent with diversity'
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/educa...08-gu84l6.html

The University of Sydney is standing by a new $27,000 vet science scholarship that favours men after students protested that it constitutes unacceptable sexism. [...] Some vet science students were infuriated when they received notification last week of the Professor Marsh Edwards AO Scholarship [...] [which] says that "preference will be given to applicants who are: from rural or regional areas, male, interested in large animal practice ... [and] an Australian citizen [...] female vet students were "horrified". [...] I was really surprised. I really thought that it was a mistake – some sort of clerical error. Sexism exists in our society but I thought the uni held itself to a higher standard." [...] Gender balance in vet science as a profession has reversed in the past 20 years from male to female-dominated [...] Ms Grant conceded there were women-only and indigenous-only scholarships offered at the university, "but what distinguishes those scholarships is they are in place to procure benefits for people who face structural barriers to receiving an education".
    I would love to see Ms Grant detail these "structural barriers to receiving an education" ...

Another thing revealed: how feminist arguments never address the specifics of a case, but consist in vague, one-size-fits-all commonplaces.

M

Leave a comment:

• StrongSilentType
    replied
    It was this simple:

A spokeswoman for the university said it was "confident" the scholarship complied with discrimination laws.

"The inclusion of males as one of a number of preferences by the donor is to address the current under-representation of males in the student cohort," she said.
    "Of this year's graduate entry for the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine students, over 90 per cent of the intake is expected to be female. This is a trend seen over the past five years along with an increasing trend away from rural practice."

The federal government's latest Job Outlook data reports that of employed vets, 19 per cent are male (full time) and 3 per cent (part time) compared with females 48 per cent (full time) and 30 per cent (part time).
    4/5 of the profession are female, they make up a disproportionate number of part time workers, and they aren't taking the jobs that need to be filled because they don't involve cute animals and aren't close to a Starbuck's, so a private individual, presumably an employer in need of a veterinarian in a rural area, has set up a scholarship to prioritize male students.

Leave a comment:

• mr_e
    replied
    Feel the BURN.

Leave a comment:

• You'll Love This One... Sydney University defends new scholarship that favours men as

Sydney University defends new scholarship that favours men as 'consistent with diversity'
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/educa...08-gu84l6.html

The University of Sydney is standing by a new $27,000 vet science scholarship that favours men after students protested that it constitutes unacceptable sexism. [...] Some vet science students were infuriated when they received notification last week of the Professor Marsh Edwards AO Scholarship [...] [which] says that "preference will be given to applicants who are: from rural or regional areas, male, interested in large animal practice ... [and] an Australian citizen [...] female vet students were "horrified". [...] I was really surprised. I really thought that it was a mistake – some sort of clerical error. Sexism exists in our society but I thought the uni held itself to a higher standard." [...] Gender balance in vet science as a profession has reversed in the past 20 years from male to female-dominated [...] Ms Grant conceded there were women-only and indigenous-only scholarships offered at the university, "but what distinguishes those scholarships is they are in place to procure benefits for people who face structural barriers to receiving an education".
Working...
X