X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manalysis
    replied
    Hi,

if you want the law to treat people like him differently, you have to work to change the law.
    The law is supposed ot be an expression of what people hold to be just and fair.
    At the moment, tha law says that it is just and fair that this man will be released.
    If you don't like that, you can't go mob rule and pick on a single person.
    You have to change the law.
    The rule of law is key.
    Lose that, and civilization _really_ goes down the drain.

M

Leave a comment:

• TheDarkMan
    replied
    He hasn't served his time, this is a guy who raped and MURDERED two teenage girls on separate occasions. He attacked two others, and he allowed someone else to take the rap for one of them. This guy should never see daylight again, period.

Leave a comment:

• Mifune
    replied
    The problem is that a just society can't be arbitrary with respect to punishment.

We can't sentence someone for their crime and then capriciously decide that we're still offended and alter the punishment when it's set to expire.

It is always tragic when someone loses their life to violence. It's inexcusable and outrageous for anyone to treat another human being with such complete disregard. But we must at least allow for the possibility of redemption. 28 years of his life doesn't make up for the cost his victims and their families paid. But we don't set people free because the scales are balanced. We set them free so they have the opportunity to walk the path of redemption, to allow them to try to make up for that which can't be made right.

Many people don't and never will. But some few will do great good in the world trying to atone for the evil they've done. For those people and for those of us not doing evil, we need to allow that possibility.

Leave a comment:

• mr_e
    replied
    Originally posted by voidspawn View Post
    I remember this case. The police did a first at the time, doing a mass collection of DNA evidence. Pitchfork paid another man to stand in for him and give his DNA, this was reported to the police by a witness and led to the arrest. A very strong case was established against Pitchfork as a double rapist and murderer. He had other form too from exposing himself to sexual assault he admitted to. 28 years for lives of two innocent girls and released at 56 years old seems too lenient. It should have been in my opinion a case of life means life. Since the sentence came after appeal that reduced from 30 years to 28, I don't know what the government can do now, the problem stands with the sentencing then. No idea how the parole assessment works out that he's now safe, but it should definitely be a factor in whether he's released or not. The case against him was solid, but here today I can't see how his release can be blocked.

Yes, that's why I have a problem with it. On the one hand he's served his time-- but on the other hand, it seems repugnant to let someone walk the earth free who could do such a thing to anybody-- girls or boys. Or grownups even for that matter.

Leave a comment:

• TheDarkMan
    replied
    I haven't got a daughter, and I know how I feel about it. These mad cunts pilloried Ched Evans for having sex with a drunken slag yet when it comes to a real crime they don't want to know.

Leave a comment:

• voidspawn
    replied
    I remember this case. The police did a first at the time, doing a mass collection of DNA evidence. Pitchfork paid another man to stand in for him and give his DNA, this was reported to the police by a witness and led to the arrest. A very strong case was established against Pitchfork as a double rapist and murderer. He had other form too from exposing himself to sexual assault he admitted to. 28 years for lives of two innocent girls and released at 56 years old seems too lenient. It should have been in my opinion a case of life means life. Since the sentence came after appeal that reduced from 30 years to 28, I don't know what the government can do now, the problem stands with the sentencing then. No idea how the parole assessment works out that he's now safe, but it should definitely be a factor in whether he's released or not. The case against him was solid, but here today I can't see how his release can be blocked.

Leave a comment:

• mr_e
    replied
    I am not sure how I feel about this.

Leave a comment:

• TheDarkMan
    started a topic Rapist and double murderer to be released

Rapist and double murderer to be released

And curiously, the usual suspects are silent:

https://news.wikinut.com/Colin-Pitch...oled/3jnc_r37/
Working...
X