Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This school won't charge women programmers for tuition until after they land jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polite_disagreement
    replied
    I teach English classes, free, to the local Mexicans where I live, in a small Third World mountain village. Three years ago, I had two sisters, the elder around 18, the kid around 12. After Laubach books, they wanted something on computers. Since I couldn't find anything much on-line, I made up my own stuff from personal knowledge. (I started on microprocessors around 1974.)

As we went on, I decided to add some programming, using Java; C++; and BASIC. We did some stuff on Standard Deviations and random number generations. (C++ until the 2011 update did not produce good random numbers.) When an American or British woman can't handle what a 12 year old Mexican girl from the mountains can handle, well, you tell me what to think.

Leave a comment:

• mr_e
    replied
    Originally posted by cpb View Post
    Must be illegal, surely.
    It probably is.

Leave a comment:

• cpb
    replied
    Must be illegal, surely.

Leave a comment:

• mr_e
    replied
    Just like everything that Feminism does-- engineered sexism.

Leave a comment:

• voidspawn
    replied
    So the deferred payment option is nothing new... the only innovation is women only.

Hopper Academy is teaching JavaScript, a popular language that is in high demand. But if it's not the language the woman wants to learn, this program isn't for her.
    And, the school is also not accepting beginners. It requires students to have some background in coding.
    So it's JavaScript only conversion course. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and suggest that people who can program in other languages can generally learn JS for themselves, and there's tonnes of free material to help them. At 22.5% of first year salary where they are expecting in excess of $16K, this sounds an like agency front or a bit scam like.

So it's sexist, scam like, seeking free publicity and fake virtue signalling. How very feminist.

Leave a comment:

• Mifune
    replied
    Normally this school charges $15,680 for its 21-week full-time program, and discounts tuition by $1,000 for women and veterans.
    So being born with a vagina demands the same level of respect as serving your country?

I'd tell every man that wants the same deal to simply tell the school that they identify as female.

Leave a comment:

• This school won't charge women programmers for tuition until after they land jobs

This school won't charge women programmers for tuition until after they land jobs
    http://www.businessinsider.com/schoo...coders-2015-10
Working...
X