X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biological dad returns daughter to adoptive parents

Biological dad returns 4-year-old Veronica to adoptive parents

CNN news story

"(CNN) -- The 4-year-old girl at the center of a lengthy, high-profile custody dispute between her Native American father and her adoptive parents has been returned to the couple, an attorney for the biological father said Monday.

Earlier in the day, the Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled Dusten Brown, the girl's father, must return the girl, named Veronica, to Matt and Melanie Capobianco, who live in South Carolina."....

I tried to post this reply in the CNN comments section but for some reason my posts keep getting deleted or lost in moderation

Summary: Unwed biological fathers have no legal parental rights in South Carolina. I am now curious how they treat child support obligations for those same biological fathers?

The US supreme court transcripts are here:

ADOPTIVE COUPLE v. BABY GIRL

Fact: Biological fathers have no parental rights in South Carolina unless he is already married to the mother at birth.
    See S. C. Code Ann.

RE: Biological dad returns daughter to adoptive parents

Sorry...that just rubs me raw.

Comment

How the shit can a law like that be on the books? I smell a class action suit that should be filed for gender discrimination and let that shit go to SCOTUS.

Comment

I agree that "federal law does not define an unwed biological father as a parent" is a huge problem, but if there was a legal adoption, do you really think that the biological father should still have parental rights and responsibilities?
        The ancient shitposter returns.

Comment

So CNN did a fucking shitty job covering this story.

Here's the problem. The feds are in direct control over the lives of the Natives and shit all over their rights. All of them. If this had been a white guy, this probably wouldn't have happened. Even with Carolina's shitty laws. The first thing that needs to happen is the Feds give the reservations to the people of the tribes, and end their reign of tyranny over them. Give them the ability to fight custody battles in court and for cryin' out loud just let them be.
          I pick fights with stupid.

sigpic

Comment

This is why reservations still exist. These people are still taking shit from white people and they are still seeking relief from the abuses of the laws being twisted against their human rights.
            Note: I'm not trying to generalize things, but that's the basic gist of their problems.
            Respect is earned by giving respect

Comment

Originally posted by Zyavol
              This is why reservations still exist. These people are still taking shit from white people and they are still seeking relief from the abuses of the laws being twisted against their human rights.
              Note: I'm not trying to generalize things, but that's the basic gist of their problems.
              If you get rid of the government mandated and controlled reservation it's much harder to shit on them. It's not about white people vs. natives. It's about government control on EVERYONE.
              I pick fights with stupid.

sigpic

Comment

Maybe so. They could still keep the land just for sanctuary purposes, just take the laws and regulation out of it. They don't ban other people but they are seeking friendly people.
                Also, I probably should've just said corrupt federal government instead of "white people."
                Respect is earned by giving respect

Comment

Originally posted by asci_Blue
                  How the shit can a law like that be on the books? I smell a class action suit that should be filed for gender discrimination and let that shit go to SCOTUS.
                  The SCOTUS already decided this case. They can't decide it again due to res judicata.
                  The law perverted! And the police powers of the state perverted along with it! The law, I say, not only turned from its proper purpose but made to follow an entirely contrary purpose!\" -Bastiat

Comment

Working...
                  X