Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Life Insurance Ads Misandrist

Hi guys,
    The following is a link to a misandrist virgin money ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE070NA7m0M

http://www.adstandards.com.au/process/theprocesssteps/initiatingacomplaint

I've sent a complaint to the Australian advertising standards:

http://www.adstandards.com.au/process/theprocesssteps/initiatingacomplaint

It shows a man bumbling around with a child seat in a car and unable to do it. So a woman comes and fixes it and then comments on how easy it is. Then the man says life insurance is too hard. And the woman says how easy it is. Then the man says comments how he would be absolutely hopeless without the woman.

The advertisement is misandrist. It portrays men as useless idiots who cannot do anything without women. This advertisement is incredibly sexist and promotes hatred and disdain towards men. This is misandry and EITHER we have many commercials which also show women as useless idiots who are completely brainless and need men or OTHERWISE we BAN this commercial.

For simplicity email communication back to me is the most efficient form. Thanks kindly. Jay.

If you guys also want to help out and put a complaint about these virgin life misandrist ads then just use the link above and write in as well, the ads are usually showing during the Channel 10 5pm news on most weeknights.

And what do people think of these sexist advertisements?

Personally, as with my complaint, if we have occasions where women are portrayed this way, then it's not a gender issue. Unfortunately we pretty much only have men and boys portrayed this way in the media.

BOYCOTT VIRGIN MONEY I say.

Cheers,
    Jay
    [hr]
    Also note:
    http://antimisandry.com/discrimination-sexist-double-standards/virgin-money-44402.html#axzz2DaiudJkg

Antimisandry.com had a section detailing these misandrist advertisements on Australian TV. Seems like Virgin can go on doing what it wants because it is okay to portray men as stupid and worthless scumbags, but NO we cannot portray women that way - that'd be sexist.

RE: Virgin Life Insurance Ads Misandrist

Yep it's misandric.

Companies are too afriad to offend women, or minorities...so anyway that they were looking to stage that ad....the white middle aged guy was always going to be the target. Of course they fail to realise the over saturation of misandry and stereotypes placed in the piece...

Comment

Hey guys,
      Just letting you know I'm progressing with my complaint about this misandrist advertisement. Here's an excerpt of the letter I received in the post.

2. Advertiser: Virgin Money (Aust) Pty Ltd
      Dear xx xxxxx,
      Thank you for your correspondence concerning the above advertisement. The Advertising Standards Board (the Board) considers complaints about advertisements which may breach one or more industry Codes. The list of Codes and issues covered by the Codes are available at http://www.adstandards.com.au/pages/page16.asp. Issues covered by the Codes include: discrimination or vilification of people; use of offensive language; inappropriate use of sex, sexuality or nudity; unjustified violence; and depictions that would breach community standards on health and safety. The Board also considers a range of issues related to advertising of motor vehicles, food and beverages, advertising to children and environmental claims. The Board uses Section 2 of the Advertiser Code of Ethics as the basis of its determinations. As your complaint raises issues under Section 2 of the AANA Code of Ethics, it is scheduled for submission to the Advertising Standards Board. A copy of it will be provided to all members of the Board in order to help them in their determination of your complaint. We will also send a copy of your correspondence to the advertiser in question for comment. Any comments we receive from the advertiser will be submitted to the Board for consideration together with your complaint. If you have requested confidentiality when submitting your complaint, your personal details will not be disclosed to the members of the Board or the advertiser. However details of your complaint may be made available to researchers from time to time to enable the ASB to remain up to date on community attitudes and concerns about advertising. Your personal details are kept strictly confidential and secure. Reports prepared by the researchers will not contain personal details but statistical information only, relating to community attitudes and concerns. I will let you know the Board

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
        Hey guys,
        Just letting you know I'm progressing with my complaint about this misandrist advertisement. [...]
        Spot on! good on you,mate.

hm... the ASB states it cannot (obviously) take action on adverts seen outside of Oz, but that it can accept anonymous complaints. Doesn't say whether it will entertain complaints coming from outside Oz, about Ozzie ads, though.

It may be an idea for you to set a disposable email accounts for interested people here on AVfM, using an Oz-based ISP, or summat that requires us to log on to Ozzie hosts to send mail...

Name us realistic names such as William Branham, James Rathcliffe, Ellen Simmonds, John McAlpine,etc. (make up your own) ,aged 25-59,living in <wherever>...

then PM us with the url where to log on , and the email address and password ...

If each of us send an email, with Oz-hosted origins, even as anonymous, these complaints may seem more credible and may be added to your complaint (you can keep track of replies yourself, as you'll have access details)

(Just an idea... LOL)
        [hr]
        hm...

http://www.aana.com.au/data/Document...s_1Jan2012.pdf

2. Section 2 Consumer Complaints2
        2.1 Advertising or Marketing Communications shall not portray people or depict material in a way which discriminates against or vilifies a person or section of the community on account of race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, age, sexual preference, religion, disability, mental illness or political belief.

[quote=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vilify]vil
        "Dad, why is it 'Fatherland', but 'mother-tongue' ?" ... "Son, because Men build civilisation. Women talk."
        Feminism is just another Apartheid: legally-sanctioned discrimination.

Comment

So misandric, just like the vast majority of ads out there. In fact, it would be better to make a big deal when you come across an ad that's not misandric.

Comment

It really is crazy how many of these commercials ,and pretty much everything else on the TV these days is so Misandric. There have to be large percentages of the population that notice this crap. But just as suspected you hardly ever hear about it.

Comment

Cheers for the feedback everyone. If you are in Australia, I strongly encourage you to add to my voice and complain about this whole series of advertisements.

I've done some further investigation and identified the following:
              The director of the advertisement is Deborah Niski and she is from "The Works" advertising agency.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL9E2Pusq6o
              Libby Fleming also appears to be with "The Works" and is also associated with this advertisement.

Website for the advertising agency is http://www.theworkssydney.com/
              Their contacts: +61 2 9459 4500: [email protected]

I think this agency should also be accountable like Virgin Money Life Insurance. It's difficult to say whether this agency and Deborah Niski pushed forward this marketing strategy and advertising strategy of encouraging disdain and hatred towards males, or that was a directive given to them. In my experience the advertising agency is often responsible.

Comment

any progress on getting the actual ads binned ?
                "Dad, why is it 'Fatherland', but 'mother-tongue' ?" ... "Son, because Men build civilisation. Women talk."
                Feminism is just another Apartheid: legally-sanctioned discrimination.

Comment

Haven't received further correspondence since Christmas as of yet. PaperrerpaP pointed out other insurance ads which are misandrist too. They are by 1st for women, a company which only insures women and likes to denigrate men as inferior beings who should not be insured. Below in one example, apparently there are a whole series of advertisements they run where they denigrate men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Cap2w-Dus

Comment

I want to start a register of good and bad adds and start identifying perpetrators and patterns.

Do we have a place for that here and is there someone who can advise me how to set it up?
                    Winter is coming.

Comment

We should also find out what advertising firms are being contracted to make these ads. Remember, a lot of these corporations may not create these ads in house.

Writing the main corporation about how their product is being poorly advertised might make them either disapprove those ads, or change firms.

Comment

Guys.

I looked up the person who posted the first video and it is the actress who played the woman's part. She has a profile in Australian Television and irregular parts in various shows,

Please DO NOT abuse her!

Please POLITELY go and tell her what you think of the portrayal of men in modern advertising. Encourage her to find out more.

This is a chance to get a message into the Australian acting community that enough is enough. If we can get actors talking the word will spread to their agents, producers, directors and advertising companies.

That will do more good than an angry rant.

One small domino. Planting a seed.
                        Winter is coming.

Comment

Everyone, my complaint has been dismissed, please read below and advise me on how best to appeal this ruling. For mine, it is patent that if the genders were reversed the complaint would not be dismissed. It says that the advertisement is only being negative about "this particular man" and not men in general, yet when a woman is portrayed in this negative and pejorative light, it is then transformed into meaning that this is about women in general. That is sexism - it's okay to portray men negatively because that is only sexist against that man, not all men, but if a woman is portrayed negatively it means it is a negative against all women.

Please read below and respond with suggestions. Thanks.

We refer to your complaint regarding the above advertisement.
                          The Advertising Standards Board reviewed the advertisement and considered your complaint at its
                          recent meeting. We have to advise you that the Board did not uphold your complaint.
                          A copy of the case report reflecting the Board

Comment

[quote=Jay]
                            We conducted consumer research into the advertisement with the target market. The feedback
                            received was that 77% of respondents stated they were either

Comment

Thoughts.

The board is looking at this advertisement in isolation of a general pattern and can not see a pattern of abuse. The comment is it is a humorous stereotype and a single example.

The board did not establish harm was being caused.

They are also responding to a complaint from a single person.

If we are going to get the board to accept such protrayals are harmful we are going to have to establish in the mind of the board members there is a pattern of abuse. That means either demonstrating a single agency or product has a consistent pattern of portraying men negatively.

We also need to demonstrate harm is being caused and there is probably a prevailing attitude that men don't get harmed by stereotypes.

The fact the complaint was not supported does not mean it has not had an effect. The agency was forced to recognise the complaint and respond which would have caused them some concern.

If we want to beat this we are going to need to demonstrate a pattern of abuse either by multiple
                              Winter is coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X