X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian origin woman sentenced to 20 years for setting husband on fire

In reverse order of chronology:

Sentencing:http://www.kvue.com/home/Sentencing-...249459791.html

Not guilty of capital murder: http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Capit...249257591.html

Timeline :http://www.examiner.com/list/shriya-...b-murder-trial

Bimal Patel, 29, died at the burn center of the San Antonio Military Medical Center, nearly five months after incident on April 17, 2012.
    Shriya Patel, 27, who has been incarcerated on $1 million bail since her arrest nearly two years ago, stands charged with capital murder, arson with intent to cause bodily injury or death and aggravated asssault. She faces a sentence of automatic life in prison without parole if convicted of capital murder
    Austin police Sgt. Christine Chomout said officers answered a 911 call Tuesday at 9:15 p.m. at the Camden Huntingdon apartments, 12349 Metric Blvd. Witnesses who were driving through the complex reported that a man was on a balcony screaming for help, Patel's arrest affidavit said.
    The affidavit said that a caller told police they heard him screaming, "Why would you burn me?" and, "All I wanted to do was love you."
    In April, her husband, Bimel Patel, told police his wife offered to give him a massage and then poured gasoline on him. Candles inside their North Austin apartment lit him on fire.
    Prosecutors say Shriya Patel lured her husband Bimal Patel to the bathroom for a massage, doused him with gasoline and set him on fire. Defense attorneys argue Bimal did it to himself and forced Shriya to help.
    Shriya Patel has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
    On Monday a jury convicted Patel of arson, but found her not guilty of capital murder in the death of her husband in April 2012.
    By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

Is it just me, or are attorneys the most bold-faced bullshitters known to man? Did it to himself and forced her to help? Do they actually think anyone is going to fall for that, or is their defense really that weak?
    Last edited by Nateyj11; 03-11-2014, 09:43 PM.
    Disillusionment: Another word for reality.

Comment

From Shannon Murray twitter (KVUE reporter covering this trial):
      Judge accepted the jury's recommendation for 20 years in prison. Prosecutors are bringing in 1 person for allocution.
      Patel will serve at least 1/4 of the sentence (5 years) before she's eligible for parole. She's already served 2 yrs.
      Juror told reporters this was not an easy decision but he believes justice was served.

Comment

So 3 more years and she could get out of jail on parole.So much for justice and fairness.

Comment

Working...
        X