Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victim Rights Act Canada...

I know nothing!

All I know, is something is going on, and CBC is going to talk about it, tomorrow I think; something about streamlining the VRA. Take it for what you will; it concerns me, but that's because I know nothing of it in the first place. If there's a lawyer here who can translate the VRA into proper moron, I would feel better about shrugging it off or getting bent outta shape over it. So... I guess this is a "heads up!"
    RWBY is Legend. Honey Badgers

Women Against Feminism.

Logic trumps ignorance, but emotion retards edification.

Originally posted by Shadizar View Post
    I know nothing!

All I know, is something is going on, and CBC is going to talk about it, tomorrow I think; something about streamlining the VRA. Take it for what you will; it concerns me, but that's because I know nothing of it in the first place. If there's a lawyer here who can translate the VRA into proper moron, I would feel better about shrugging it off or getting bent outta shape over it. So... I guess this is a "heads up!"

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/spous...bill-1.1759172

Reading it right now.

Edit:

I'm really torn about this with such little info given and no link to the actual bill. There are some stipulations that I am against but might be in favour of if the right conditions were applied.

Like Victims receiving up to date images of the convicted is a terrible idea if that person is going to use the image for malicious intents but is great if the victim is bound to keep it private because it could save someone from retaliation.

Also I have no problem with compelling spouses to testify as long as the information being compelled would have come from another source that is unable to speak. So they can't ask about something they said in their bed, but something they said at a party seems reasonable.

Even as someone who has been on the bad side of the judicial system I still feel that real victims need to have support and protection from real criminals and it's all about context.
    Last edited by godtherapist; 04-03-2014, 08:23 PM.
    I'm So Meta Even This Acronymn

Comment

The elimination of spousal privilege is a fundamental assault on the nature of marriage. Unlike gay rights and gay marriage - eliminating that is saying marriage means nothing.

What a disgusting and degenerate culture you guys have up there in Canada.
      Last edited by Androgen; 04-03-2014, 09:12 PM.
      "Women are like that they dont acquire knowledge of people we are for that they are just born with a practical fertility of suspicion that makes a crop every so often and usually right they have an affinity for evil for supplying whatever the evil lacks in itself for drawing it about them instinctively as you do bed-clothing in slumber fertilising the mind for it until the evil has served its purpose whether it ever existed or no" - William Faulkner

Comment

Originally posted by Androgen View Post
        The elimination of spousal privilege is a fundamental assault on the nature of marriage. Unlike gay rights and gay marriage - eliminating that is saying marriage means nothing.

What a disgusting and degenerate culture you guys have up there in Canada.
        What exactly is "the nature of marriage"?

As far as I know marriage is nothing but a contract between two people and the government that explains the nature of the merger of two estates.
        I'm So Meta Even This Acronymn

Comment

I'm torn on that. At best, it's a make work project; it will create more government jobs to keep on top of these things in the best possible way for everybody. However, I'm not that much of an optimist; I can see that being used in one direction, and more innocent men will be demonized in the name of keeping the "victims"... victims.
          RWBY is Legend. Honey Badgers

Women Against Feminism.

Logic trumps ignorance, but emotion retards edification.

Comment

Working...
          X