Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does more suicide attempts equal lower likelihood of committing suicide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does more suicide attempts equal lower likelihood of committing suicide?

Hey, everyone.

I'm wondering whether anyone has information regarding whether or not the number of times an individual attempts suicide has any bearing on their statistical likelihood to commit suicide (and die from it) in the future? Reason I ask is since the suicide attempt rate is much higher in women than it is in men, but the rate of deaths from suicide are much higher in men than they are in women, so there must be something I'm missing here.

[I've been intensely interested in suicide rates lately ever since realising that LGBT organisations only provide research which shows that suicide attempt rates are higher and that no information exists concerning death rates from suicide. Yep, it's a fucking grim topic to be google searching for days on end and I'm sure the only reason I'm able to do it is because I'm mentally ill or some shit]

Originally posted by Cam_Schwz View Post
    I'm wondering whether anyone has information regarding whether or not the number of times an individual attempts suicide has any bearing on their statistical likelihood to commit suicide (and die from it) in the future?
    I don't have any information, sry; but googling "do suicide attempts predict suicide?" brings up a score of seemingly relevant hits.
    From what little I have had time to read, my impression is that when a "suicide attempt" is part of a pattern of "self-harming", the actual suicide rate is rather low.

Many people who take their own life have a history of psych. disorder, but most people with a psych. disorder do not take their own life. And so on for other factors.
    IOW, the experts' verdict is that there are few reliable indicators of suicide (although there are a few short-term ones, "grabbing rope, going to the barn" type).
    AFAICS this includes suicide attempts. So, while some who commit suicide have tried before, many who have tried do not commit suicide.

My impression from RL stories is that a some suicides are either unsurprising due to a history of mental disorders and/or drugs, but many are _completely_ unexpected.
    The in-between, self-harming Emo Cry For Help is not the preferred MO among boys and men, I guess.

M

Comment

Over the course of the Same-Sex marriage debate in Australia, I would cringe every time some news article or television spot that showed up in my news feed talked about how suicidal all the LGBT teenagers will be if we don't give them marriage. Like, how the fuck don't we know that putting that up in the first place is all that's influencing them to believe they are emotional basket cases and just drives up the attempt rates in the first place?

Most people make absolutely no distinction between suicide attempts and deaths from suicide, and I think this direly needs to be pointed out, otherwise resources will continue to go down the drain while they should be being funnelled into men's health. LGBT organisations are lying through their teeth when they say they need funding because of how suicidal we all are, particularly because most people are under the false impression that high attempt rates mean higher death rates, when from everything I can see it means the exact opposite.

No one wants to say this because they are worried about coming across as harsh and unfeeling, but fuck, what's more harsh and unfeeling? Letting people die or convincing overly-dramatic people they need help?

Comment

I found this https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi....ajp.161.3.562

But it does say that attempt rates equal higher risk of completed suicide. I just don't get it, though, how can this mean the female attempt rate is higher than the male? Is it that male attempt rates are underreported and not recorded?

Comment

lgbtq have higher suicide rates b/c they cant marry, my ass.

rumour has it divorce is a cause of suicide.

in fact, in Canada gay marriage was legalized due to the popular belief, lgbqt has as much right to be miserable as anyone else.

if you want to advocate gay marriage that's the actual argument no one disputes.

as for suicde, women attempt more for attention or call for help, men just do it. but sure I would say attempted suicde puts ya in a higher risk group for actual suicde,, like wouldn't ya think. like do ya really need a study for that.
          Last edited by menrppl2; 04-22-2018, 07:19 AM.
          A man can gain no more respect than by, laying down his life for a woman. And a woman, no more than by, beating down a man. For a man to ask, what is fair and good and true and just, is to offend.

Comment

If your'e gonna do a job, do it once, do it right.

...or yr probably dickless
            "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
            "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

"What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam

Comment

Working...
            X