already complaints about "male dominated" Star Wars Episode 7 cast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• already complaints about "male dominated" Star Wars Episode 7 cast

the SW7 cast has been announced today and there are already complaints about it being too "male dominated". Just thought it would be funny to share

http://badassdigest.com/2014/04/29/w...ber-get-to-be/

Women make up 51% of the population of this planet. We can extrapolate that even in a galaxy far, far away and in a time that is long ago that ratio is somewhat the same. So why is Star Wars Episode VII so very, very dude-y?
    This film introduces eight major new characters to the saga (there are likely many more characters, but only the really vital ones were at the table read today - leads and important supporting characters), but only one of them is a woman. And the law of storytelling averages shows us that her role in this film will, in some capacity, be as a love interest to one of the seven men. She might even be caught in a love triangle, reminiscent of the original Star Wars trilogy (never rule out useless echoes and symetry in either Star Wars or JJ Abrams films).
    Having only one female lead is pretty standard for the saga - both the original and prequel trilogies allowed only one major woman into the mix. This time it might be different depending on the size of Carrie Fisher's role - we might actually have two female leads! That would be groundbreaking, I guess.

Yes, because sticking to the safe gender role has always been heroic, and moved mountains and toppled tyrants and what have you. These fucking broads need to grow up and read some history; stories of "greatness" always came at the cost of lives, and women usually weren't in that mix.
    RWBY is Legend. Honey Badgers

Women Against Feminism.

Logic trumps ignorance, but emotion retards edification.

Comment

We should make a movie about how Marie Curie killed herself with her science, and to this day her notes are too radioactive to handle.

Would make an awesome NAWALT female superhero movie.. and PLUS it satisfies the gender requirement in a STEM field.
      _

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.

Comment

That would definitely inspire women to the STEM fields!!! Let's do it.
        RWBY is Legend. Honey Badgers

Women Against Feminism.

Logic trumps ignorance, but emotion retards edification.

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/...flat/229039129

lol at women are not given opportunity to be scientists. They are getting special help for that! I am arguing with that guy there

Comment

Good!
            Gynocentric Sci Fi movies don't make that much money anyway. "UltraViolet" was garbage, "SuckerPunch" was garbage shall I go on?

Comment

Aeon Flux was fucking awesome as an MTV short. It fucking bombed as a feature length film
              _

Comment

Originally posted by Underscore View Post
                Aeon Flux was fucking awesome as an MTV short. It fucking bombed as a feature length film
                Yes, the cartoon series created by Peter Chung was excellent but the movie was a turd!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor
                  That's the funny thing about memory, isn't it? We are not what we remember of ourselves, we are what people say we are. They project upon us their convictions. We are nothing but blank screens.
                  AEON FLUX, "Reraisure"
                  _

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/...flat/229039129

Originally posted by BraveheartIsTheWorst
                    The "Star Wars fans are virgins" stereotype is more true than you think. Star Wars fans can't handle girls in real life, much less a powerful Jedi female.

Think of it this way - 60% of the people who saw The Avengers at the theaters were male. 49% of the people who saw The Dark Knight at the theaters were female. 50% of the people who saw the original Spider-Man in theaters were female.

The Avengers, like Star Wars, is female repellant.
                    Let's see, the main cast for "The Dark Knight" was: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and Maggie Gyllenhaal. One actress out of seven total actors and somehow 49% of the people willing to see it in theaters were women. I wonder if there isn't a connection.

Comment

The only complaint I have is that they're making a 7th Star Wars in the first place.
                      The law perverted! And the police powers of the state perverted along with it! The law, I say, not only turned from its proper purpose but made to follow an entirely contrary purpose!\" -Bastiat

Comment

Women make up 51% of the population of this planet. We can extrapolate that even in a galaxy far, far away and in a time that is long ago that ratio is somewhat the same. So why is Star Wars Episode VII so very, very dude-y?
                        This film introduces eight major new characters to the saga (there are likely many more characters, but only the really vital ones were at the table read today - leads and important supporting characters), but only one of them is a woman.
                        Ah, numbers game, how I love thee. If you've got nothing else to whine about, the numbers game is your best friend. But it also reveals a lot about you. Such as "sex" being your one defining characteristic for a line-up. Very, very revealing of that mind behind the butthurt.

Anyhow: That galaxy far, far away features personal grooming tools from a very civilized age (because you are not civilized if you cannot trim your manly beard with a lightsabre). Unfortunately, those grooming tools have a distressing tendency to not only separate a "dude" from his excess hair but also to separate body parts, melt down blast doors and deflect blaster bolts into other dudes (who apparently are not as well groomed as the sabre-wielder since they gotta hide their face behind helmets). Now, we all know that is par for the course of dudeness: Shave, lose a limb or three, fall into a space vagina that digests you for a millennium or two, get stabbed, sliced and diced, choked to death or otherwise amusingly injured-slash-killed.

Dudettes, on the other hand... sorry, women, get a few decorative and light scratches at best. No chopping off of hands, arms, beards or choking to death for them. And I bet you doughnuts to wookienuts (are wookies so hairy because they don't have civilized, personal grooming tools?) that the [strike]parsec[/strike] millisec half the main cast is female, and more than one of them die (one is permissible under the "adds a fuckton of drama" rule, but be sure it isn't too violent or gory - see Padme "losing her will to live"), the people sobbing about that "dud-ey main cast" take a deep breath, point those freshly-sharpened fingers and cry the wail of doom: "Misogyny!"

Whatever you do as a writer: You are fucked if you even listen to those shrieking harridans. Or harridors. Don't.
                        And to the harridans/Harridors? If "what percentage of the cast is female?" is an indicator to you about a movie's quality, let alone something to be made a fuss about: You are fucking morons.
                        Last edited by Andres; 04-30-2014, 01:24 AM.
                        12/12/12 -The day Germany decided boys are not quite human.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuberi View Post
                          Good!
                          Gynocentric Sci Fi movies don't make that much money anyway. "UltraViolet" was garbage, "SuckerPunch" was garbage shall I go on?
                          Hunger Games is sci-fi and that made more money than Ironman last year.

Comment

Maybe movie directors should start using women as the nameless grunts who are slaughtered en masse by the protagonists, after all, women are vastly underrepresented in this area.
                            Last edited by Mazerolle; 04-30-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I was actually hoping for a few more female leads. Only because I was wanted a few EU to survive the obvious destruction this move is going to lay onto the EU. I really don't think the composition of races and genders in a cast really is that big of a deal and it's a rather silly thing to care about. I was hoping Mara Jade would be there. But... either that's still a secret, or she's not going to be there. I was also hoping for some like Tahari and Danni Quee. Let some EU characters make it into the new canon. I'm thinking all we're getting is the Solo twins Jacen and Jaina (two of the cast members resemble them). I am not sure about the younger one Anakin (named after his grandfather for those who don't know). Honestly though he was never an interesting character and I'd be happy with the twins. Of any characters in the EU, the twins MUST make it into the new canon. But maybe the others will too and they're simple not prominent enough characters to be considered part of the lead cast?

See... there I went and geeked out! This is what this stuff should be about, liking the material and looking forward to it instead of complaining that it doesn't fit your political agenda. I suppose they have nothing better to do but exploit everything.
                              "Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein
                              sigpic
                              "Freedom of speech is a principal pillar of a free government; when this support is taken away, the constitution of a free society is dissolved, and tyranny is erected on its ruins." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X