• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The internet is sexist?

Hi guys,

I ran across this article on slate today:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...gamergate.html

It's talks about one of my favorite topics: The effect that gaming (internet and otherwise) has on our young men. This article acknowledges the problem: guy in his underwear in the basement (probably his parents house), and the cause. And that just goes to show how sexist the internet is ... against women!

Huh?

Is the internet sexist? Yes, but it goes both ways - unfortunately you can't tell that to feminists.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric.W View Post
      Is the internet sexist? Yes, but it goes both ways - unfortunately you can't tell that to feminists.
      the internet isn't sexist, or racist, or gender/sexuality phobic

the internet hates everyone equally and each in their own special way.
      "It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by SuiGeneris View Post
        Hi guys,

I ran across this article on slate today:
        http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...gamergate.html

It's talks about one of my favorite topics: The effect that gaming (internet and otherwise) has on our young men. This article acknowledges the problem: guy in his underwear in the basement (probably his parents house), and the cause. And that just goes to show how sexist the internet is ... against women!

Huh?
        Oh man. That parents basement in underwear part is very amusing. I guess in addition the underwears are dirty from both sides and hopelessly out of fashion. Clearly this article is the work of an expert. Well, expert in comedy.

I'm pretty certain that this internet thing isn't but just a code/network of wires that allows people and businesses to keep fast live interactive contacts/connections to eachother even if they would be on the otherside of the world. Well fast connections in some places and slow on others.

The thing i would criticize games and internet is about how (too) fun, addictive and informative they are. A good game and especially good company with it and hours fly by too quickly. Also interesting internet sites and forums makes time fly by too fast. To counter this negative and unfair effect that time flys by too fast, i would suggest that gamers and heavy internet users should have their own customised day cycle and clock different from others. One that would have enough hours on it to not feel that effect of time flying by too fast. That way they wouldn't be discriminated by the unfair and inconsiderate day cycle and clock that originally didn't take account of gamers and heavy internet users.

Comment

Originally posted by NotViking? View Post
          I'm pretty certain that this internet thing isn't but just a code/network of wires that allows people and businesses to keep fast live interactive contacts/connections to eachother even if they would be on the otherside of the world. Well fast connections in some places and slow on others.

The thing i would criticize games and internet is about how (too) fun, addictive and informative they are. A good game and especially good company with it and hours fly by too quickly. Also interesting internet sites and forums makes time fly by too fast. To counter this negative and unfair effect that time flys by too fast, i would suggest that gamers and heavy internet users should have their own customised day cycle and clock different from others. One that would have enough hours on it to not feel that effect of time flying by too fast. That way they wouldn't be discriminated by the unfair and inconsiderate day cycle and clock that originally didn't take account of gamers and heavy internet users.
          Well, sure. I'm not suggesting we start picketing electrons for being a bunch of bigots. But from what I've observed, the other things you mentioned, particularly the games, have a disproportionate deleterious effect on young men. Our boys are getting the one-two punch here, or maybe one-two-one-two. First there is a K-12 education system that is increasingly being skewed toward girls (http://educationnext.org/gender-gap/). Then, there is lack of male role models (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...new-study.html). Third, a lack of peer pressure to go to college (first reference again). Finally, games come along an offer relatively cheaply all the things my generation struggled a lifetime for, money, power, reputation -- and which are farther out of reach now because of the first three punches. And unlike heroin, it's legal!
          Last edited by SuiGeneris; 10-23-2014, 07:25 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Jack H. View Post
            the internet isn't sexist, or racist, or gender/sexuality phobic

the internet hates everyone equally and each in their own special way.
            I take my previous comment back. The internet is a nice place where we can all hold hands, sing kumbaya, and paint each other's toenails.

Comment

Working...
            X