#ShirtGate - The Catch-22 of Feminism and Men's fashion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #ShirtGate - The Catch-22 of Feminism and Men's fashion

Behold, two timely stories of Feminists freaking out about something unbelievably trivial. See if you can spot the theme:

"I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, your shirt is sexist and ostracizing"
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7...-back-progress

"Zuckerberg Explains His Gray T-Shirts, Sounds Pretty Sexist"
    http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/11/zuck...ds-sexist.html

A number of the scientists involved on this incredible project were interviewed in the hours leading to contact by Nature Newsteam. One of those Rosetta scientists was Matt Taylor, who chose to dress, for this special occasion, in a bowling shirt covered in scantly clad caricatures of sexy women in provocative poses.

No one knows why Taylor chose to wear that shirt on television during a massive scientific mission. From what we can tell, a woman who goes by the name of Elly Prizeman on Twitter made the shirt for him, and is just as bewildered as he must be that anyone might be upset about her creation.

This is the sort of casual misogyny that stops women from entering certain scientific fields. They see a guy like that on TV and they don't feel welcome.
    Steve Jobs had his simple black turtlenecks, Twitter’s Jack Dorsey had his sharp Prada suit, and Mark Zuckerberg has his uniform of nondescript, plain gray T-shirts. At a recent Q&A session, someone finally asked him why he seems to have a lifetime supply of inoffensive, poorly fitting gray tees.

His answer: “I’m in this really lucky position where I get to wake up every day and help serve more than a billion people. And I’d feel I’m not doing my job if I spent any of my energy on things that are silly or frivolous about my life.”

Burn, Zuckerberg! Is it just me or does the mindset of the Silicon Valley Power-Schlub imply that caring about clothing or how you look invalidates your ability to work? Of course, male CEOs are far too focused on changing the world or building the next Big App to care about something as “silly” or “frivolous” as dressing professionally — they’ll just leave that to Marissa Mayer.
    Okay, Feminists, I give up. What can a successful, hardworking, male innovator place around his torso, WITHOUT people like you finding fault with him, and freaking out over his fashion choices?? As you've proven, in the span of a mere 48 hours, it is just as problematic for a man to wear a flashy, expressive, colorful shirt, as it is for him to wear an incredibly PLAIN and casual one. Because the former makes him a sexist chauvinist pig (even though the shirt was made or him by a FEMALE friend), and the latter indicates that he has personal DISDAIN and disrespect for professional people (read subconsciously as 'women') who spend a significant amount of time focusing on their appearance and attire.

What more proof does the world need, that Feminism has completely and undeniably jumped the shark - confirming, without a doubt, that it lacks both credibility AND consistency? Everything a man ever does is up for bitter, snarky criticism from Feminists, 24-7, 365.

You want more proof? Here:

"UWM fitness center has banned sleeveless shirts because they’re “intimidating” "
    http://milwaukeerecord.com/city-life...-intimidating/

Is there anything more terrifying than walking into a gym in order to get a gym-toned body, only to find yourself surrounded by people flaunting their own gym-toned bodies? No, no there is not. Happily, in a move that is practically bursting out of its shirt with multiple Internet-outrage possibilities, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee’s Klotsche Center has implemented a dress code that requires fitness center patrons to wear sleeved shirts while working out. Sleeveless shirts have been banned, it seems, because they’re too “intimidating” to some students who are new to the whole “gym” thing. Or maybe it’s because of skimpy clothing. Or maybe it has to do with preventing the spread of staph infections. Or something.
    Well, there goes THAT option. But I guess the days of the sleeveless shirt were already numbered anyway, given that they're occasionally referred to as 'wife-beaters'. Frankly, I'm surprised Feminists didn't go ahead and ban those 20 years ago!

The male torso, along with anything and everything (including NOTHING) that can be used to cover it - the ultimate NEMESIS of Feminism...
    The Duluth Model is incomplete and outdated; It's time we replaced it with a Superior Model...

"Being a cunt doesn't make you wrong." ComradePrescott

Comment

Oh god, pass the eye bleach please.

Comment

Anybody else catching the irony of the "I bathe in male tears" shirt by Jessica Valenti?

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X