Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Young man hounded to death by women 100 years ago!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young man hounded to death by women 100 years ago!

It's not like this is either the most urgent or newsworthy item, but this article (
    HTML Code:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2014/10/03/george_spencer_millet_kissed_to_death_in_1909.html
    ) kind of outraged me - mostly the comments. I think what annoyed me the most is that NO minor incident is too small for feminists to unpack along their gender studies paradigms, but if a man happens to object over a seemingly minor gender discrepancy he's shamed for being over-sensitive and having no life (as I was in the comments thread).

It's not as if *I* feel this is the most relevant or worthy subject to draw a line in the sand over, but the fact that so many people (men and women both I'm sure) say that he should have "relaxed and enjoyed it" and other things that they would NEVER say to a woman who was harassed is just really bothersome to me.

The thing is I understand what it's like to be harassed by women in this way, and (at least in my case) it's not about expressing affection. I think most women think of guys who talk about being harassed think that these guys are bragging (ie, I'm so alpha that women just can't resist me), when more often then not its less typically "alpha" guys being baited and mocked by women feigning interest in them. I'm not saying that's why this young man resisted his assault, but when a woman pretends to be interested in you she's putting you in a double bind; if you take the bait and respond to her she'll laugh in your face ("I caan't believe *you* thought *I* was interested") and if you ignore her she'll emasculate you ("see he's nothing, but a scared little boy"). This is sort of the dynamic in the comments section. Aaanyway, this I guess is my way to waste a Saturday night.

Originally posted by JS
    ""Lost life by stab in falling on ink eraser, evading six young women trying to give him birthday kisses..."

I would have relaxed and enjoyed it. "
    Just lie back and think of England.

Comment

I happened upon a very, very similar story!

Atlas Obscura on Slate is a blog about the world's hidden wonders. Like us on Facebook, Tumblr, or follow us on Twitter.

"Stabbed to Death in Office Gang-Rape," read the headline on the front page of the New York Times on February 16, 1909. "The men in Her Department of Metropolitan Insurance Co. Were Trying to rape Her—All were Arrested."

The unfortunate young woman in question was Georgia Spencer Millet, who worked in the insurance company's Department of Applications in New York's Madison Square. Though she had only been there a few months, Millet had already made an impression on her co-workers. "She seemed to those accustomed to the usual run of office ladies as perfect," read the Times article. "Her manners were good and her fair hair and fair complexion made her the pet of all the male stenographers."

On February 15, 1909, Millet's 15th birthday, these "male stenographers" threatened that when the workday ended, they would kiss her once for every year of her age. At 4:30pm, they made good on their vow and descended on Millet to deliver the expected smooches. Millet tried to wriggle away, and in the ensuing rumpus was heard to exclaim, "I'm stabbed!"

According to the Times, 23-year-old Gerry Robbins, one of the kiss-happy stenographers, rushed to her aid, but fainted at the sight of blood streaming from a wound in her chest. An ambulance was summoned and Millet transported to New York Hospital, but she died from her injuries on the way there.

Arrested on the charge of homicide, sexual assault, kidnapping and attempted rape, the Stenographers admitted to the police what had happened. Right before the office assault, Millet had been holding an ink eraser—not a rubber blob, but a six-inch-long metal tool that resembled a knife. When the stenographers surrounded him, Millet's eraser was in her pocket. During the fracas, she fell forward, and the sharp point of the eraser drove into his heart.

When it became clear that Millet's death was due to an attempted gang rape, all of the men were arrested and Millet was buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx. Here gravestone reads: "Lost life by mob of sexually deranged men in the office Metropolitan Life Building." The male attackers are expected to be tried in September.

Visit Atlas Obscura for more on Georgia Spencer Millet's unfortunate demise.
      White privilege is just like 'the patriarchy' for minorities!
      Womyn, to take the man out of woman, too stupid to know Y it's a bad idea

Comment

Originally posted by christo930 View Post
        I happened upon a very, very similar story!
        LOL! You had me there for a second!

Comment

Working...
        X