Circumcision: The Double Standard of Genital Mutilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circumcision: The Double Standard of Genital Mutilation

The debate on circumcision male genital mutilation is once again gaining attention. On August 1st, on behalf of their wives, twelve men were ambushed and forced to undergo male genital mutilation without anesthesia. The men stripped naked, smeared with mud and paraded around the town of Moi's Bridge in Western Kenya. Their crime? Apparently they lacked hygiene and were not sexually satisfying to their women.

Besides the barbaric nature of the attack equally disturbing but predictable is the main stream media's lack of coverage for the crime. Had this been done to women....ah yes, we would have heard about it. But for males circumcision has evolved from a cultural ritual to a routinely practiced procedure. Debate brings out strong opponents by both for and those against the procedure. I can understand the "against" proponents since the procedure is rooted in ancient rituals and the science behind the practice is at best quackery, but the "for circumcision" group really stumped me until I began researching.

My mom was a "for circumcision" advocate but had later changed her position. I had been circumcised – and I was the only one in my family. My mom told me that the doctors convinced her to have it done (neither my dad or brothers were circumcised). She regretted it after I developed an infection and had to go back to the Montreal Children’s Hospital, several times over the course of a month. But before regretting the decision (which came years later) she told me that she often took a stand to strongly defend the procedure when discussing it with her circle of friends. As I probed her stand she stated it had more to do with avoiding guilt than anything else. She had made the decision to have me circumcised and couldn't live with the idea that her decision was in retrospect wrong and would result in actual harm to her child. There had to be some "benefit" to justify the ordeal.

My mom's position could be the reason a lot of dissenting voices come out at the calls for abolishing circumcision. After being coached into making the decision - which is easier done if the father is circumcised - they justify their actions (because frankly there is no going back). If the mutilation takes a turn for the worse (i.e. infection, complication) or more commonly after witnessing the pain experienced by the boy - parents feel it even more necessary to back up their original decision. It has more to do with lessening their own guilt than validating the purported benefits of circumcision.

The Benefits of Circumcision

Then there are those out there that will vehemently argue with you that male genital mutilation (circumcision) IS NOTHING like female genital mutilation. They (usually feminist who don't like to share the victim podium) will quote that male circumcision is a benefit. I am here to tell you that they are correct! There is a tremendous benefit - but NOT TO THE MALE. The real benefit goes to the institutions that gain to profit from this barbaric procedure.

In the Fall of 1989 I was a graduate student at a prominent Montreal University. I was heading back to my tissue cell culture lab when I stumbled upon Dr. “G”. After exchanging greetings she asked me how things were going with my research. I told her “not so good”. I had been having challenges getting my V79 Human Fibroblast cells to work for a series of experiments. And that’s when she told me. She gets her cells from the [redacted] hospital - from circumcised boys! And how exactly does she do that? Well [redacted] conducts a huge number of circumcisions each year and yes the foreskin…. they sell them! They make excellent cell cultures, she said enthusiastically.

This revelation on the whereabouts of discarded foreskin rubbed me the wrong way. There was an ethical component but on a more personal level there was an intuitive feeling that somehow perhaps the whole procedure was a sham. But like most people I shifted attention to other issues and had it not been for the recent red pill revelation I most likely would never have given a shit.

Global Conspiracy?

Besides guilt ridden parents or religious zealots why would anyone else want to ensure that male genital mutilation continue unhindered?

Could it be because circumcision is a BILLION DOLLAR industry!

The foreskin of a Caucasian newborn male will set you back $431. That’s if you’re buying it for profit (i.e. cosmetics) if you’re buying it for research then it’s $359.17.

What cosmetics???

Human male foreskin is the latest sick trend in the cosmetics world. For instance, facial cream from SkinMedica is a cream that contains boy’s foreskin. It is a product that is promoted by Oprah Winfrey. One of the side benefits of using human foreskin is that it doesn't have to undergo animal testing!

The circumcision procedure itself if a valuable cash cow as well. Each year 55% of the approximately 2 million men in the US are circumcised. This number has decreased recently and has medical establishment fuming mad. But the reasons they are upset of course isn't because they fear revenue lost…no…it’s because of their concern for the health of men. Yea right!! Because we care so much for men that we have national commissions set up for their welfare! We’ll look at the so called benefits a little later on and dispel any reason these so called intellectuals have. Back to the question, what does eliminating circumcision mean? Well in the US a circumcision could cost you about $250. When you multiply that out it comes to about $275 million dollars (in the US alone) each year.

As for the rest of the world - consider that one third of all males are circumcised!

But Circumcision is NOTHING like Female Genital Mutilation, isn't it?

The foreskin is a specialized, functional organ designed for enhancing pleasure. Nature has designed it with a greater variety and concentration of nerve receptors MORE THAN ANY PART OF THE PENIS. Those who condemn female genital mutilation say it’s because it removes part of the girl intended to enhance sexual pleasure. Well the same could be said for the foreskin. In average circumcision will remove as much as 240 feet of nerves, and more than 20,000 nerve endings! Without the foreskin, the glans (tip of the penis) also becomes desensitized to touch – further robbing the male of sexual pleasure. A circumcised male’s glans becomes keratinized (addition of successive layers of skin) becoming much tougher and dryer as a result.

The glans was never designed to be an “external organ”. The circumcision process requires tearing foreskin from the glans and “pieces” of the glans could be torn off as well. Sometimes “shreds” of skin left over from the mutilation will hang from the glans.

Depending on how much foreskin is removed during circumcision, as much of 80 percent or more of his penile skin could be removed. This results in a significantly SMALLER PENIS – as much as 25% shorter.

Removing the “extra skin” also prevents penile skin from moving freely over the shaft and glans of the penis. This results in destroying the process that normally works to stimulate the glans. A circumcised male also lacks sebaceous glands which were designed to lubricate the penis during coitus. Without the lubrication the dry penis drives out making it susceptible to cracking and bleeding.

Circumcision is Illegal

Doctors Hippocratic Oath "First, do no harm."

EVERY doctor that has performed a circumcision procedure on a healthy boy has in fact broken the Hippocratic Oath they were sworn upon. Removing otherwise healthy skin is doing harm to the boy. In addition, in some countries the existing laws make it unlawful to circumcise healthy boys. As Jim Byset stated in his recent article, circumcision in Canada violates the law and medical ethics. Despite this, Canadian practitioners continue to circumcise boys. Where are the legal advocates? Why hasn't the law been addressed?

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees that “Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.” (Section 15-1.) While females are protected from even a prick of their foreskin, males continue to be subjected to ancient barbaric practices with no medical or legal basis. The Canadian Medical Association’s Code Of Ethics maintains that medical personnel have a duty to “consider first the well-being of the patient” and “refuse to participate in or support practices that violate basic human rights.”

Furthermore, the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons deems that for consent to be valid it must be “related to treatment, informed, voluntary, not be obtained through fraud or misrepresentation.” In Layman’s terms, the Physician is obligated to inform the patient of all potential risks associated with a procedure, along with the risks of not performing said procedure. But infants are incapable of giving consent. In the instance of proxy consent (parental consent) to treatment, the O.C.P.S. states, “A physician must provide the substitute decision-maker with the information that would otherwise have been given to the patient to enable him or her to make an informed decision as to consent.” (18.) and that “A physician must consider whether the substitute decision-maker is complying with the principles set out in the HCCA. If a physician is of the view that the substitute decision-maker is not acting in accordance with the HCCA, he or she can call the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee.” In other words, doctors are not allowed to amputate healthy, functional body parts just because the parents request them to do so.

In addition, the circumcised foreskin sold actually violates (at least in Canada) The Human Tissue Act: “A person shall not buy, sell or otherwise deal in, directly or indirectly, for a valuable consideration, tissue for a transplant or a body or part of a body, other than blood or a blood constituent for therapeutic purposes, medical education or scientific research”

So what are the so called “benefits” of circumcision?

1. Fighting Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)

According to the latest information, approximately one percent of boys will develop a UTI within the first years of life. However, there is absolutely NO evidence (in the form of random controlled trials) that link circumcision to a reduction in UTIs. If anything a American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) – one of the instigators pushing for male genital mutilation – showed scant evidence that 100 circumcisions would have to be conducted to prevent only 1 case of UTI. And what about a MORE SERIOUS infection resulting from circumcision? Well as we'll see in a minute no one's bothered to collect data!

In reality the "urban legend" arose from an extremely flawed study back in 1985 (Wiswell 1985). The study didn’t even accurately count whether the boys were circumcised or not!

2. Penile Cancer

You hear this one a lot. Circumcision prevents penile cancer. Penile cancer is perhaps one of the rarest forms of cancer – occurring in only 1 out of a 100,000 males. And when diagnosed early it has a good survival rate. But let’s face it who wants to get penile cancer? So how effective is circumcision against preventing penile cancer? Well according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) study you would need to conduct up to 322,000 circumcisions to prevent one case of penile cancer! In addition, penile cancer is thought to be linked to infection with human papillomaviruses, which is contracted during sex. If you were really concerned about it you could use a condom!

One conclusion we should consider: since penile cancer associated with human papillomaviruses is such a concern then why not let the boy reach adulthood (and hence age of sexual activity) and after reviewing the evidence decide for himself whether the surgery is necessary? Given the choice to use a condom or have a irreversible penile mutilation I would expect that would help the young adult come to a decision rather quickly.

3. Sexually Transmitted Diseases and HIV

The next argument for circumcision put forward by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is that circumcision prevents 2 common viral STDs (genital herpes and genital warts). The study for this is based on a hardly relevant sub-population of adult men in sub-Saharan Africa.

With regards to HIV again the science is sketchy. Evidence purports that circumcision prevents HIV in heterosexual men. In particular, the data seems to support a reduction of HIV in black men. However, the data shows that the effects of preventing HIV is MOST NOTABLE in men having the procedure AFTER THE AGE OF 35!

Again, with regards to STDs and HIV again if there is any concern then the boy could decide for himself at an age of consent. If anything, at least with regards to HIV it would actually be a benefit to wait until after the man turned 35.

Well What about the Risks of Circumcision?

Again, uninformed trolls - and guilt ridden parents - throughout the internet will let you know that the risks with circumcision is minuscule…. that the benefits outweigh the risks.

In reality the risks are very real: infections (for one I can attest to that), hemorrhaging, meatal strictures and even incidental deaths and partial amputations of the penis. But incredibly, probably to the benefit of the institution, the EXACT NUMBERS FOR THE RISKS HAVE NEVER BEEN MADE AVAILABLE. That’s correct. We cannot say for sure what the incident rates are for circumcision complications because there are none to be referenced. Why would such a vastly routine procedure like circumcision not have any statistics? When AAP’s eight member team recently decided that circumcision is a “good thing” they hardly had enough data to determine the relative magnitude of the risk involved. Anyone versed in risk management will tell you that Risk = Severity X probability. Without probability the level of risk is unattainable, and by default the regulators only ASSUME that it is low.

Let's Look at the Risks in More Detail

We’ve already looked at the very real desensitization of the penis to sensual touch. As I’ve indicated we have no idea exactly how much “damage” is attributed to circumcision – because frankly I don’t think they want us to know. But there have been numerous accounts of boys losing their glans…or having their entire penis cut off usually without anesthesia!

Let’s look in more detail to the harm circumcision results in.

Meatal Stenosis

A condition known as “meatal stenosis” can occur as a result of circumcision. Normally blood flows from the extra skin to the penis. Without the circumcised skin blood flow is disrupted and cause a backflow of blood resulting in an obstruction of urine flow. This condition is most always associated with circumcised boys.

Severed Lymph Vessels

Circumcision results in the severing of lymph vessels. Lymph is a colorless fluid containing blood cells that is intended to bath the tissues. When lymph circulation is hampered it could result in lymphedema a very painful and disfiguring condition that results in lymph not draining from the penis. This fluid becomes trapped and begins to swell.

Effects on the Brain

Wonder why men have lower pain thresholds than women? Recent studies (Taddio 1997, Anand 2000) published in leading medical journals have shown that circumcised boys having lower pain thresholds than girls or intact boys. Dr. James Prescott, a researcher in this area suggested that circumcision could result in disturbing levels of brain damage (to the developing boy).

Effect on Women

The free flowing skin of an intact penis allows the penis to move easily inside a women in a much more pleasurable fashion. The sebaceous glands also allows aids in lubricating the inside of the vagina. Is it any wonder why most couples (where a man is circumcised) require an artificial lubricant?

Another effect of circumcision on moms (as well as dads) is the disruption that circumcision has on the parent-infant bonding that occurs during this crucial time following birth. Studies at the Washington University School of Medicine found that most boys would not nurse right after they were circumcised and most would not look into their mother’s eyes!

Painful Procedure

Before a boy can be circumcised his foreskin must be removed from his glans. He is literally being skinned alive! In most cases the procedure is done without anesthesia. But even when it is studies performed at the University of Colorado School of medicine showed that circumcised boys usually had unrestful non-REM sleep. This is in response to the boy’s bombardment of neural pathways resulting in unbearable pain. The boys sometimes fall into a “semicoma” that can last days if not weeks. Think about it why do boys cry during and after a circumcision? It’s disingenuous to suggest that they DON’T FEEL ANYTHING!

Moreover, in the civilized West, only 45% of doctors (and even less Obstetricians 25%) uses anesthesia. The reason they don't is because it takes just too much time!

Studies have show that circumcision results in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression and lower self esteem and issues related to intimacy (Boyle 2002, Hammond 1999, Goldman 1999).

But doesn't circumcision make it more hygienic?

Perhaps the biggest myth about circumcision is that it aids in hygiene. That’s like saying cutting off a boy’s eyelid makes it more hygienic in caring for his eye! In healthy boys the foreskin is COMPLETELY FUSED to the glans. It is designed to keep feces off the head of the penis. Circumcision causes the glans to be more susceptible to infection and more likely to bring invading germs in closer proximity to the urinary tract.

But what about the production of smelly smegma? Doesn’t circumcision prevent this?

Smegma is produced by both boys and girls equally. It is washed off easily during bathing. And NO it doesn’t cause cancer. PERIOD!

In conclusion, we already know the outcry a single case of female genital mutilation would bring…nothing less than a candle light vigil and 24/7 coverage on CNN. But because men and boys are disposable their genital mutilation comes with benefits to society…the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. Isn't it time that we revisit why it is that we continue to do this...and perhaps even more important why we continue to pretend nothing is wrong? Circumcision should not only be less prevalent but I would suggest it should be outlawed the way female genital mutilation is.
    Last edited by JoeWilson; 08-06-2014, 05:22 PM.

Hey Joe,

I'm gonna drop some further data on you in the near future, but it's late and way past my bedtime right now. As they say: "I'll be bock!" (After I consult my copious notes. I suspect that you're going to be flabbergasted.)

Circumcision is my pet peeve, and I don't believe that this issue gets enough truly detailed air-play around here (and in society in general) quite possibly because an entrenched anti-circumcision stance carries some religious/anti-religious overtones. It also doesn't precisely fit the "anti-feminist" combative narrative. :-)

As a rather severely affected individual, an individual yet without any obvious deformity or "complication", I'd like to tell you this much for now: "anorgasmia" is best thought of not as a black-and-white phenomenon, but as a range from "usually to sometimes to rarely to never." And it slides down scale the older you get, and yet this is all old news? Yeah, not when it's new to a you, or a me. And the foreskin doesn't even make an appearance in most of the anatomy textbooks of the last half of the 20th century. (In English, I have to add, because?-- see next point.)

Oh, and benefits?-- There are none! Some 70% to 75% of the world's male population remains intact, and they experience none of the problems predicted for them by circ proponents.

Moreover, among women experienced enough to have experienced both circ'ed and intact, the preference is for intact at nearly 9 to 1. So much for your ignorant feminist classmates. If they're hetero in a male-circumcising culture, they've been badly hoodwinked. The foreskin has an important function for HER, too. Odd, but true.

Circumcision has abso-fucking-tively, posi-fucking-lutely NADA to do with AIDS. That's all pure horseshit. The studies upon which this claim is made are so unethically flawed it'd make yer skin crawl, but there's no need to do such a study if you know the fundamental nature of AIDS in the first place. We'll consult Dr. Luc Montagnier for that one, on video. And who's he? The guy who shares Nobel prize winner status with our own Dr. Robert Gallo as co-discoverer of the virus. If you take stock in such authority figures...

I notice you bring up the subject of risks without even broaching the subject of death as a risk, and yet the best estimate is that circumcision is the "distal," or ultimate, cause -- as opposed to the proximate cause -- of some 117 deaths of baby males every year in the U. S. alone. Hemorrhage, infection, urinary blockage, etc. will always be the proximate cause indicated on the death cert.

I'll git ya a reference on that soon. Jus' cuz' yer interested, I"ll drop a lotta data on you. :-)

Cheers,

Sputnik

Comment

Great thanks Sputnik! Looking forward to your info/data! Yes, I believe we need to tackle this one. It's not one of my top priorities but as I learn more it is definitely getting up there. My mom said she cried a whole two weeks after I had the procedure....and was never fully explained the risks. I was lucky I didn't end up losing my dick!

Thanks again!

Comment

Hello again, Joe,

Sputnik here. You have some hours of reading and youtube video ahead of you. Not to worry. For the most part, it's absolutely fascinating.

I don't know that you need bringing up to speed on the matter, but a little review never hurt, given the scope of the subject. See this first. This is the article that first enlightened me, in '97, when I was forty years old. My jaw hit the floor.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ca...-circumcision/

Get past this next assignment, which is a toughy, but bone jarring, and the rest is a whirlwind!

For the best estimate of neonatal (up to 1 month post birth) male circumcision, see the following link. Actually, I think he means to include deaths that may happen after that period. Or whatever. Been a while.

It's tough slogging, dense with analysis, but worth it. I simply wish I knew the "codes" for the references he uses; you'll see what I'm referring to. You'll get the idea, nonetheless, however.

http://www.academia.edu/6394940/Lost..._Infant_Deaths

Eventually, I'm going to have you read an outstanding article co-authored by Steven Svoboda of ARC, Attorneys for the Rights of the Child, a fellow who posts over at NCFM quite frequently. It begins with a certain sentiment: "Comparisons are odious..." And then he and his co-author proceed with the necessary comparisons, by way of defining the problem.

For, after all, it is by comparison that all thinking is accomplished. Get that in its simplicity. It is impossible to evaluate a datum in isolation, which is to say, everything is relative to something else, or else it is meaningless. So let's put some things in perspective.

First, let's do some comparing!

At the next link, you will read about the sex-lives of the Afar women of northern Sudan, women who have been excised and infibulated. Not a word about MGM (Male Genital Mutilation, sorry, I'm not one to just assume that everybody knows all the terms and acronyms, and I didn't see the acronym in your piece, above) not a word about it in the piece, if I recall correctly. And it's absolutely FASCINATING. After reading this piece, just for kicks, pause to read a wikipedia entry about the Explorer Burton that the author refers to. Google him. Look at his list of accomplishments. What a fucking man's man. Even looks like Tom Selleck. Make ya feel like a eunuch.

Then, two videos from Australian tv, a show called Insight:

First, "Clear Cut", involving 2 African women interview guests, both sexually mutilated, as well as many knowledgeable "audience" members well placed there for the purpose of weighing in. Note the assumption going into the hour: FGM bad. Clear cut. After all, everybody knows what a clitoris (and nearby surrounding) is for. But check out what these affected African women have to say about it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1gmUuDniU

Then, "First Cut". Somehow, this is not so clear cut? Perhaps this is because not everybody knows what a foreskin is for. And my observation is that THEY MANAGE TO MAKE IT THROUGH THE WHOLE HOUR WITHOUT ONCE BROACHING THE SUBJECT OF WHAT THE FORESKIN IS FOR!! And this, in a country (Australia) where the circumcision rate is relatively low, now. (Low? Relative to what? See, you need another datum against which to compare the datum I just gave you. I'll let you scare up the necessary data. Or, I’ll get around to it eventually. Cheers.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge3hC-nlx24

Then, read Svoboda (the lawyer) and Darby (the circumcision historian). An essay as beautifully composed as this can bring tears to my eyes, and this one is indeed rare.

http://historyofcircumcision.net/ima.../rd-rose07.pdf

That little lineup may well roto-rooter your perspective on the matter, as it did mine, even after some 17 years of knowing the truth o'the matter.

Then tell me, have you ever watched a video of a circumcision? Have you ever watched a video of an FGM? Any particular aspects of interest?

We have yet to consider the anatomy and physiology of the thing in detail, and the pain and the non-use of anaesthetics.

Lovely, eh?

And the psychological consequences. And the sociological consequences. And the hard, cold economic consequences.
        Last edited by Stever4AVfM; 06-07-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the info!

Comment

Oh! I so eagerly await your take-away!

Sputty

Comment

Originally posted by Stever4AVfM View Post
              Oh! I so eagerly await your take-away!

Sputty
              Wow! It's sooooo easy to become angered by all this. I began this article only because I was against circumcision but felt I was missing something - because like you I've seen others who take this to a whole new level. Only an hour or two of research is enough to push you over the threshold - making you obsessively mad about this! What is more disturbing is that there are doctors and so called ethics experts who surely would have done some sort of research (?) still rendering bullshit about the benefits!!

Again, thanks for the info!

Also I found an excellent 6 part series on the subject (in a place I would never have expected to see):

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...likely-believe

Comment

References and Bibliography:

A. Ahmed and A. W. Jones, “Apocrine Cystadenoma: A Report of Two Cases Occurring on the Prepuce,” British Journal of Dermatology 81 (1969): 899-901.

A. B. Hyman and M. H. Brownstein, “Tyson’s ‘Glands’: Ectopic Sebaceous Glands and Papillomatosis Penis,” Archives of Dermatology 99 (1969): 31-37

A. Bourlond and R. K. Winkelmann, “Linnervation du Prepuce chez le Nouveau-ne”, Archives Belges de Dermatologie et de Syphiligraphie 21 (1965):139-153.

A. De Girolamo and A. Cecio, “Contributo alla Conoscenza dell’innervazione Sensitiva del Prepuzio Nell’uomo,’ Bollettino della Societa Italiona de Biologia Sperimentale 44 (1968):1521-1522.

A. S. Dogiel, “Die Nervenendigungen in der Haut der ausseren Genitalorgane des Menschen,” Archiv fur Mikroskopische Anotomie 41 (1893): 585-612.

A. Taddio et al., “Effect of Neonatal Circumcision on Pain Responses during Vaccination in Boys,” Lancet 345 (1995): 291-292.

A. Taddio et al., “Effect of Neonatal Circumcision on Pain Response during Subsequent Routine Vaccination,” Lancet 349 (1997): 599-603.

Agawal A, Mohta A, Anand RK. Preputial retraction in children. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg 2005;10(2):89-91.

American Academy of Pediatrics, Newborns., Care of the Uncircumcised Penis: Guidelines for Parents (Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics, 1994).

American Academy of Pediatrics. Circumcision Policy Statement (1999) Pediatrics 1999;103(3):686-93.

Anand et al., "Can Adverse Neonatal Experiences Alter Brain Development and Subsequent Behavior? Biol Neonate 77 (2000): 69-82.

Ashfield, J., et al., Treatment of phimosis with topical steroids in 194 children, JOURNAL OF UROLOGY, Volume 169, Number 3: Pages 1106-1108, March 2003.

Auvert, B. et al., Randomized, controlled intervention trial of male circumcision for reduction of HIV infection risk: the ANRS 1265 Trial, PLoS Med. 2005 Nov;2(11):e298. Epub 2005 Oct 25.

B. Donovan et al., “Male Circumcision and Common Sexually Transmissible Diseases in a Developed Nation Setting,” Genitourinary Medicine 70 (1994): 317-320.

B. S. Strimling, “Partial Amputation of Glans Penis during Mogen Clamp Circumcision,” Pediatrics 87 (1996): 906-907.

B. V. Kirkpatrick and D. V. Eitzman, “Neonatal Septicemia after Circumcision,” Clinical Pediatrics 13 (1974): 767-768.

Bensley GA, Boyle GJ. Physical, sexual, and psychological effects of male infant circumcision: an exploratory survey. In: Denniston GC, Hodges FM, Milos MF, editors. Understanding circumcision: a multi-disciplinary approach to a multi-dimensional problem. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers; 2001. p. 207-39.

Bensley, G. et al., Effects of male circumcision on female arousal and orgasm, NEW ZEALAND MEDICAL JOURNAL, Volume 116, Number 1181: Pages 595-596,
12 September 2003.

Bollinger, D. "Lost Boys: An Estimate of U.S. Circumcision-Related Infant Deaths," Thymos: Journal of Boyhood Studies Volume 4, Number 1 (2010).

Bollinger, D., Van Howe, R. S. (2010). Alexithymia and Circumcision Trauma: A Preliminary Investigation (in press).

Boyle, G.,et al., "Male Circumcision: Pain, Trauma, and Psychosexual Sequelae," Journal of Health Psychology 7 (2002): 329-343.

C. J. Cold et al., “Carcinoma in Situ of the Penis in a 76-Year-old Circumcised Man,” Journal of Family Practice 44 (1997): 407-410.

C. K. Pearlman, “Caution Advised on Electrocautery Circumcisions,” Urology 19 (1982): 453.

C. K. Pearlman, “Reconstruction Following latrogenic Burn of the Penis,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery 11 (1976): 121-122.

Camille CJ, Kuo RL, Wiener JS. Caring for the uncircumcised penis: What parents (and you) need to know. Contemp Pediatr 2002;11:61.

Circumcision of Male Infants. Sydney: Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 2010.

Cold CJ, Taylor JR. The prepuce. BJU Int 1999;83 Suppl. 1:34-44.

Cold CJ, Taylor JR. The prepuce. BJU International 1999; 83, Suppl. 1: 34-44.

Committee on Bioethics, “Informed Consent, Parental Permission, and Assent in Pediatric Practice,” Pediatrics 95 (1995): 314-317.

Connolly, C. et al., Male circumcision and its relationship to HIV infection in South Africa: Results of a national survey in 2002, South African Medical Journal, October 2008, Vol. 98, No. 10.

Craig A, Bollinger D. Of waste and want: A nationwide survey of Medicaid funding for medically unnecessary, non-therapeutic circumcision. In: Denniston GC, Gallo PG, Hodges FM, Milos MF, eds. Bodily Integrity and the Politics of Circumcision: Culture, Controversy, and Change. New York: Springer; 2006:233-46.

D. A. Gilbert et al., “Phallic Construction in Prepubertal and Adolescent Boys,” Journal of Urology 149 (1993): 1521-1526.

D. Ohmori, “Uber die Entwicklung der Innervation der Genitalapparate als Peripheren Aufnahmeapparat der Genitalen Reflexe,” Zeitschrift fur Anotomie und Entwicklungsgeschichte 70 (1924): 347-410.

E. O. Laumann et al, “Circumcision in the United States: Prevalence, Prophylactic Effects, and Sexual Practice,” Journal of the American Association 277 (1997):1052-1057.

El Becheraoui C, Greenspan J, Kretsinger K, Chen R. Rates of selected neonatal male circumcision-associated severe adverse events in the United States, 2007-2009 (CDC). Proceedings, AIDS 2010, Vienna, Austria. 5 Aug 2010.

F. A. Hodges, “Short History of the Institutionalization of Involuntary Sexual Mutilation in the United States,” in G. C. Denniston and M. F. Milos, eds., Sexual Mutilations: A Human Tragedy (New York: Plenum Press, 1997), 35.

Fetus and Newborn Committee, Canadian Paediatric Society. Neonatal circumcision revisited. (CPS) Canadian Medical Association Journal 1996;154(6):769-80.

G. L Smith et al, Circumcision as a Risk Factor for Urethritis in Racial Groups,” American Journal of Public Health 77 (1987): 452-454.

G. N. Weiss et al., “The Distribution and Density of Langerhans Cells in the Human Prepuce: Site of a Diminished immune Response?” Israel Journal of Medical Sciences 29 (1993): 42-43.

G. R. Gluckman et al., “Newborn Penile Glans Amputation during Circumcision and Successful Reattachment,” Journal of Urology 153 (1995): 778-779.

G. T Klauber and J. Boyle, “Preputial Skin-Bringi n Complication of Circumcision,” Urology 3 (1974): 722-723.

G. W. Kaplan, “Complications of Circumcision,” Urologic Clinics of North America 10 (1983): 543-549.

H. C. Bazett et al, “Depth, Distribution and Probable Identification in the Prepuce of Sensory End-Organs Concerned in Sensations of Temperature and Touch, Thermometric Conductivity,” Archives of Neurology and Psychiatry 27 (1932): 489-517

H. L Tan, “Foreskin Fallacies and Phimosis,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore 14 (1985): 626-630.

Hall, H. et al., Estimating the lifetime risk of a diagnosis of the HIV infection in 33 states, 2005-2005; J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;49(3):294-297.

Hammond, T., "A Preliminary Poll of Men Circumcised in Infancy or Childhood," BJU 83 (1999): suppl. 1: 85-92.

Goldman, R., "The Psychological Impact of Circumcision," BJU 83 (1999): suppl. 1: 93-102.

Harryman, GL, An analysis of the Accuracy of the Presentation of the Human Penis in Anatomical Source Materials, in Flesh and Blood, Perspectives on the Problem of Circumcision in Contemporary Society, eds. Denniston, Hodges, and Milos, Kluwer Academic/ Plenum Publishers, NY, 2004.

I. Bassett et al., “Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 infection of Heterosexual Men Attending a Sexual Health Centre,” Medical Journal of Australia 160 (1994):697-700.

“Incipit Libellus De Ecclesiasticis Disciplinis et Religione Christiana Collectus. Liber II.XC, XCI” in Patrologice Cursus Completus, vol. 132 (Paris: Apud Gamier Fratres, Editores et J. P. Migne Successores, 1880), 301-302.

Intergovernmental Bioethics Committee. Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights. Adopted by the General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization on 19 October 2005.

Ishikawa E, Kawakita M. [Preputial development in Japanese boys]. Hinyokika Kiyo. 2004;50(5):305-8.

J. M. Scurlock and P. J. Pemberton, “Neonatal Meningitis and Circumcision,” Medical Journal of Australia 1 (1977):332-334.

J. Money, “Ablatio Penis: Normal Male infant Sex-reassigned as a Girl,” Archives of Sexual Behavior 4 (1975): 65-71.

J. Oster, “Further Fate of the Foreskin,” Archives of Disease in Childhood 43 (1968): 200-203.

J. P. Gearhart, “Complications of Pediatric Circumcision,” in Urologic Complications, Medical and Surgical, Adult and Pediatric, ed. F. F. Marshall (Chicago: Year Book Medical Publishers, 1986), 387-396.

J. R Gearhart and J. A. Rock, “Total Ablation of the Penis after Circumcision with Electrocautery: A Method of Management and Long-Term Followup,” Journal of Urology 142 (1989): 799-801.

J. R. Sharpe and R. P. Finney, “Electrocautery Circumcision,” Urology 19 (1982): 228.

J. R. Taylor et al, “The Prepuce: Specialized Mucosa of the Penis and its Loss to Circumcision,” British Journal of Urology 77 (1996): 291-295.

J. Sherman et al., “Circumcision: Successful Glandular Reconstruction and Survival Following Traumatic Amputation,” Journal of Urology 156 (1996): 842-844.

J. W. Prescott, “Genital Pain vs. Genital Pleasure: Why the One and Not the Other?” Truth Seeker 1 (1989): 14-21.

Jameson, D. et al., The Association Between Lack of Circumcision and HIV, HSV-2, and Other Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Men Who Have Sex With Men, Sex Transm Dis. 2009 Nov 6.

Kayaba H, Tamura H, Kitajima S, et al. Analysis of shape and retractability of the prepuce in 603 Japanese boys. J Urol 1996;156(5):1813-5.

Kellogg, J. Plain facts for old and young: embracing the natural history and hygiene of organic life, 1877.

Kim D, Pang M. The effect of male circumcision on sexuality. BJU Int 2007;99(3):619-22.

L S. Cook et al, “Clinical Presentation of Genital Warts among Circumcised and Uncircumcised Heterosexual Men Attending an Urban STD Clinic,” Genitourinary Medicine 69 (1993): 262-264.

Lander, J. et al., "Comparison of Ring Block, Dorsal Penile Nerve Block, and Topical Anesthesia for Neonatal Circumcision," JAMA 278 (1997): 2157-2162.

Laumann, EO, Masi CM, Zuckerman EW. Circumcision in the United States. JAMA 1997;277(13):1052-7.

M. Davenport, “Problems with the Penis and Prepuce: Natural History of the Foreskin” (photograph 1), British Medical Journal 312 (1996): 299-301.

M. Diamond and H. K Sigmundson, “Sex Reassignment at Birth: Long-Term Review and Clinical implications,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 151 (1997): 298-304.

M. F. Campbell, “The Male Genital Tract and the Female Urethra,” in Urology, eds. M. F. Campbell and J. H. Harrison, vol. 2, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders, 1970),1836.

M. Frisch et al., “Falling Incidence of Penis Cancer in an Uncircumcised Population (Denmark 1943-90),” British Medical Journal 311 (1995): 1471.

M. Terris et al., “Relation of Circumcision to Cancer of the Cervix,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 117 (1973): 1056-1065.

Male circumcision: Global trends and determinants of prevalence, safety and acceptability. (PDF). World Health Organization. 2007. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publication...596169_eng.pdf. Retrieved Sept. 14, 2011.

Medical Ethics Committee. The law & ethics of male circumcision - guidance for doctors. London: British Medical Association, 2003, 2006.

National Center for Health Statistics of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, 1994.

Non-therapeutic circumcision of male minors. Utrecht, Royal Dutch Medical Association (KNMG), 2010.

O'Hara K, O'Hara J. The effect of male circumcision on the sexual enjoyment of the female partner. BJU Int 1999;83 Suppl 1:79-84.

Øster J. Further fate of the foreskin: incidence of preputial adhesions, phimosis, and smegma among Danish schoolboys. Arch Dis Child 1968;43:200-3.

P. J. Flower et al, “An immunopathologic Study of the Bovine Prepuce,” Veterinary Pathology 20 (1983):189-202.

Pisacane A, et al. Breastfeeding and urinary tract infection. The Lancet, July 7, 1990, p50.

R. D. Talarico and J. E. Jasaitis, “Concealed Penis: A Complication of Neonatal Circumcision,” Journal of Urology 110 (1973): 732-733.

R. E. Marshall et al, “Circumcision: II. Effects upon Mother-Infant Interaction,” Early Human Development 7 (1982): 367-374.

R. Goldman, Circumcision: The Hidden Trauma (Boston: Vanguard Publications, 1997), 139-175.

R. Hausmann et al., “The Forensic Value of the immunohistochemical Detection of Estrogen Receptors in Vaginal Epithelium,” International Journal of Legal Medicine 109 (1996):10-30.

R. K Winkelmann, “The Cutaneous innervation of Human Newborn Prepuce,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology 26 (1956): 53-67

R. K. Winkelmann, “The Erogenous Zones: Their Nerve Supply and its Significance,” Proceedings of the Staff Meetings of the Mayo Clinic 34 (1959): 39-47.

R. N. Emde et al., “Stress and Neonatal Sleep,” Psychosomatic Medicine 33 (1971):491-497.

R. Persad et al., “Clinical Presentation and Pathophysiology of Meatal Stenosis Following Circumcision,” British Journal of Urology 75 (1995): 90-91.

R. S. Thompson, “Routine Circumcision in the Newborn: An Opposing View,” Journal of Family Practice 31 (1990): 189-196.

S. A. Aldeeb Abu-Sahlieh, “Jehovah, His Cousin Allah, and Sexual Mutilations,” in Sexual Mutilations. A Human Tragedy, eds. G. C. Denniston and M. F Milos (New York: Plenum Press, 1997), 41-62.

S. Grayzel, The Church and the Jews in the XIIth Century, vol. 2, ed. K. R. Stow (Detroit, MI: Wayne State University Press, 1989), 246-247.

S. J. Sussman et al, “Fournier’s Syrndrome: Report of Three Cases and Review of the Literature,” American Journal of Diseases of Children 132 (1978):1189-1191.

Schwartz, William M., MD et al., PEDIATRIC PRIMARY CARE: A Problem-solving Approach, 2nd Edition, Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc., 1990, pp. 861-862.

See photographic series: J. A. Erickson, “Three Zones of Penile Skin. “In M. M. Lander, “The Human Prepuce,” in G. C. Denniston and M. P Milos, eds., Sexual Mutilations. A Human Tragedy (New York: Plenum Press, 1997), 79-81.

Solinis I, Yiannaki A. Does circumcision improve couple's sex life? J Mens Health Gend 2007;4(3):361.

Sorrells ML, Snyder JL, Reiss MD, et al. Fine-touch pressure thresholds in the adult penis. BJU Int 2007;99:864-9.

Stang, H. et al., "Circumcision Practice Patterns in the United States," Pediatrics Vol. 101 No. 6 (1998): e5.

T J. Ritter and G. C. Denniston, Say No to Circumcision: 40 Compelling Reasons, 2nd ed. (Aptos, CA: Hourglass, 1996), 6-20.

T. E. Wiswell, “Circumcision Circumspection,” New England Journal of Medicine 336 (1997): 1244-1245.

Taddio A, et al., "Effect of neonatal circumcision on pain response during subsequent routine vaccination." Lancet 1997;349(9052):599-603.

Tang WS, Khoo EM. Prevalence and correlates of premature ejaculation in a primary care setting: A preliminary cross-sectional study. J Sex Med, 14 Apr 2011, Available online at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...280.x/abstract

Thompson RS: Does circumcision prevent urinary tract infection? An opposing view. J Fam Pract 1990; 31: 189-96.

Van Howe, R., "A Cost-Utility Analysis of Neonatal Circumcision," Med Decis Making, December 1, 2004; 24(6): 584 - 601.

Van Howe, R., "Variability in Penile Appearance and Penile Findings: A Prospective Study," BJU 80 (1997): 776-782.

W. F. Gee and J. S. Ansell, “Neonatal Circumcision; A Ten-Year Overview: With Comparison of the Gomco Clamp and the Plastibell Device,” Pediatrics 58 (1976): 824-827.

Wallerstein E. Circumcision: An American health fallacy. New York: Springer Publishing Company; 1980:217.

Wawer, M. et al., Circumcision in HIV-infected men and its effect on HIV transmission to female partners in Rakai, Uganda: a randomised controlled trial, The Lancet, Volume 374, Issue 9685, Pages 229 - 237, 18 July 2009.

Westercamp, W., et al., Male Circumcision in the General Population of Kisumu, Kenya: Beliefs about Protection, Risk Behaviors, HIV, and STIs, PLoS ONE 5(12): e15552. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0015552

Wiswell TE, Smith FR, Bass JW. Decreased incidence of urinary tract infections in circumcised male infants. Pediatrics 1985, 75: 901-903.

Z. Halata and B. L. Munger, “The Neuroanatomical Basis for the Protopathic Sensibility of the Human Glans Penis,” Brain Research 371 (1986): 205-230.

Comment

Wow.. Onision has a bit about this... and I find myself agreeing with him!

_

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.

Comment

Well Hello Joe!!

Fundamentally, I'm so very sorry to have been the bearer of such bad tidings, but if we don't fully, fully, fully confront the problem, it's just gonna keep happening.

As you might expect, I've seen the Psych Today series. What really frosted my flakes more than anything else was the realization I had after reading the Hanny Lightfoot-Klein piece recommended in my earlier post describing the sex lives of infibulated Afar women in Sudan: that you don't have to be born female, black, poor, and uneducated in equatorial Africa to suffer a severe genital mutilation; you can be born male, WASP, well-to-do, and well educated right here in the good 'ol U. S. of A. in the 21st century, and they'll cut the sexiest part of your sexuality off! What a killer fucking irony!

In other words, I, personally, am worse off than many an excised female, (and infibulation can be undone.) Yeah, the guy who went after me with his little knife the day after I was born went about his business with all the zeal for detail of a violin maker. I sport no obvious deformities, and I don't know about any early, acute complications, but I was cut down to about a millimeter of specifically erogenous, epithelial (mucous-membrane, inner-surface foreskin) tissue, and of this tiny remainder -- 5% MAX, I estimate, and that only because there's no way to take off the sensitive underside of the tip without creating a messy bleeder from the frenular artery -- of this tiny remainder, the "larger half" was rendered numb, having nothing to do with the inevitable desensitization that follows from the permanent exposure, the keratinization or hardening and thickening, and the desiccation. Nerve damage. Not obvious. And so "small" in the result that I didn't even realize that fact until I was... well, I was dimly aware of the numbness at some point, but I never properly attributed it to circumcision until I was, um, 55? (Yeah. sigh)

(Incidentally, I used to work in a violin ship. I know my half-millimeters, on sight. :-)

Here are some pictures. Most guys are "high and tight".

http://www.circumstitions.com/Images/Glossary/high.jpg "high and tight"
                    http://www.circumstitions.com/Images/Glossary/low.jpg "low and tight"

I'm "low and tight", but lower than this, you betcha, to such an extent that it can't be seen unless stretched. You'll get the picture. And tight?-- IT AIN'T S'POSED TA BE TIGHT! Many guys are left with "too little penile skin to comfortably accommodate their erections." (Because "there's no dotted line telling doctors where to cut". AND IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO PREDICT THE DIMENSIONS OF THE MATURE ORGAN FROM THE INFANT. Fucking DUH! I got just a little o'that goin' on.) But this has implications when considered in light of the fact that the glans, the head of the penis, is almost solely pressure sensitive, contrary to widespread belief. It's a probe, looking for circumferential pressure, not back-pressure or resistance to further forward motion. That's how it lets you know that you're in the right neighborhood. The high-rent district, perhaps? (Just so you know that I ain't lost my sense of humor. :-)

But, so, no, the glans is NOT very sensitive to light touch, pain, or temperature, by actual clinical, "mono-filament sensory threshold testing", while the inner surface of the foreskin is very sensitive to light-touch. And it is FAR more sensitive than any part of a circumcised penis, by the aforementioned mono-filament testing. Far more than even that sensitive underside of the glans.

Hard to imagine, eh? And yet, it can work more like a dimmer switch than an on/off switch. Intact guys evidently have a much easier time learning self-control.

The foreskin can be quite tight, evidently, reportedly -- but how would I know? -- and this can even cause problems on occasion, problems with retraction, mainly, problems easily resolved without resorting to cutting. But the "rolling action" of the foreskin over the glans can therefore be very stimulating, and its absence may well be a major contributor to impotence if, in its absence, there is insufficient “feedback” to accomplish a satisfactory erection. The U. S., with only 5% of the world's population, accounts for more than 45% of all ED (erectile dysfunction) drug sales. For economic and cultural reasons reasons, you're not gonna sell a lot of this stuff in either Africa or Islamic cultures, so it bears mentioning that the only other population that consumes much of this stuff, on a per capita basis, is a small one--- Israel?-- Ayuh. But at less than .1% of the global population, Jewish males are otherwise statistically insignificant. How crushingly ironic, eh? :-) And nobody else circumcises.

Nobody.

It has fallen out of favor in all the other English speaking countries where it was once common. Well, it happens in South Korea, but not North Korea. (?) But only since the ‘50’s. (??)

And so to my point: high and tight, if tight enough, can be a cause of premature ejaculation, paradoxically enough! Too much pressure in the form of tautness pulling the glans down and taut, with sufficient erogenous tissue remaining, EROGENOUS TISSUE SO SENSITIVE THAT IT DOESN'T EVEN NEED TO BE TOUCHED TO REGISTER AND REPORT. No, you only need to put it in slight motion!

This has implications for her, as well. You're not too small, and she's not too big: what you ARE is insensitive, you brute!-- if you're circumcised thoroughly enough, and even a little circumcision is a significant desensitization. Even just a little off the top invariably gets the most sensitive part of the most sensitive part, because that's where it's located: right inside the tip. There you find the ridged band. I'm carryin' on, here. I gotta go. More later, with links.

The damn fool thing overall ain't s'posed ta be as tight as a goddam bongo, it's supposed to be rather more like a Shar-pei puppy, and the glans is supposed to be rather softly Gumby-ish. It's not supposed to require much, if any, friction -- she swells slightly tight at the "vestibule", or entrance -- and it's supposed to give her a massage, not an irritating rub. Vaginal irritation?-- this is a very common complaint, except--- not in intact cultures.

And Johnson isn't really supposed to ache just from standing at attention.

"Well I'll be blowed!" he said, tongue-rolling-around-in-cheek.

Not that I've ever had the problem of premature ejaculation, or PE. I'm not "high", I'm "low". I have so little left to stimulate that I just got way friekin' lucky that I figured it out, once upon a time. Took me two years from 11 to 13 before Johnson spilled the beans, and it took many years of dedicated "self-application" after that before I figured out how to make Johnson 'fess up reliably, and even then only under considerable duress.

How'd I do it? JUST ASK THEM AFAR WOMEN! Somebody somewhere tossed out a phrase: neuro-sensory remapping of the brain. I must be a fucking genius at this. I'll be sure to let you in on how this is done, just as soon as I figure out what I'm doin'. Don't hold your breath. :-)

No, I've never even had a wet dream. I've had plenty of "sexy" dreams, but they never finish "properly". The particular organism that I happen to be running was denied at birth a sufficient complement of erogenous nerve endings upon which to autonomously and organically imagine, without my conscious assistance, the desired result.

Iatrogenically Induced Organic Anorgasmia.

Hey! That's brilliant, even f I do say so myself. IIOA. Let's put that acronym in the lexicon! (Seriously, I only just now coughed that up. :-)

But you saw the pictures above. And you've been in locker rooms before. And so you know as well as I do that guys like me may be uncommon, but not exactly rare.

Cheers, my friend.

Not that this has ruined my life, or any such thing, but then, NEITHER HAS IT RUINED THE LIVES OF THOSE INFIBULATED AFAR WOMEN. That was the rather heart warming, contrasting take away from that piece. It certainly reshuffled my perceptions on the subject! Nor has it ruined the lives of those excised West African sisters you met in the Insight piece "Clear Cut".

So, how far removed from the primitive are we?--------- NOT!

And how are we to credibly confront the absurd practice(s) of FGM -- we, as cultural outsiders to their traditions -- if we insist on cutting up our males? -- I mean, really! What higher moral ground do we stand on?-- besides NUTHIN'!

And THEY kinow better than we what it's all about, this MGM business! BECAUSE WE HIDE IT FROM OURSELVES, DOWN THE HALL, OUT OF SIGHT OF MOM AND DAD. AND WE PRETEND THAT IT DOESN'T HURT LIKE FUCKING HELL, AND THAT IT'S NOT DEBILITATING! Those people in the other Insight piece, First Cut, most of ‘em don’t even know what the tissue is for in the first place, dig?

Are you getting a revised picture of the magnitude of the issue? Now, reread the Svoboda/Darby piece. It’ll take on a whole new resonance.

With a bear hug from one guy to another,

Sputty

Comment

Originally posted by Underscore View Post
                      Wow.. Onision has a bit about this... and I find myself agreeing with him!

Yes definitly a good video worth watching.

Comment

Sputty, yes again....excellent points! I can't believe how far deep this rabbit hole goes! Thank you for providing details and info!

Comment

Female genital mutilation cuts off the labia and clitoris, doesn't it?

In order for that to be even in the same ballpark of circumcision, a man would have to have the head of his penis cut off. I support circumcision, I don't support female genital mutilation. About the only downside of circumcision is that your glans may not be as sensitive, especially if you go commando. But men coming prematurely has never been a selling point, anyway.

The only kid I actually knew of when growing up who was uncut had to have surgery to fix his infected-shut penis due to having a foreskin. That is by no means an isolated incident. You may disagree, fine. So we disagree.

But FGM is absolutely nothing like circumcision.

Comment

Working...
                          X