Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I join the feminist society at my university? what are your thoughts on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I join the feminist society at my university? what are your thoughts on this?

lol...I've wanted to do this for quiet some time now....I want to use this opportunity to better understand them, the way they operate at uni and stuff like that.

Things holding me back - I'm not sure i'm going to benefit from doing this in any way. Also, joining the society costs 15 pounds and I'd sooner die than donate a penny to any feminist cause.

EDIT: Couple other things holding me back...I'm really busy with my course and the feminist society tends to kind of attract the liberal arts sorts...girls that have a 2 hour lecture week max...So they have a lot of time on their hands whilst me on the other hand I have a full week and non-stop exams throughout the year... I'm not sure I'l be able to really do this thing justice and I'm not sure I'll be able to blend in. I might just stick out like a sore thumb..lol.. I am an honest guy so I might just get kicked out on the first day..lol I'm not even sure how I should go about doing this nonsense.

I missed their first session for this year this last Monday. A session titled "Feminism 101". A two hour lecture about feminism by a girl with a spectacularly comical feminist name and they've got another event coming up this Monday for freshers called "Colouring in and Crafts"...lol...If I do sign up I might just give that one a pass, you know? for the sake of keeping my dignity intact throughout this endeavour.
    Last edited by Equity; 09-21-2017, 08:45 PM.

Originally posted by Equity View Post
    lol...I've wanted to do this for quiet some time now....I want to use this opportunity to better understand them, the way they operate at uni and stuff like that.
    A mole ...! Could be useful.

Things holding me back - I'm not sure i'm going to benefit from doing this in any way.
    The rewards will be in so far in the future that at present it will be pure sacrifice.

Also, joining the society costs 15 pounds and I'd sooner die than donate a penny to any feminist cause let alone one as frivolous as this.
    So, GoFundMe. Take care not to give your name or the name of the uni. Make them all paranoid. Two for one.

M
    Last edited by Manalysis; 09-21-2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

YES and you should RECORD IT ALL!!!!!! lol my god yes!!!
      Originally posted by MatrixTransform
      where were you before you put yourself last?
      Originally posted by TheNarrator
      Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

Comment

I think you already have a good understanding of feminism... I don't see what else you can gain from joining.

Comment

Originally posted by Manalysis View Post
          A mole ...! Could be useful.

The rewards will be in so far in the future that at present it will be pure sacrifice.

So, GoFundMe. Take care not to give your name or the name of the uni. Make them all paranoid. Two for one.

M
          Originally posted by TheNarrator View Post
          YES and you should RECORD IT ALL!!!!!! lol my god yes!!!
          Thanks for the advice and for the encouragement guys.

Originally posted by simpleman View Post
          I think you already have a good understanding of feminism... I don't see what else you can gain from joining.
          That's an interesting point simpleman. I'm kind of thinking of doing this as a diary sort of thing. Joining a feminist society, not telling them that I'm strongly anti-feminist and just kind of seeing what I can learn from the experience. Its different. Its something I've never done before.
          Last edited by Equity; 09-23-2017, 10:46 PM.

Comment

That's an interesting point simpleman. I'm kind of thinking of doing this as a diary sort of thing. Joining a feminist society, not telling them that I'm strongly anti-feminist and just kind of seeing what I can learn from the experience. Its different. Its something I've never done before.
            For some reason this reminds me of old Jules Verne novels.

M

Comment

i would
              #1 make a daily video vlog
              #2 make a daily written blog

daily i mean everytime they have a meeting.

write your thoughts out first. then make a video

perhaps even record the meetings..and put some of that video in the vblog

however i would not upload any videos online for a year or so after the fact.
              Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and for the encouragement guys.

Well... in that case, at least try to take the money with you, so at the end you can say you got something out of the experience...

Comment

I would like to join a feminist group too, but usually I get denied since I'm not a woman, and I cannot expect to have any saying on their group, because I cannot grasp what being a woman is like, because my privilege blinds me and such. Also they're very suspicious, and I don't blame them. I've been told that my place in feminism is at my home, my job, my school and such, by calling out misogyny and spreading the word as much as I can, but only in my "male enviroments".

If I could join, I would try to be as polite as possible, even help with whatever I can, as long as it seems fair to me, so they can tell that I'm really going for fairness, but I would also try to question them politely, as far as I can go. It would be so exciting, like if I were a secret agent or something.
                  So, I would say that if you can join, go ahead. I'm sure you'll get lots of valuable information, and not necessarily to undermine them, but to have a better understanding of their point of view. But if they have something to be undermined for, it would be great if you could.
                  Good luck, man.

Comment

Things holding me back - I'm not sure i'm going to benefit from doing this in any way. Also, joining the society costs 15 pounds and I'd sooner die than donate a penny to any feminist cause.

EDIT: Couple other things holding me back...I'm really busy with my course and the feminist society tends to kind of attract the liberal arts sorts...girls that have a 2 hour lecture week max...So they have a lot of time on their hands whilst me on the other hand I have a full week and non-stop exams throughout the year... I'm not sure I'l be able to really do this thing justice and I'm not sure I'll be able to blend in. I might just stick out like a sore thumb..lol.. I am an honest guy so I might just get kicked out on the first day..lol I'm not even sure how I should go about doing this nonsense.

I missed their first session for this year this last Monday. A session titled "Feminism 101". A two hour lecture about feminism by a girl with a spectacularly comical feminist name and they've got another event coming up this Monday for freshers called "Colouring in and Crafts"...lol...If I do sign up I might just give that one a pass, you know? for the sake of keeping my dignity intact throughout this endeavour.

If you do, please be sure not to bathe, brush your teeth, and eat lots of beans before each meeting. (Just want to help you blend in better...)
                    FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
                    It's time to call it out for what it is.
                    == REJECT FEMINISM. EMBRACE HUMANITY ==

The World of Men - Men's Rights / MGTOW / Sites of Interest to Men
                    http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showt...nterest-to-Men

Comment

Originally posted by simpleman View Post
                      Syphilis...
                      FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
                      It's time to call it out for what it is.
                      == REJECT FEMINISM. EMBRACE HUMANITY ==

The World of Men - Men's Rights / MGTOW / Sites of Interest to Men
                      http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showt...nterest-to-Men

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone.

i would
                        #1 make a daily video vlog
                        #2 make a daily written blog

daily i mean everytime they have a meeting.

write your thoughts out first. then make a video

perhaps even record the meetings..and put some of that video in the vblog

however i would not upload any videos online for a year or so after the fact.
                        I have gone ahead and signed up. I will try and do my best to attend as much as I can of their events and blog everything. I've had a look at their first seminar the "Feminism 101" thing. They uploaded a video of it on Facebook. They all look incredibly immature and childish. So I'm not really expecting much of anything. I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. I might not have the time for it.

Originally posted by mr_e View Post
                        If you do, please be sure not to bathe, brush your teeth, and eat lots of beans before each meeting. (Just want to help you blend in better...)
                        Mr E...lol

...and dye my hair. During their first seminar the "feminism 101" thing a couple of girls with dyed hair walked in half way through the lecture and the president of the society was like all of you are going to dye your hair come end of this year...lol..Not the brightest bunch of people these lot. I am seriously not looking forward to this endeavour.

Originally posted by mr_e View Post
                        Syphilis...
                        lol...

Originally posted by DonSeñor View Post
                        I would like to join a feminist group too, but usually I get denied since I'm not a woman, and I cannot expect to have any saying on their group, because I cannot grasp what being a woman is like, because my privilege blinds me and such. Also they're very suspicious, and I don't blame them. I've been told that my place in feminism is at my home, my job, my school and such, by calling out misogyny and spreading the word as much as I can, but only in my "male enviroments".

If I could join, I would try to be as polite as possible, even help with whatever I can, as long as it seems fair to me, so they can tell that I'm really going for fairness, but I would also try to question them politely, as far as I can go. It would be so exciting, like if I were a secret agent or something.
                        So, I would say that if you can join, go ahead. I'm sure you'll get lots of valuable information, and not necessarily to undermine them, but to have a better understanding of their point of view. But if they have something to be undermined for, it would be great if you could.
                        Good luck, man.
                        Thank you Don.
                        Last edited by Equity; 10-18-2017, 01:51 AM.

Comment

you should make diary videos and record sound and video when you can but always safely.

i bet you could make a documentary style video after......

seriously.

Comment

make sure you have time and have fun with it. join them. befriend them.. and once youre totally "IN" you'll be faced with an age old paradox me thinks.
                            i think this will be the best part of your education.
                            where are you located again? send me that in PM if you prefer

Comment

make sure you have time and have fun with it. join them. befriend them.. and once youre totally "IN" you'll be faced with an age old paradox me thinks.
                              i think this will be the best part of your education.
                              where are you located again? send me that in PM if you prefer
                              I will try to make the most of it.

I will send you a pm.

you should make diary videos and record sound and video when you can but always safely.

i bet you could make a documentary style video after......

seriously.
                              I would love to do this justice and gain something from it and then perhaps share what I have learned with others. I like keeping a record of everything that I do. I will try to record everything and film wherever possible. The influence of feminism in academia is little explored so I think there's a gap there that I could fill with my experience. This experience might come of use to people.

This week we have our National Students Union elections. This is the union that represents the interests of all 7 million students in higher education in the UK....

There's a women's representative but no male role equivalent despite men being officially considered a disadvantaged group in higher education in this country whilst women are considered a privileged group in academia in the UK.

I'm not the only one at my uni that is fighting institutionalised feminist sexism.

The following profile is from a guy standing in the election for one of the top positions in the NUS...I don't agree with his views on their being an issue of anti-Semitism in the NUS but I really do hope he wins.

Last edited by Equity; 10-18-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X