Raise Chickens...Of Course!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raise Chickens...Of Course!

Here's a good little article on how billionaires think! Mr. Gates says that if he were living on two-dollars a day (living in extreme poverty) he would 'raise chickens'.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/he...130515631.html

Billy-boy doesn't seem to realize that zoning laws (usually made and enforced by rich folks) in many parts of the Western world would require the ownership of several hundred thousand dollars worth of land in order for it to be big enough to legally raise feathered fowl.

On a two dollars a day income, it might take a little time to get together a down payment for such property not even mentioning the extreme unlikelihood of qualifying for a loan.

Rich people say the darnedest things...
    "The truth is sometimes a poor competitor in the market of ideas" George F. Kennan

If I was living in a 2 dollars a day I would raise Cuy... but that maybe is because my South American cultural heritage... Heck I maybe just start up my own cuy farm on my apartment, anyway.

The main point that cuy have over chicken, if you are in a extremely poor place, is that your neighbors will wait until the chicken is big and then steal it. You can have the cuys inside the housing, in a cage by the kitchen, they will make not noise, reproduce like rats, and you feed them trash, like banana peals and stuff, though if you are too much poor maybe you want to eat those banana peals and find something else to feed the cuy with.

Chickens, by themselves are not a bad idea, if you are in a rural setting, where you can build a chicken cage, you will be able to harvest eggs and occasionally eat an animal, or sell it. But they certainly need space, so in a small house or in an apartment you will not be able to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Autolite View Post
      Here's a good little article on how billionaires think! Mr. Gates says that if he were living on two-dollars a day (living in extreme poverty) he would 'raise chickens'.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/he...130515631.html

Billy-boy doesn't seem to realize that zoning laws (usually made and enforced by rich folks) in many parts of the Western world would require the ownership of several hundred thousand dollars worth of land in order for it to be big enough to legally raise feathered fowl.

On a two dollars a day income, it might take a little time to get together a down payment for such property not even mentioning the extreme unlikelihood of qualifying for a loan.

Rich people say the darnedest things...
      I think Bill Gates was talking about the people in developing nations, about 2 billion of whom do actually earn about $2 (or less) a day. His wife and him have done quite a bit of charitable work in Africa, so maybe that's what his focus was.

Ironically enough, I do know him to be wrong, and growing chickens is not a sure fire thing. It's cheaper in many African nations to buy chicken at the multinational grocery stores than it is to grow them.
      “No one is free who has not obtained the empire of himself. No man is free who cannot command himself.”
      ― Pythagoras

Comment

Originally posted by simpleman View Post
        Chickens, by themselves are not a bad idea, if you are in a rural setting, where you can build a chicken cage, you will be able to harvest eggs and occasionally eat an animal, or sell it. But they certainly need space, so in a small house or in an apartment you will not be able to do this.
        The point being it would be illegal in most parts of North America AFAIK to raise any sort of livestock without owning a certain minimum amount of property. Just physically having enough room to build a chicken cage or a pen does not mean that you could legally do so.

In any case, if I had to live on two dollars a day, I'd probably engage primarily in dumpster diving and it's unlikely that even that would be legal in very many places...
        "The truth is sometimes a poor competitor in the market of ideas" George F. Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by Autolite View Post
          The point being it would be illegal in most parts of North America AFAIK to raise any sort of livestock without owning a certain minimum amount of property. Just physically having enough room to build a chicken cage or a pen does not mean that you could legally do so.

In any case, if I had to live on two dollars a day, I'd probably engage primarily in dumpster diving and it's unlikely that even that would be legal in very many places...
          OK... so... how the government is goign to find out? and what they goign to do about it?

Comment

Originally posted by simpleman View Post
            OK... so... how the government is goign to find out? and what they goign to do about it?
            Well, the same way the government, the police or anyone in authority finds out about anything, somebody will rat you out!

I am fortunate in that I have reasonably good neighbours, but I also put a tremendous amount of effort into keeping on good terms with most of those who live around me. I try very hard to be friends with my neighbours because I know that it's human nature and quite easy for people to go to the police or the local government to try and fuck you over should you piss anyone off. Breaking a municipal bylaw will certainly most likely end up with you having to pay a large fine.

Unless you live alone on a deserted island your neighbours are your biggest liability. If you should do anything at all that your neighbours think might adversely effect local property values (like raising noisy chickens in your backyard) they will most certainly squeal on you! I am a little surprised that this needed to be explained...

Comment

Originally posted by malcolm View Post
              I think Bill Gates was talking about the people in developing nations, about 2 billion of whom do actually earn about $2 (or less) a day. His wife and him have done quite a bit of charitable work in Africa, so maybe that's what his focus was.
              I agree that that seemed to be the gist of it. I wonder how many people living on two dollars a day in Africa would have seen his on-line advice though...

Comment

I would probably just eat 2 cans of tuna a day and eventually get mercury poisoning.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M

Comment

Working...
                X